Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is another Sim coming?  (Read 9945 times)

HiFlyer

Is another Sim coming?
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:08:49 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/2z2g1w/new_flight_sim_fs_world_are_you_interested/

Well this thread has them all abuzz at reddit and the fish are leaping at the line. Its interesting, because there was a similar thread (though not from an existing developer) at AVSIM once, that received a similarly ecstatic reaction. Unfortunately, but perhaps not surprisingly, it went nowhere.

Now we have this. Look good? Yes. can they do it? Who knows.

I just thought/think its funny how the crowd went for the previous post and now this, with nothing to actually show for it, when Outerra is here with actual software in hand.

I wish these new guys luck! In the meantime, I have to say I like Flight Simmers. We is funny!  =D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

bomber

Re: Is another Sim coming?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:09:16 pm »

The point I'd make is the interest....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:17:50 pm »

The point I'd make is the interest....

The interest has always been there. Outerra has a bit of a barrier though, because many people decided it could never work years ago, and got tired of hearing about it. Those same peoples minds tend to remain closed today, even with the progress being made, and so Outerra has some scattered but persistent community resistance that an unknown name would not.

For some not aware, there was a time where Outerra threads were summarily segregated or shut down on some forums, and there are still places you would take a risk in mentioning it as a serious option.

That is changing a bit, thank goodness. But even just a short time ago, some were caught very much by surprise when Avsim started an Unofficial Outerra forum.

I wish more of us made themselves known there, but understand some of the reasons why not.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:21:39 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:30 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/2z2g1w/new_flight_sim_fs_world_are_you_interested/

Well this thread has them all abuzz at reddit and the fish are leaping at the line. Its interesting, because there was a similar thread (though not from an existing developer) at AVSIM once, that received a similarly ecstatic reaction. Unfortunately, but perhaps not surprisingly, it went nowhere.

Now we have this. Look good? Yes. can they do it? Who knows.

I just thought/think its funny how the crowd went for the previous post and now this, with nothing to actually show for it, when Outerra is here with actual software in hand.

I wish these new guys luck! In the meantime, I have to say I like Flight Simmers. We is funny!  =D

Have seen the thread this morning  :)

These devs are testing the audience. They have only released a Diablo-like game so far (wich seems to be good, from what I see), so it's really curious to see they choose to work on something like this. It looks similar to Aeroflight (limited scale sceneries), and they mentioned a business model based on DLC addons or subscription. That point will be a no go for many... But, I'm curious to see where it will go.

Outerra has a bit of a barrier though, because many people decided it could never work years ago, and got tired of hearing about it. Those same peoples minds tend to remain closed today, even with the progress being made, and so Outerra has some scattered but persistent community resistance that an unknown name would not.

Since Outerra is aiming to do various things (not to mention Anteworld), it's hard for some simmers to understand if it's really something for them. But show these guys advanced FDM and clickable cokpits and, oh boy...  =D

Edit: lol, top comment n°2 :
"Sorry to hijack top comment, but please consider Outerra as the engine."

Then :
"please please consider using outerra as your base engine'
"Have you had a chance to look at what they're doing over at /r/outerra?"
"Please, please look into working with the Outerra engine. It's shaping up to be BEAUTIFUL, and needs a bit of work, but it's all there, almost."
"This terrain looks absolutely amazing, reminds me of Outerra Anteworld."

I think they just need to see Outerra as a sim platform :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:38:40 pm by Acetone »

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:47:55 pm »

I read those comments, and was happy that the word about Outerra is spreading and sinking in. Believe me I keep track of it!  :)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:00:30 pm »

I read those comments, and was happy that the word about Outerra is spreading and sinking in. Believe me I keep track of it!  :)

I was curious so I looked at these peoples posts. The fun thing was to see that majority of these don't seem to be active users on r/outerra. Some of them didn't even mention the engine at all, except on this thread. It's interesting to see these users talking about the engine, even if they don't seem to be really looking at the development process :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 05:28:58 pm »

I was curious so I looked at these peoples posts. The fun thing was to see that majority of these don't seem to be active users on r/outerra. Some of them didn't even mention the engine at all, except on this thread. It's interesting to see these users talking about the engine, even if they don't seem to be really looking at the development process :)

Which is why its important to keep spreading the word. You will notice that while people don't say much about Outerra on the various forums, if you look at the numbers of users taking a look at the various threads and videos, they are always popular. People are definitely watching, and the name Outerra is out there.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 06:55:15 pm »

This engine, as incomplete as it is, has given me more entertainment than any other game. There is no other flight simulator that can compete in beauty at this time, IMOH. I have seen videos from the next coming DCS engine, and is so sad  to see it doesn't look the half as good as OT.

I really want OT to succeed.

Can we do something about it?

I'm thinking of:

1.- Tell to every friend to buy a copy of Anteworld. I'll buy one for my nephew.

2.- If they would accept donations, I would be happy to donate from time to time. I mean it.

3.- If I can collaborate instead of make mods, I'll do it.

4.- I bought a game in development (Anteworld), not an engine (Outerra), and this game is already fun as it is, so I would be happy to buy addons:

- Here is the ability to deform your terrain, five bucks

- Whit this you can put your own textures in roads, five bucks.

- Here is this quality model,  ten bucks...

Add a point to the list...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:37:45 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:57:43 pm »

The developer has asked about Outerra, and I have provided some information. Hopefully thats ok, and Cameni wont kill me if these guys are just scammers or trollers.  =D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:15:21 pm by HiFlyer »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 03:07:26 am »

Why would I kill you :)

It would be 4th or 5th company with some track record wanting to make a FS replacement and asking us about the engine. But unlike previous ones, these people do not seem to have a flight sim background and so they might be blissfully unaware of what they are attempting to attempt to do.

From their description, even though it's missing technical background/plans, they meant to use a content making pipeline and an engine that they are already familiar with. By "world comp" they might mean UE4 world composition ... I wonder if they actually counted with a spherical global world in the first place, since only their edited description notes that simmers actually want world wide flights.

aWac9

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 03:26:15 am »

well said
 :)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:10 pm »

Aww... No killing?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:19:21 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

HiFlyer

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

Nah. I already die enough in Outerra helicopter crashes that leave no survivors............

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 12:48:53 pm »

Nah. I already die enough in Outerra helicopter crashes that leave no survivors............

Are you this guy, HiFlyer?

(listen what the pilot says).

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »

Nope........

Outerra trees have no collision detection!  =D
Pages: [1] 2