Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: free downloadable models  (Read 11587 times)

konaone

free downloadable models
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »

Hello everyone, I thought it might be interesting to note the free downloadable models of aircraft and not.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/5638/fsx-acceleration-boeing-bae-t-45c-goshawk-v210/

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
Re: free downloadable models
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:22:37 pm »

As this plane if from Dino Cattaneo,  there's the same issue found on the F-35, it contains copyrighted content that cannot be used on third parties.
I've asked for permission for all his planes when I asked for the F-35.

I know, it's a real shame, his models are really beautiful!

bomber

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:03:14 am »

Would it be the 2d textures?.... Why not simply do your own.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:16:51 am »

There's also potentially another solution....  What file format does the 2d come in? If it's native photoshop etc, it might be that the restrictions are lifted as they're converted to dds.

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:52:55 am »

The textures comes in DDS format and there are some PSD files as well, but I don't think the problem would be only with the textures...

You may want to read this: My two cents on the freeware thing and other topics.
Quote from: Dino Cattaneo on Thursday, August 28, 2014
- Converting my models in other simulators or for other purposes: this is NOT allowed, and, in general, I am NOT releasing my source models. Reason for this is not, as several people suggested, that I am not willing to share my work. The fact is that some parts of my models are derivative of third party work of which I do not have the rights or permission to share.
This does not mean that I am not willing to cooperate with other designers - on the contrary none of my work could have reached the current quality level without external contibutions! - but I am not in the legal position to authorize other people to use my models.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:56:00 am by Levi »

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 07:33:58 am »

So..........

Would he release it for Outerra itself under his own name, with just some help in the translation?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:38:52 am »

That would be great, but I don't think he's interested at all to develop for Outerra at this point...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:41:18 am »

The textures comes in DDS format and there are some PSD files as well, but I don't think the problem would be only with the textures...

You may want to read this: My two cents on the freeware thing and other topics.
Quote from: Dino Cattaneo on Thursday, August 28, 2014
- Converting my models in other simulators or for other purposes: this is NOT allowed, and, in general, I am NOT releasing my source models. Reason for this is not, as several people suggested, that I am not willing to share my work. The fact is that some parts of my models are derivative of third party work of which I do not have the rights or permission to share.
This does not mean that I am not willing to cooperate with other designers - on the contrary none of my work could have reached the current quality level without external contibutions! - but I am not in the legal position to authorize other people to use my models.

... actually, that brought me to thinking - he said parts of the model work is a deriate/accendance of other, legaly protected work. So, better question is now, how would the model look like, if these parts are deleted and re-modeled by us ? ... ya know, its protected, cause its someones work - but swap those parts by your own work and then there is no legal reference .... only problem is, the creator has to remember witch those were and do the deletion manually (if still has the original pre-import model data) and how much of a portion of that work needs to be re-modeled. Id personally say, if we want them to be using full planned OT functionality, than cockpits can be generally excluded from the model, as it would need a total re-work anyway. (of course, if they dont share UV-s too much, witch would then some tweaking too). ... some portions of the airframe could be hand-worked too, but in this, im certain that it will be aether the whole cockpit, the whole external model, or something with texture-related legal issues.  But it may be worth a try to ask him if such approach would be taken good from his side, if ya really want that plane.

... just my thoughts, doe.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:51 am »

That would be great, but I don't think he's interested at all to develop for Outerra at this point...

Yeah, there seems to be a couple of versions of that out there:

1) Just not interested.

2) Waiting for Outerra to develop more.

3) Just not interested in Outerra (Usually too invested in some other platform(s)

4) Believes Outerra is overrated. (Usually a form of protectionism for another sim they are invested/involved in)

Flight simmers as a group are fickle though, and I suspect an awful lot will grow increasingly more interested in doing things for Outerra as the programs capabilities evolve. I've always thought the critical tipping point will be when Outerra can roughly match most of the capabilities of vanilla, out-of-the-box FSX.

Its already at about the same place as other well thought of programs that are actually out there for sale on Steam, like Aerofly.

What Outerra mostly lacks is polish.

A lot of the technical pieces are there (or incoming) but there are gaps, and it all needs to be pulled together into a thematic whole.

At that point, Outerra will probably have more people (enthusiasts, not professionals) flinging content at it than it will know what to do with.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:09:41 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 08:30:29 am »

@PytonPago,
It's an idea, but it would complicate things a lot!
And looking through Readme files, it becomes a bit confusing. Here's what the Credits part says for his F-14 Tomcat:

3D model,textures,virtual cockpit and flight model by........Dino Cattaneo
Head Up display by......................................................Jivko Rusev, based on code by Scott Printz
Custom XML controls by...............................................Rob Barendregt
Sound package by......................................................Serge Luzin
VF-31 and VF-2 repaints by..........................................Jiri Soukup
VF-213 repaint reworked on an original by.....................Hanimichal
Additional VF-213 and VF-101 repaints by.......................Groom Lake Simulations
Weapon models courtesy of..........................................Vertical Reality Simulations

@HiFlyer,
Yep, that's true, and it's understandable as well.
I guess it's just a matter of time until those gaps will be filled up, and then, hopefully more enthusiasts will jump aboard to create content for Outerra...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 08:39:23 am »

3D model,textures,virtual cockpit and flight model by........Dino Cattaneo
Head Up display by......................................................Jivko Rusev, based on code by Scott Printz
Custom XML controls by...............................................Rob Barendregt
Sound package by......................................................Serge Luzin
VF-31 and VF-2 repaints by..........................................Jiri Soukup
VF-213 repaint reworked on an original by.....................Hanimichal
Additional VF-213 and VF-101 repaints by.......................Groom Lake Simulations
Weapon models courtesy of..........................................Vertical Reality Simulations[/i][/size]

... well, that would mean the model itself (no sound, no costum textures, no HUD, no weapon models and no XMLs1) is probably usable. But is true, that they may re-port it to OT one day themselve witehout the need to deal about such stuff.   

... well, then is truly better to focus on fully free package planes or building our own. Ill do my best with the other one. :))
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 09:05:28 am »

... well, that would mean the model itself (no sound, no costum textures, no HUD, no weapon models and no XMLs1) is probably usable. But is true, that they may re-port it to OT one day themselve witehout the need to deal about such stuff.   
Exactly, but I've pointed out this when I asked for permission, and it seems that it still cannot be used like this neither...
Yep, I really hope one day developers like Dino will port their work into Outerra, and not only porting...

... well, then is truly better to focus on fully free package planes or building our own. Ill do my best with the other one. :))
Indeed, and I wish you the best with the SU-39, it's a nice plane that already looks great!

konaone

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 03:17:10 pm »