Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Racing Challenge  (Read 26272 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Racing Challenge
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:38 am »

I think that aditional smoke-actions will be in the future done the same way the lights are now. Some placing coordinates, thickness, fading, collor ... just a script adition. So there is no problem.

I still think there needs to be some more details to engines, like engone-breaking (when ya get in to lower gears in speeds of those abowe) and some Wheel/speed limiter at each gear, so you have the power of it, but dont get to 400Km/h on the first gear and gain the proper max speed for it in a more realistic time-frame. Thats i think the main issue ... for realism that is.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

thx_nb

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:41 am »

I just tested a bit quickly and I think there are certainly ways to detect drifting. max_tire_speed() vs speed() gives an indication of how the tire speed differs from vehicle speed so that should work.

Also there is a velocity() method available which gives the linear and angular velocity, either relative to the model or relative to the world.
I don't think I'm smart enough to use this :), but I'd think this provides a lot of options to calculate the angle of the car with regard to the direction it's moving in. Together with the tire speed difference it should be possible to add in some nice squealing tire effects.

@josem75: It's just a general idea, but maybe someone smart could use the velocity data to recognize when the car starts to bounce and correct the forces on it using the extra_force() method.

@PytonPago: The script the BMW uses right now already accounts for the gears and max speeds per gear. Of course this should be accounted for when implementing a manual transmission, but I don't see any problems on that front. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, my adapted script has realistic gear ratios and torque per gear. It only accelerates a bit fast if you use high slip values.

PytonPago

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 07:27:50 am »

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, my adapted script has realistic gear ratios and torque per gear. It only accelerates a bit fast if you use high slip values.

... thats what the issue is, you have just force rightly. But gearbox says also, what RPM has the leading-rod of the wheels vs. engine. That means, you can have really high power on the highest Engine_RPM, but the wheels wont be acellerated beyond a certain RPM (limiting vehicles speed - you cant limit it on wheels forces itself), witch is much lower ! (well, if ya dont go down-hill)  (its more visible if you use the script on more slow vehicles like trucks, where there is hi power, but much lower speeds). I guess it is a not much visible detail for vehicles that have a small timefrem from 0-100 Km/h and high speeds, still, would be great having that right .... i have speculated some approaches - defined some aditional functions to the breakin force, specific for each gear, but id isnt much proper. I thought about some table-stuff just as the engine-RPM-torque is for each gear, doe are yet to fully understand how to work it out ...   =|
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 08:13:19 am »

Isn't the JSBSIM creator sometimes seen on these forums? Could he be asked about some of this?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

thx_nb

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 08:56:49 am »

Isn't the JSBSIM creator sometimes seen on these forums? Could he be asked about some of this?
Is this issue related to JSBSIM? I thought Bullet handled the vehicle fysics?

PytonPago

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 09:00:14 am »

Vehicles are in javascript, on bullet, not JSBSim ... but there was one vehicle showcased written in it.

... modifying the script to have this RPM difference issue included is possible, just have to find a proper way to do it so it feels real.

... also, that error message - i found out it happens mostly after the vehicle someway gets ower bundaries of the worlds surface (ya know, when it starts to bounc aroud --- it sometimes seems not to fall on the wheels properly attuned to the ground and does this. Doe not sure if its the real thing, cause it isnt allways doing it, but most cases when it does, seems to be like that for me). I think, if a proper collision mesh is made for the vehicles hull (not the auto-created by the importer, but hand-made after Camenis instruction PDF) it should be cleared.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:22:59 am by PytonPago »

M7

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:44 am »

All i will say for now is that it's the first time for me that i have the experience that  i'm playing a real game in the outerra world. The drifting part of driving makes it so much fun and it's a very cool challenge to try to emulate how it looks in real world video.

josem75

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 10:13:17 am »

All i will say for now is that it's the first time for me that i have the experience that  i'm playing a real game in the outerra world. The drifting part of driving makes it so much fun and it's a very cool challenge to try to emulate how it looks in real world video.

I agree. Its my first time i enjoy driving!!!
Drive was boring because we never found a car driveable, drifter, etc. Also i am seeing much less bouncing with your config. Might be coz having the real control of the car, now accident are much less, so there is normally when u bounce..
But also when i go out the road for a while normally no bounce unless u do really beast things.. 
Now i can be driving several minutes enjoying and not bouncing.

I am seeing the next category in the user mods.. CIRCUITS! :DD
I think would not be too much dificult to make real circuits. In fact, i am remembering some, maybe in redit. Is it posible?

M7

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:50 am »

i think the more slippery the tire are, the less bouncing around when you lose control. In my version of the script i also tone down the extra downward force from 10 to 1. I elevate the center of gravity so that the car is less stable in turns and at very high speed.

As for road!street rally circuit, it's should be pretty easy to find road maps online.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 11:33:22 am »

I am seeing the next category in the user mods.. CIRCUITS! :DD
I think would not be too much dificult to make real circuits. In fact, i am remembering some, maybe in redit. Is it posible?

I have a long track here : http://www.mediafire.com/download/les67o2u7fglofx/Outerra_race.otx

It was made mostly for off-roads vehicles (dirt track) but it should be fine with this version of the 335i. The track is really large to avoid the high-speed spins. If some folks are interested, I can do some other tracks (dirt/gravel or asphalt).

M7

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:13 am »

i'll sure give it a try tonight. Thanks Acetone.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:20 am »

i'll sure give it a try tonight. Thanks Acetone.

Just done a quick test. Some sections of the track are too steep for the new model, but the start is in the middle of the clouds, wich is nice. I will have to do some tweaks to make it more interesting.

M7

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »

So winter tires are mandatory =D

thx_nb

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »

I actually modeled the Nurburgring ingame. It is also quite a long track, but it's not in the mountains :).
I could try to create an otx file of it.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:41:37 pm by thx_nb »

M7

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »

Very cool thx_nb. I want it!!!  >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4