Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Dying in Outerra: The Game  (Read 14264 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Dying in Outerra: The Game
« on: April 30, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »

Because of that other post, I got to thinking about what happens when you die in Outerra The Game.

Since the prologue Novella has already establish cryogenics, my thought is that when a person dies, you see a medivac helicopter or hovership come and pick up your body, and carry it back to the nearest "hospital."  There, you are placed in a cryogenic chamber, doctors work on you to fix you back up, and you wake up fully restored (with maybe some sort of penalty, depending on the mechanics of the game).  Of course, all this happens instantly (except for the cutscene of the medivac picking you up), so there would be no real down-time in waiting.

On screen, you will see an overlay message:

"ZeosPantera was just killed by cshawnsmith.
Medichip transmitting GPS coordinates ...
Medivac ship dispatched."

(Sorry Zeos :lol)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:15:07 pm »

Oh, and it would be nice to have "kill-spam" displayed to everyone within the region ;)  Infamy goes a long way to making a player versus player aspect interesting.  It will also help people identify griefers, and organize a posse to take that person out.

"ZeosPantera was just killed by cshawnsmith."
"cshawnsmith just killed Cameni."
"Angrypig just ended cshawnsmith's reign of terror."

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:22:52 pm »

I find some issues with your plan, when you die tens of miles outside a colony, perhaps while walking 10 feet from your prized not-a-tatra, It is safe to presume it isn't air lifted back with you. Now I don't want an insta-respawn as that isn't a good enough deterrent from death.

I guess the first thing we need to discuss before what happens when we die is WHAT CAN KILL US?

Can we die from falls while walking? Or crashing vehicles like the tatra or apache? Does the vehicle sustain damage and make it useless when we do crash? Can we starve to death? Will monsters kill us?

Perhaps a system where death is not instant. For example if we all wore HL2 style hazard suits and when normally death would have occured we can be use up our hurt quota 3-5 times and at the end of our "protection cycle" we then really die and are respawned (cloned?) back at the hospital of our choosing leaving all equipment behind at the site of our death . Make it so before we leave on an "adventure" we charge up our Protection suit and only if we repeatedly "die" out there do we actually die out there.

It could be another upgrade where you can extend the energy storage capacity of your suit. Never quite reaching invincible but certainly doubling the starting value.

Seriously we need to discuss vehicle death scenario's. Nobody wants to spend 4 hours flying over the Atlantic only to "accidentally" plunge into the ocean when the phone rings and be re-spawned back home with no plane.

Also a log of our deaths should be kept with Lat Lon cords, time date and perhaps a list of resources we had when we died. Persistant dead bodies that decay in the sun and stay for months and years would be sweet for lack of a better word. Just leave yourself out there and check-up on it from time to time.

ZeosPantera resurrects self
cshawnsmith craps pants
Zeos now reigns over all of earth as an undying zombie lord
all hail Zeos
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »

Well the player should be more associated with his base/colony pod than with a concrete person there. I always lean towards making the background more logical and believable. So my idea is such that colonizers come in the ship with only a few humans active initially, but with tens of others in cryostasis. You'll be able to defrost them only if you can support the crew by providing them with food and energy/resources. This can happen when some of your figures die or you ramp up the production through economic growth.

And with that I'd say - let them die hard. Generating optional recovery tasks because vehicles and stuff aren't cheap, making it all serious.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Well the player should be more associated with his base/colony pod than with a concrete person there. I always lean towards making the background more logical and believable. So my idea is such that colonizers come in the ship with only a few humans active initially, but with tens of others in cryostasis. You'll be able to defrost them only if you can support the crew by providing them with food and energy/resources. This can happen when some of your figures die or you ramp up the production through economic growth.

And with that I'd say - let them die hard. Generating optional recovery tasks because vehicles and stuff aren't cheap, making it all serious.

In that case, you're talking about being able to control your own colony instead of a single individual player character?  More like an RTS style, but with FP aspects?

