Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Power to the people  (Read 10292 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Power to the people
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:50 am »

Two concepts. Geo-Thermal drilling

http://blog.google.org/2011/10/new-geothermal-map-of-united-states.html Useful when in an applicable area. Involves some deep core drilling.

Thorium Reactors. Would involve some mining which is perfect and some cool byproducts.

BTW this is an awesome video. I suggest everyone watch it and pass it on.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:01:43 am by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Power to the people
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:26 am »

Yeah, I was thinking exactly about this after viewing the video on G+. Just advertising the concept in Outerra by using Thorium reactors everywhere :)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:28:29 pm »

Hawe known about the Th-solution for  longer time, hawent known, that the pol. sphere is waiting like this ... as for others, already some years is an H-fusion reactor under construction :
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=249400
(Cant find the original docu. about| Still, it will need an uninterrupted flow of hydrogen, and the whole hi-temparature-pressure mass will be held in place by a ring-like cirkular high el.-mag. field ... there the catch of potential risks at stake, also, still the old good water-heating eletricity gaining process. And Hydrogen still has no werry efficient and low-energy capable production. : / .... as for other, there was an interesting document about the black-mould inside the chernobyl Sargofag. It seems after the studies, that radiation atracts it and its growing more and more in the way of higher radiation levels.  ... Actually, fungi was the reason of the MIR-destruction, it was nearly health-treathing to be there. Will be surely the ISS´s end too ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »

While we are at it, just today there was a test of cold fusion device http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/29/rossi-success
They call it a success, supposedly it run in a self-sustained mode for more than five hours, producing 470 kilowatts of heat. However, the credibility of the testing is still low.

PytonPago

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:09:28 am »

Well .. DARPA, if they are involved in such a potent powerful energy source, theres got to be something behind it. : / ... Butt, thumbs up for the siences, and a little of theory to it, if someone is interested :
http://www.coldfusionenergyscience.com/theory (in an aceptional form for non-chemists and nuklear physicists|
Still, i dont know, how they want to deal whyte the fact, that it is a fusion-only system, so the temponary gain of Helium occurs whyte no way of splitting it back to helium to "refuell" the whole thing. Just like in the sun, when the H2 goes out, no more fuel is present to power the star and it goes to die. I know that the energy-gain is too significant to simply go dry on H2 and water its gained from butt still, it doesnt look to me as an "ideal" way of making things if its still not self-recharging capable.
Its an werry chalenging thing to find such an energysource, especially when it should make enormous energy in a werry small volume. In fact, selfrechargable would be ewen burning H2 to wather and splitting them in a cycle, butt the problem here i the chemistry fact, that plitting them takes more energy, than we can harwest from the heat-effect of their back-reaction - to the nuclear solutions where the splitting goes fine whyte an energygain for us, but then the problem of fusion or getting it back occurs .. (yellow uranium oxide as a waste from to-time used atomic approach| .. that is why Th-methode katches me the most, cus they found a relatively simple and safe (to the exeption of a H2 tank for the recycling process| methode to make it almost no other material-needed state. Just like in an organism - ATP splitts whyte an energygain for our body needs and is recreated trough an cycle. Mybe an biologicaly-complicated, butt stil functional in normal temparature and pressure and in a way, that in combination needs way lesser energy to form ATP than its splitting gave us. .. Just an Enginering principle: - simple is idiotproof, - selfrechargable is economicproof and normal state dependacies (T, p| makes it safetyproof (to the aception of using hazardous materials in concentrated state of course :D|.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:11:39 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

OGREMAN

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:16:15 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking exactly about this after viewing the video on G+. Just advertising the concept in Outerra by using Thorium reactors everywhere :)

Great Video, liquid thorium reactors are a game changer for the status quo in energy production.... abundant energy for all, I dont understand why it was not developed way back in the 60s.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 02:45:12 am »

I guess add this to the list. http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-12/machine-might-save-world  Nothing new but I like simple and this is that.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »

I guess add this to the list. http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-12/machine-might-save-world  Nothing new but I like simple and this is that.

