Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Racing Challenge  (Read 26254 times)

HiFlyer

Racing Challenge
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:26:09 am »

Heres something to try.  ^-^

If you Have Acetones takleetna scenery and the BMW from Outerramods, http://www.outerramods.com/mods/bmw-3-series-coupe

You can go to this location: 4220 Cache Creek Trail, Alaska 99688, USA

And try some racing! Its almost like a natural dirt course and its a good reminder that Outerra is more than just Flight.

It might be interesting to add some road signs to mark the turns, or driving at night.  ;)

Outerras vehicle physics need some attention, but after that, there are some nice possibilities..........

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:59:04 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Racing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:21:02 pm »

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:42:18 pm »

Yup. I was thinking dirt course, but that works too. But as you can see, the vehicle physics are not exactly Grand Turismo. That being said , I really can't think of a reason it wouldn't be possible to get a bit of slide/drift and some better physics in there to attract racing fans and modders.........

And.... where is that?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:45:09 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:47:03 am »

Yeah i think drifting is quite possible in outerra and i find that it can feel pretty realistic too. It's a nice challenge actually to find the right touch to stay in a drift. It's so easy to over turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnfKoPEkeLw&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:10:08 am by M7 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:53:19 am »

Yeah i think drifting is quite possible in outerra and i find that it can feel pretty realistic too. It's a nice challenge actually to find the right touch to stay in a drift. It's so easy to over turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnfKoPEkeLw&feature=youtu.be

Well........

There is also the unfortunate tendency to bounce to the moon, or get lost beneath the scenery.......

M7

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:50 am »

Well yeah, that's when you lose complete control but as long as the car stay on its 4 wheels, i find that the physics works quite well given that you can have only one level of friction between ground and wheel at a time.

So for drifting, i'm playing with these wheel setting for now.   

slip: 0.6,
 slip_lateral_coef: 1.0,

M7

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:45:16 pm »

I just tried that Alaskan trail with BMW, wow it's super fun! The bmw is a nice car but I had to edit its js cause it had  formula1 physics. I tried to get a more rally type of experience, a bit similar the monster truck and so far,  i find it works pretty well. It's a lot more slippery but then i can do some drifting and on a sneaky dirt road it's really cool.

but now i cant get rid of a loud squeaky sound when the automatic transmission is shifting up. I attached the js, if someone knowlegeable could fix it , i would really appreciate  :D.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:31 pm »

I just tried that Alaskan trail with BMW, wow it's super fun! The bmw is a nice car but I had to edit its js cause it had  formula1 physics. I tried to get a more rally type of experience, a bit similar the monster truck and so far,  i find it works pretty well. It's a lot more slippery but then i can do some drifting and on a sneaky dirt road it's really cool.

but now i cant get rid of a loud squeaky sound when the automatic transmission is shifting up. I attached the js, if someone knowlegeable could fix it , i would really appreciate  :D.

Coolness! Perhaps if enough interest can be gathered, more cars can get some love.

thx_nb

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:34 pm »

Too remove the 'squeaky' sound, remove or comment-out line 331:
Code: [Select]
this.snd.play(this.bov_src, this.bov_snd, false, false);
becomes
Code: [Select]
//this.snd.play(this.bov_src, this.bov_snd, false, false);

I've actually been fiddling with the BMW too (beautiful car), but mainly with the engine and transmission.
- Updated the torque figures to the actual specifications and set red line to 7000 RPM. The top speed per gear now also matches the rated speeds per gear in reality. Because of the perfect grip this one's 0-100 is a bit quicker than the real one though.
- Played with the neutral RPM, so the car's at 600 RPM in neutral (not perfect, but looks better than 0 in dashboard view :) )
- Increased pitch of deceleration sound so it matches the acceleration sound (current RPM) better, also switched out the idle sound, because I think the sound is too 'light'.

I have played with slip values too, but don't think it's possible to get it very realistic for all speeds. Because of that I prefer the better grip for now.
See attachment for the adapted script. Maybe you guys can try it and comment.

I'm thinking about adding a manual, or at least a normal shifting setup (the current one (redlining every gear) should then be the kickdown setup :) )

BTW, I noticed that the car seems to pivot more to the center of the car, where it should be at the rear-axle AFAIK. It looks just a little bit strange when turning. Is this fixable without changing the model? Or is this my imagination?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:50:44 pm by thx_nb »

M7

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:35 am »

ok i used thx js. I edited a couple of thing and i drove a bit, everything was fine. Then i respawned elsewhere and now i got this message, like there's an error on line 307 and the car wont shift in 1rst gear and the engine just die :'(

josem75

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 04:19:55 am »

ok i used thx js. I edited a couple of thing and i drove a bit, everything was fine. Then i respawned elsewhere and now i got this message, like there's an error on line 307 and the car wont shift in 1rst gear and the engine just die :'(

I always have this problem respawning this car, i need to reset game, and now i dont know if i have same problem with other cars too.