And Zeos, I don't crap my pants :)  I get revenge :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »

If we are talking that the game will be slow paced (in comparison to RTS clickfests), it will take time to drive somewhere or to mine resources. It would be boring if you could only play a single character at a time there. I'd like to be able to switch the characters, so it would be either AI driving to a mine for load, or you could overtake the character, Matrix style :)

It shouldn't be a RTS with an unexplained view from above (unless you get a drone overviewing the area), but essentially a hive where everybody represents/obeys you .. I hope you know what I mean  ;)

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 04:27:36 pm »

If that's the case, then awesome!  Dying becomes less problematic under those circumstances, since you can just "hire" new NPCs as long as funds allow.

Blackhawk998

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:28:03 pm »

I really like that idea of controlling multiple people. I was just wondering how this would work in the Online part of the game. For instance, would everyone in the colony be able to control everyone else as well? Say i left an AI doing a job, then someone takes over that character after I leave and makes him do something different, ruining my plan because the AI is longer doing what I needed it to be doing? Or would this just have to be solved through communication or would there be a away to limit who could control what in the colony? If that makes sense at all

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 11:58:29 pm »

My hope is that when multi-player is finally realized the colony of 250 workers (me and 249 AI) can instead consist of me, 5 people and 244 AI. You could almost consider a colony to be like a current "server" type society where everyone puts clan tags in front of their name and represents that server and that community. But unlike every other game out there outerra is one giant server(world) and our clan is literally just that. A random collection of players with similar interest that live in a geographically limited area using combined skills and efforts to better ourselves.

Body jumping is definitely going to be needed. I just wonder if that will make it difficult to deal with PvP.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:15:23 am »

Quote from: Blackhawk998
I really like that idea of controlling multiple people. I was just wondering how this would work in the Online part of the game. For instance, would everyone in the colony be able to control everyone else as well? Say i left an AI doing a job, then someone takes over that character after I leave and makes him do something different, ruining my plan because the AI is longer doing what I needed it to be doing? Or would this just have to be solved through communication or would there be a away to limit who could control what in the colony? If that makes sense at all

A longer time ago, when we were discussing another game type with tribes joining to form duchies and kingdoms, either voluntarily or by force, the idea was such that to keep things simple, you always controlled your people and no one else could. There would always be a hierarchy, and vassals lose say 20% of their workforce to landlord. People at higher hierarchical positions would be able to build some things that no ordinary tribe could, in order to motivate the tribes to form higher state forms.

I think a similar idea can be implemented here. To form an alliance would mean joining together existing lands of players, everyone paying taxes to a central authority that can use them to build stuff that would be otherwise unreachable. For example highways or high speed rails would be possible only for states of certain size.

Those 20% of workforce available to state could be reassigned to players to perform certain duties. I guess players will become specialized and could carry out specific tasks in addition to their normal duties in their original land.

Of course, this could grow arbitrarily complex once we start considering the ability to wage wars and occupying and seizing lands and such. But I'm wondering if the system is just right: if you voluntarily join a state, you give 20% of income, workforce etc to the state. If you lose to a force and are taken over, you retain your lands and everything (only your military could have been destroyed, but you represent the tribe/nation), and you lose 20% of income and people (there is always a percentage of people that would collaborate with usurpers normally) to the invader - exactly the same in both cases.

It may have some psychological effects, but it's upon you. Your land size roughly corresponds to your population, so if you start to care less and your income falls, you won't be able to keep the same amount of people and consequently start losing the land. Eventually you could revert back to the initial piece of land with the colony pod buried into earth, and it can be possible to move your pod into another place if you found yourself in a hostile country, though it has to have some advantages in comparison to just starting over with a new account.

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
Re: Dying in Outerra: The Game
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 05:27:38 am »

I know this is old, but it came up as "new" in the forum software, so i figured i'd reply anyway.

I really like Cameni's idea, except that you should be able to turn traitor and receive a benefit (apart from making your assets those which are less affected), as well as a complex system for alliances.
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

Japith

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »

Wait wait wait, how are you guys playing Outerra? Ive been lurking around this engine for a while now and no where I can find a way to play it for my self!!?? How did u guys play? I reaally want to be able to walk around in Outerra for my self please tell me !

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:58:01 pm »

These topics are discussing the planning for the upcoming release of a full fledged game in Outerra. The only people walking around currently are the handful of beta testers.

Hopefully in a few weeks the updates to stability and compatibility can be made that will allow a full public released Tech Demo which will allow you and anyone else to test Outerra.