Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Racing Challenge  (Read 26277 times)

thx_nb

Re: Racing Challenge
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »

Ha, that's funny :D.

@Acetone: I'll make a new otx.

M7

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 04:26:38 pm »

Oh boy, i feel so stupid with my comments about car setting. I was driving using the keyboard and i finally tried an xbox controller. It has to be 10 times easier to drive with a stick and i find it's almost too easy .... to recover from a slight spin using either a tap on the brakes or steering with throttle, even at high speed. And i find myself being able to drift almost at unrealistic speed it seems.

Im almost disapointed, it kind of felt more realistic with the keyboard :-(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:39:15 pm by M7 »

M7

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 10:58:27 pm »

So here to illustrate what i'm saying, i should have lost control so many times especially at high speed , but it seems to always be possible to recover from a slide except when entering a curve with too much momentum (too fast).  It seems it would take the equivalent of a flight model but for cars to get these thing right.  And i dont know if that kind of stuff can be scripted in java script.

HiFlyer

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 12:02:05 am »

I've never used anything but an Xbox controller, so now you know what I was saying about things needing to be tweaked.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 04:46:25 pm »

I  happened to have a steering controller with pedals that was gathering dust for almost 10 years. Gave it a try with the BMW on Nurburgring and again , a completly different experience than with an xbox controller.  Much easier to drive straight at high speed but much harder to recover from any slide.

If xbox is 10 times more fun than playing with keyboard, driving  with a real steering wheel in OT has to be 10 times more enjoyable than an xbox stick. I'm not sure if it's because with the xbox controller, you can respond so quickly to any slide that at any setting  it feels like playing an arcade mode. With a steering wheel you cant react that fast and consequently, you get to use more realistic response i'd say, to a loss of control. At least that's my perception.

Drifting is a lot more tricky now but again feels much more realistic as the level of timing it takes to achieve.

But then again, i'm not a simmer of anykind. I don't even own a car, so i might still be completly off on anything i just said.

I update again the JS script. I changed the BMW to a rear wheels drive (doesn't make a big difference) and fine tune a few other things. I'd be curious to hear feedback from people with steering wheel controller or people who have played other driving simulator. I don't know, it feels now like you can have a pretty realistic driving experience in OT even with the limited environment variation.

And Nurburgring is really fun to drive now, so thx_nb you should definatly post it in scenery section.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 11:25:01 pm »

If xbox is 10 times more fun than playing with keyboard, driving  with a real steering wheel in OT has to be 10 times more enjoyable than an xbox stick. I'm not sure if it's because with the xbox controller, you can respond so quickly to any slide that at any setting  it feels like playing an arcade mode. With a steering wheel you cant react that fast and consequently, you get to use more realistic response i'd say, to a loss of control. At least that's my perception.

Most definitely ... the main thing is, the intensity of steering is to be hold much better at a wheeel then on any other controller.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »

Acetone, yes, i saw your road and i completed in car and by cessna, it was awesome!! Great place. 
thx_nb, i am sure this circuit is which i saw in Reddit, but without download, thanks for share!!  This is what i was telling about. Now controling the phisics parameters we can get more real cars and easily make real circuits.
Maybe the first online capability of the engine can be small areas with a circuit for limited people use, so we can have real races xD.
Also, the ability of make an option when you create a closed road with a finish line, and add a cronometer and a counter everytime you complete the circuit, knowing your time and your lap numbers, that would be nice!

I was thinking, would be posible we elaborate a list with the JS options which control the important things of the driving parameters?
For example, now i know i can touch slip and slip_lateral_coef for change the drift.  Would be nice to know what can i touch for change the direction sensibility, because for example the Dodge Viper is almost imposible to turn, it would need much more sensibility.
Also the suspension, for put more hard, etc. And so on, with all parameters, in words that anybody can understand, so we can touch them and refine the phisics.

The thing is nobody really tried to match a racing car setup in a script yet. Mostly, Giucam and Hrrrr got a transmission working but other than that, not much. I myself still have to go trial and error with the script to find what does what. As for turning, have you played with your joystick sensitivity ingame?

Cormac21

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 06:21:30 am »

It's a nice challenge actually to find the right touch to stay in a drift. It's so easy to over turn.

Fighter117

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »

Hi ! ;)

I think it would be great to share a circuit in a scenery and to record the race !
Like this, we could know the timing of the pilot ! :D
I made a video of my race circuit in Outerra with the Lamborgini Gallardo :

HiFlyer

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 04:10:03 pm »

Interesting Course!  =D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]