This topic is just what i was wanting to see in outerra. Talking about cars and cars settings. So we can refine them telling our experience. We can use this Bmw for the purpose.

Drive bmw with your settings makes a lot of fun! My opinion is, the drift is so cool, just for asfalt, maybe too exagerated, a bit less would be perfect.
When you are driving it fast, turning right or left is smooth (some settings are too sensible, so if u move a little bit the joystick the car is in the field). But when you want turn while braking, its imposible. Also its very dificult turning even when speed is relatively low too, so improving this, your settings would be great.
Also the power in certain moments it seems is not enough, if the car is outside of the road and you want come back from a ramp.

The settings from thx_nb are also great.  Those dont have the problem when turning the car while brake. THose settings i would just quit a bit sensibility for turn, and add some abiity for drift when u are acelerating deep. So a mix between M7 and thx_nb would be great.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:28:37 am by josem75 »

josem75

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 04:23:57 am »

note: Two things cars need mandatory:

1 - we need a configurable reset car button, so we can put it in the joystick. We cant avoid the bounce problem, but at least would be necesary we can push a button fast directly from joystick. Coz if u need to push the keys in your keyboard while using joystick u loose a lot of time and you can reach the sky.. So after bouncing is very dificult to find the road and make drive imposible.

2 - An outside camera who keep the angle between car and terrain. Coz this angle is changing with the road slopes while u are driving, and you need to correct it all the time..  So u can put for example 10º and the camera aautomatically keep it, so you can drive in flat and all the slopes from outside cam not needing touch the mouse.
(A Pan option for joystick would be also necesary for cars and planes. Using the hat, u can correct the camera angle anytime and avoid to use the mouse for do it).

those little details would make the cars finally playable. 

Ahh!!! Would be posible to add the drifting sound? the sound itself is very easy to find, but i dont know if its posible to add in the script for appear just when the car is drifting...  At least one sound. I suppouse for add diferent sounds (while drive on asphalt, or clay, snow, etc)  we will need developer action.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:35:40 am by josem75 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:13 am »

Ahh!!! Would be posible to add the drifting sound? the sound itself is very easy to find, but i dont know if its posible to add in the script for appear just when the car is drifting...  At least one sound. I suppouse for add diferent sounds (while drive on asphalt, or clay, snow, etc)  we will need developer action.

... not sure how you would detect the drifting doe ... it could be if the speed of the car isnt the same as the wheel speed (maybe setting the sound intensity and pitch on the value of the difference).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

josem75

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:27:37 am »

... not sure how you would detect the drifting doe ... it could be if the speed of the car isnt the same as the wheel speed (maybe setting the sound intensity and pitch on the value of the difference).

So for example.. Thats brilliant. Is that kind of thing posible to set in Js? If we add the drift sound, the outside camera angle keeping option, and a configurable button for reset fast in the case u begin to bounce, we are almost done!! 
Just we would need some smoke and this would be almost perfect.
what we need from the developers for the smokes effects?

The car is now very nice driveable with the settings added for the bmw. I changed the slip: to 1.2, and slip_lateral_coef: to 0.8, and the drift is great for the asphalt.
With those little details i said before, and now while we are controling the settings in a good way, the ground driving would be totally enjoyable finally in outerra!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:15:23 am by josem75 »

josem75

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 05:37:13 am »

And by the way. I asked theshanergy for the car model coz i wanted to improve the interior even more. Make almost a perfect car like in a profesional driving game car. So this can be our amazing outerra vehicle (after i will do more i already have, some for raids, and some surprise..). Just i will need to ask for help in the moment of the export, or maybe give all the mesh and textures prepared and somebody export and prepare Js.

I had no time those days and i had some problems with the mesh importing to max, with the smooth groups stucked.. Finally it seems i am fixing (i needed to re export as obj and reimport again so smooth groups unfreeze..). I already made some textures for the dashboard, the steer, the radio, the navigator, the pedals, etc, etc. And some fixes the car needed inside (pieces not totally refined, broke somewhere, etc). Also adding more details, trying to keep the aspect of the car in real life. 
So when i finish, i will give him again for export to outerra. Or i will ask how to do. Coz i was testing as .dae file and using option vehicle, but its like i only can choose one object.. Dont know exactly how to do and i just saw for a few minutes.. 
But first i need to finish the job..

So i want we push a bit the ground vehicle experience in outerra with all those things
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:53:15 am by josem75 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4