Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jurassic Park  (Read 16271 times)

Seth

Jurassic Park
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:58:06 pm »

Ok, so this is an idea more than a suggestion.

We all know that hunting dinosaurs and jungles don't mix.

But how about a hidden area in Outtera where a few dinos roam free.

Or, hopefully, a game developer goes and make a fully fledged game based on that.

Well I'm not sure what I'm trying to say. :D
I know what it does, not how it does it.

Grind and Click

Jurassic Park
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:10:09 pm »

Hm, to be fair a dino based game would be good, having to reach certain points on foot and survive.

Bit of atmosphere and a good working on the graphics are a must though.

Tresspasser 2?

Seth

Jurassic Park
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »

Its like ArmA, but against AI and smart raptor AI at that.

Imagine riding in an open jeep, stalking some herds of Apatosaurus.

Maybe some backup from a little bird.

Anyone noticed the lack of a pilot?

Apatosaurus, also known by the popular but scientifically redundant synonym Brontosaurus.

The total length of the species Apatosaurus louisae at 22 m (72 ft).
It was roughly the weight of four elephants.

Try taking that down with a tranquilizer.

Jheuloh

Jurassic Park
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:48:46 pm »

I like the idea of going on a trophy hunt for a man-sized bird-ancestor with sickle claws.

Lives in a Jheuloh Bowl, under a Rock. Beware the Guard Lizard(s).
<O> ,.., <O>

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Jurassic Park
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »

I've GOT to get Lightwave working again so I can get started on cool stuff like this.  Would be cool to give Cameni and Angrypig some working animations and behaviors so they can have a little fun.  Would love to see a herbivorous, small dinosaur like critter running in huge herds across the American Plains or African Savannas.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Seth

Jurassic Park
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42:07 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
I've GOT to get Lightwave working again so I can get started on cool stuff like this.  Would be cool to give Cameni and Angrypig some working animations and behaviors so they can have a little fun.  Would love to see a herbivorous, small dinosaur like critter running in huge herds across the American Plains or African Savannas.

I'd like to learn how the "herd" behaviors work.

dynamic path-lines, etc.

Could you download and tweak ready made animations?

Even for these guys!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Jurassic Park
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:13:50 pm »

I can definitely tweak animations, so long as the file is a lightwave file (in fact, tweaking animations is a LOT easier than doing them from scratch, even if they were originally done badly).  Although I have Max, I'm not proficient in its use other than for rendering.

Regardless, until I can figure out why Lightwave isn't working anymore, I can't do anything :(.  It's a computer error causing it, not Lightwave itself, so I'm having to go through my system piece by piece to find out what's just disappeared or got corrupted before I can fix it.

I've seen a few free dino models online, but none of them have animations, or they have very awful textures.  I can redo the textures without a problem, even now, though ;).
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Grind and Click

Jurassic Park
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:48 am »

Different continents can have different dinosaurs like it would of been. Obviously back then the land was different but im sure it could be figured out within the realms of fiction.

The Sim part could be the buying of what gear you want/need for a certain expedition and what vehicles you'd need to get there. Flying/driving them like any simulator,. bit tacked on but...  

Man, i forget whos signiature on the forum here says that the industry doesnt have any lack of ideas its implementation and how to sell it are the problems. As if we didnt know posting ideas on forums was the ultimate in pipe-dreaming anyway. Seems a bit fruitless, but i guess fun enough to talk aboout? :/

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Jurassic Park
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:11 am »

I love dinosaurs, they are delicious.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

Jurassic Park
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »

"I'm from a million years in the future! My brain is waaay more gooder than thers!"
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Seth

Jurassic Park
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
I can definitely tweak animations, so long as the file is a lightwave file (in fact, tweaking animations is a LOT easier than doing them from scratch, even if they were originally done badly).  Although I have Max, I'm not proficient in its use other than for rendering.

Regardless, until I can figure out why Lightwave isn't working anymore, I can't do anything :(.  It's a computer error causing it, not Lightwave itself, so I'm having to go through my system piece by piece to find out what's just disappeared or got corrupted before I can fix it.

I've seen a few free dino models online, but none of them have animations, or they have very awful textures.  I can redo the textures without a problem, even now, though ;).

Cool, keep us updated on you progress if you like.

Seth

Jurassic Park
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:00 pm »

Quote from: Grind and Click

Man, i forget whos signiature on the forum here says that the industry doesnt have any lack of ideas its implementation and how to sell it are the problems. As if we didnt know posting ideas on forums was the ultimate in pipe-dreaming anyway. Seems a bit fruitless, but i guess fun enough to talk aboout? :/

Yeah, true, but we still need good ideas, right?

Tottel

Jurassic Park
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »

I was going to start with 'No way!'

But on second though.. Why not. :D
The space to roam is huge, as we all know. There could very well be a remote island which is hard to find.

Then again.. creating this much unique content for such a small location would be a waste. :/

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Jurassic Park
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:07 pm »

Quote from: Tottel
creating this much unique content for such a small location would be a waste. :/

That is why I love the idea of outerra and it's huge-ness. If someone wanted to create jurassic park and model and code the dinosaurs and erect the buildings and fences they could do it completely on their own and then sell that addon for everyone on OT. Or give it away for free and cameni could have it autodownload with the built in torrent client if you get close enough in-game to warrant the possibility of you actually making it there. Oh the joys of dreaming with outerra.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SpaceFlight

Jurassic Park
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:05:42 pm »

Quote from: Tottel
I was going to start with 'No way!'

But on second though.. Why not. :D
The space to roam is huge, as we all know. There could very well be a remote island which is hard to find.

Then again.. creating this much unique content for such a small location would be a waste. :/

Could be a nice easter egg.   :D
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan
Pages: [1] 2