Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cost of the terrain creation.  (Read 15914 times)

Dharma Initiative

• Enter: 4815162342
Re: Cost of the terrain creation.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:18 pm »

i have a question about  how does the land that's under water make it to the top and water fades ? i mean take a little lake and then the water naturaly evaporates more less but how does that happens in here ? is there someone working on it or it's done automatically here ? i see some little rocky islands coming out of the water bottom floor into the surface ! so is this done by someone or it's programmed to do so originally ? thanx to all for reply !

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 01:43:33 am »

Right now the water is simply everywhere where the elevation is below the mean sea level. So, if the land around the Caspian sea is around -28 meters below the mean global sea level, in OT it will be all underwater up to 0 meters height, because there's simply an implicit sea surface at 0 meters. It isn't being simulated - i.e there's no vapor loss and water flow computed, so no matter how small a lake would be encircled by land, it won't evaporate by itself. Rocky islands are just placed procedurally into shallow sea areas.

The simulation would be too expensive and due to various errors it even could not get to the same state as the reality. What we are going to do instead is basically applying polygon patches that artificially lower or raise the water level, creating dried land depressions under the mean sea level and lakes, respectively.

Dharma Initiative

• Enter: 4815162342
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:55 am »

I see now ! This explains pretty well ! Thank you once :) ! You guys out there are geniuses to create such fabulous stuff ! Honestly can't wait to see my homeland complete :) also any other as well such as I said earlier is Gibraltar , also Israel And Switzerland ! Thanx once again ! Best of luck to everyone ! Peace :)
Pages: 1 [2]