Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Alpha] Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk v.0.2.0  (Read 28851 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
[Alpha] Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk v.0.2.0
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:57 am »

Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk v.0.2.0 (4/25/2015)    Download UH-60.GNU.otx

This uses free 3d model as a placeholder that I found on TurboSquid with a Royalty Free License for All Extended Uses. It is low poly, and the cockpit is poor quality, sorry. I'm trying to find one of higher quality with a virtual cockpit.

The FDM is still that of the AH-64 as I work on the UH-60 FDM, however it is all in one package now, instead before the FDM was scattered in a number of folders in ./Anteworld/jsbsim/.

Current Features:
  • Working GPS Navigation System. Basic calculation of distance and forward azimuth to home-point or waypoint.
  • Working HSI, with Compass and Bearing Needle for forward azimuth to home-point or waypoint.
  • Set variable nav_mode between GPS and Compass HSI Bearing.
  • Set variable gps_mode between Home and Waypoint.
  • Working 3-axis attitude indicator (pitch, roll, heading navball)
  • All helicopter FDM files contained within OTX (AH-64 is fragmented)
  • In First Person View the camera shakes simulating motion and vibration. This may be disabled by setting variable var vibration = 0; near top of script.
  • Interior and exterior sounds
  • Light Switch preferences at the top of script to easily turn lights on or off as desired.
  • Strobe lights
  • Landing lights
  • Cabin lights

Notes:

'H' key enables hover mode!

Edit variable/preferences in script with Alt+E to edit script then reload button.

You must edit your eng.cfg file ( ./Anteworld_Data/eng.cfg ) and set min_obj_size = .01, or similar small value. If you don't do this, you won't be able to see critical components of the HSI indicator, including the arrow on the Bearing Needle, and forward azimuth line above the Compass Card.

The navigation system is currently set to Home Point mode, therefore the home point is where you spawn the aircraft, and it updated every time you reload the script. Therefore, if you want to keep the home point as the location of the runway touchdown point so you can navigate back to the runway, you can spawn the aircraft at that position, and it will automatically set that as the home point, or alternatively you can taxi to the touchdown point (runway touchdown threshold markings are the white lines white lines) and hit Alt+R to re-load the script. Now the home point is updated to the touchdown point, which is useful for landing. Hence fourth, you can reload the script at any point in the flight to set that as the home point to return to. Remember to configure your light preferences in the variables near the top of script before take off, as changing them in flight and reloading the script will re-set the home point.

When I have some time I'll add the parameters for speed and altitude for the home point/waypoints. That way you'll know what altitude (ASL) and speed are indicated for the approach.

Suggestions and comments welcome. Enjoy!

Regards,
Uriah

P.S. Set variable light_switch = 0; and hit Alt+V for Night Vision mode!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:46:33 am by Uriah »

M7

Re: [WIP] Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:19 am »

Sounds like a great plan, i love helicopters!

Uriah

• Global Moderator
Re: [Alpha] Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:15:13 am »

Alpha version released!  8) download link at the beginning of the thread.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Uriah

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:39 pm »

Pretty funky curves there ... specially at the rotor base.  ::)

Am i seeing bad, or is that second one on the IR channel showing off some heat signatures on the hull ? And camera shaking ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:49:13 pm »

Hey there Pyton,

Yeah, it is a technology demonstrator after all, not much of a pretty bird. I am most concerned with pioneering new functionality which will attract developers who can build more exquisite mods with these tools, such as the camera shake function, which I hear my be seeing use in a certain upcoming mod!  :-X

You could use the camera shake function in the Ural to bounce the camera up and down using the compression and decompression of the shocks and add the random javascript function I use to apply noise the camera position variable in the z axis, and add a little random shake to the x and y axis. If you need help just ask.

Regards,
Uriah

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:01 pm »

"It is low poly, and the cockpit is poor quality, sorry."

Sorry? You are providing it for free, man!!! Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:00:13 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:56:08 pm »

You're most welcome!

I hope the camera shake isn't too much, you can easily turn it down but changing a few constants in the variables, but I plan to add a variable to the top of the script to change the shake minor and major magnitude.