... i dont know much of that part of chemical physics, butt .... isnt it a little odd project ? ?? ...

They hawent really sepecified the proces as the reactants in that article ... as much as im concerned ... how do they want to propulse the more than 180 celsius hot lithium so fast, that its kinetic energy makes in an ball-shaped space a "huricane-eye" , thats one of the things. Would like to know its El.-mag. field properities, as its a kind of our Earths-core basis ... seems that the forcefield would be like an circle-magnet type, that would make some one sided acceleration in the middle, still, dont know if they suceed to do it in the way of the Ionized-gas stream and how it will compensate its possible recharge...
The other problem is, its an enter-type reactor, that after the fusion has to be shutt,, refit its volume (He-outflow + other products elimination|, lithium acelerated and "shoot" again, making energy just this moment of the fusion-blast. It has to make A LOT of energy to cower that expences ... not to mention, that they want not to use the energy at place, but physically drain the hot liquid from the core to a heat-exchanger as seems to me by a tube ?? ...
... the third is the construction itself, , its a fusion itself, i know, that an ionized gas of small wolumes normally needs some el.-mag. energy to be held in wanted volumes relative to its own charge (the way they will force it to flow to the core| butt, after the fusion, helium will take some greater volume, specially in higher temparature ... and pressure, that will be, in the moment, created .... in an effective mass of being eletricity capable (generate enough heat, that will force a lot of cubic meters of water vaporize to kick the generator|, isnt it a little bit much pressure to be held ? ... in a way, the only way to make it controlable is the mass of reactants introducet in the first place. If somethngs happens to introduce more, the construction would be damaged and neded an complete change ... at the same time, the fact that it will presurry-pulse will make the core construction go for some limited lifetime anyway (Ether by the pistons, or the aftermath of the fusion|... So the construction to be long-live has to have an werry strong hull (a thick one that means for the 3m diameter core and the forces for it| ... not to mention the fact, that the kinetic energy of the rotating liquid will most likely "eat" some of the piston energy as for their actual state + gravity making an bunch of problems at creating the rotational liquid, the actuall large-scale deformation of the space for the reaction gas valve (the water no matter the piston-force will be colappsing the "eye" sooner at the bottom than at the tom - neded to give some more punch to the higher pistons - making another structural stress to the core construction| and the fact, that the itlets of the ionized gas has to be open/closed in a fast way, still be constructed to whytestand the pressure comming ...

A lot of these problems comes from the fact, that its not an flow-proces, making a need of several of such cores working in timeline so the heat-production will not be repeatedly interrupted by the cores needs to start it all over again (like postons of a car to make an constant energy outcome|.

... so ... what the hell ? .. its not an "bad" idea, butt it lacks some thinking in making it a little bit of "less-force-needed" or ecofreandly in an energetic angle ... and in my opinion, it would really be like an car engine ... whyte an reality-effectiweness of a portion to the unneeded heat going around, butt in this case in a form of lots of work to make another shot ... : / ... making an fosil mowement engine on limited oil-reserves to an water heat engine on abundant water resources of our planet ... I was writting about he little factor of a bad recycle-posability of He to H2 ... its an really low amount, but in this kind of construction, it really makes me to think as another future problem : /

Actually the only "simple thing" on it is the fact, that it doest need so much pressure and temparature like the fusion-solution planed to be finished around 2050 (so by a el.-mag. defect, helded sunlike matter wouldnt make a mess of anything around till it drops its temparature| ... otherwise, its a pain in the ass, as the fact that the forgig of the core hull will need a lot of efforts, not to mention it costs, when it would be needed to be changed after damaging and life-expiration ...

Guessing, thats the reason for the undertitel: that's a big, fat "might" :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:20:35 pm by PytonPago »