//Pilot View Vibration

var x_pos = -0.675;
    var y_pos = -0.029;
    var z_pos = -0.201;

var random_x = 0.02*((-1+Math.random()*1)*dt);
    var random_y = 0.02*((-1+Math.random()*1)*dt);
    var random_z = 0.02*((-1+Math.random()*1)*dt);

var random_x_pos = x_pos+random_x-(random_y*0.1)+(random_z*0.01);
    var random_y_pos = y_pos+random_y-(random_z*0.1)+(random_x*0.01);
    var random_z_pos = z_pos+random_z-(random_x*0.1)+(random_y*0.01);

this.set_fps_camera_pos({x:random_x_pos,y:random_y_pos,z:random_z_pos});

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:51:31 am »

Hey there Pyton,

Yeah, it is a technology demonstrator after all, not much of a pretty bird. I am most concerned with pioneering new functionality which will attract developers who can build more exquisite mods with these tools, such as the camera shake function, which I hear my be seeing use in a certain upcoming mod!  :-X

You could use the camera shake function in the Ural to bounce the camera up and down using the compression and decompression of the shocks and add the random javascript function I use to apply noise the camera position variable in the z axis, and add a little random shake to the x and y axis. If you need help just ask.

Regards,
Uriah

Not a bad idea ... will be definitely interesting when it drives some challenging terrain .... doe, not sure if its good for modes like rift (may be a little bit disorienting, or giving a false sense of un-ease), ill better give an option to turn it off when i add this.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:16:20 am »

Camera shake is excellent as it is :)

Hover mode is kinda funky, but I should'nt activate it when I'm moving at 80 mp/h  :-X

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »

I am going to add and an Oculus Rift variable which sets the script to Rift Mode, including setting each variable to the best settings/performance, so the shake will be minimized and most lights turned off for high frame rate.

EDIT: OOOOPS! Wrong aircraft, the following paragraph was about the F-35 not the UH-60. I must be tired! On the UH-60, in hover mode (H key) I find it flies quite nice, but the new FDM will be far better.

Original F-35 comment (incorrectly referencing the UH-60):
The hover mode is a work in progress. I don't fully understand the control systems such as the autopilot system, so I had to implement a temporary solution in the js script to hold pitch/roll using differential thrust and vectoring. It will be improved once we figure out the rest of the autopilot functions.

Regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:56:40 pm by Uriah »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:29:57 am »

Here is the update I promised for the UH-60 Black Hawk. (Still using AH-64 FDM)

Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk v.0.2.0 (4/25/2015)    Download UH-60.GNU.otx

Notes:

You will need to edit your eng.cfg file ( ./Anteworld_Data/eng.cfg ) and set min_obj_size = .01, or similar small value. If you don't do this, you won't be able to see critical components of the HSI indicator, including the arrow on the Bearing Needle, and forward azimuth line above the Compass Card.

The navigation system is currently set to Home Point mode, therefore the home point is where you spawn the aircraft, and it updated every time you reload the script. Therefore, if you want to keep the home point as the location of the runway touchdown point so you can navigate back to the runway, you can spawn the aircraft at that position, and it will automatically set that as the home point, or alternatively you can taxi to the touchdown point (runway touchdown threshold markings are the white lines white lines) and hit Alt+R to re-load the script. Now the home point is updated to the touchdown point, which is useful for landing. Hence fourth, you can reload the script at any point in the flight to set that as the home point to return to. Remember to configure your light preferences in the variables near the top of script before take off, as changing them in flight and reloading the script will re-set the home point.

When I have some time I'll add the parameters for speed and altitude for the home point/waypoints. That way you'll know what altitude (ASL) and speed are indicated for the approach.

Also, you can use Hover Mode ('H' key) if you don't have a joystick to properly control the helicopter.

Best regards,
Uriah

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:46:57 am by Uriah »

PytonPago

Re: [Alpha] Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk v.0.2.0
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 01:21:01 am »

Found this little paper whyle on the net ... i think it would interest you Uriah ... its a NASA mathematical model revision.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840015585.pdf

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 03:45:50 am »

Very good find indeed. The lift and drag coefficients, torque and moments give me nearly everything necessary. You will notice this is a ten degrees of freedom mathematical model, adding axis to the JSB model will be very difficult, but I believe it is possible. Thanks PytonPago!

Regards,
Uriah

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »

Looks great so far. Ive flown it as it is now, and it flys like it wants to fly. Thats the thing though, isnt it, that a traditional helicopter with one rotor and a anti-torque tailrotor wont fly without strict and careful control of cyclic, collective and pedals.

What im asking is that will it react to for example the Vortex Effect, or negative blade effect, or even ground resonanse ( doubt it since it got wheels, rather than skids, but its not improbable).

But dont take this wrong, im just saying that this is awesome piece of work, keep on doing the good work you're doing :)
Without Sikorsky, we wouldnt be here !

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 03:51:26 pm »

Found this little paper whyle on the net ... i think it would interest you Uriah ... its a NASA mathematical model revision.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840015585.pdf

Oh god one look at that paper and i felt my brain was melting.. glad im not a mathematician :P
Without Sikorsky, we wouldnt be here !
Pages: [1] 2