Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Images from ME-DEM project  (Read 56839 times)

monks

Images from ME-DEM project
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »

If anyone wants to take a shot at the Carn Dum fortress, I've dug out the project and I've got the render extents set up. I can export the terrain as either heightfield or mesh. I've also got the site map image aligned so it's easy to build from a reference overlay. There's a pdf too which has got some pics for ref of towers and stuff, eg. http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Temp/Keepref.jpg

I'll need to know if you want a heightfield or mesh and what res, etc. The terrain has no erosion added. You can have it without or with erosion- including the maps for texturing.  :)

monks

monks

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:27 am »

Been fiddling with bits and bats. Quick demo of Carn Dum in Sketchup.

It's not rocket science.  This is a model rather than a layout. I think it's probably best approaching this site as a layout, dunno. The workflow in Sketchup is that for projects with a number of components you model the components and then plonk them in your layout. I'm a newbie to it so still finding my way.

//checked it out and layout is for 2D presentations, not models.

monks

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:11 am »

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread ... but LIGHTWAVE IS WORKING AGAIN!  Woohoo!

Turns out a background program was interfering with it.  Accidentally discovered it last night when I realized another program that had been having problems actually ran without crashing when the background program was shut down.  So this morning I made sure it was off, and poof, Lightwave returned to normal operation!

Now to get back to work making models again!  Think I'll start simple with some generic houses with thatched roofs.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

monks

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 11:22:14 am »

You must be overjoyed! Glad you sorted it out.  :cool:  

I've been running the make process all week for the 40K texture on our latest terrain. I made a fair bit of progress with the model above too- should be able to get back to it and post an update shortly,- and some shots of the texture.

monks

monks

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 12:01:57 pm »

The Carn Dum site. It's really just a learning using the app exercise for me.

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Phase2/Presentations/Carn%20Dum/Screens/CarnDum_castle17.jpg

You can check out some screens of the texturer here at the end the dev gallery:
http://www.me-dem.me.uk/galleries/Development/gallery.htm

monks

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 12:21:00 pm »

Quote from: monks
You can check out some screens of the texturer here at the end the dev gallery:
http://www.me-dem.me.uk/galleries/Development/gallery.htm
Beautiful. Now just to jump into the world :)

Btw do you know if there is someone doing something similar with the lands of Songs of Ice and Fire novels?

monks

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:00 pm »

Yehh...both feet first!  :cool:  

I'm not sure, it's certainly possible. Someone may well make a mod for a game or something with Game of Thrones being aired. The distributed world creation idea is a very tantalising thought. I'm sure you could get a lot of people interested in using OuTerra for that.

monks

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »

Hey, Monks ... are you guys going for full interiors too for structures, or just the shell?

For my purposes, I'll be doing a few interiors.  But before I get to that point in the modeling, I could save out an exterior version.

Still going to be a few weeks away before I have the first model done, although I may make a little progress this weekend, depending on circumstances.  Texturing will be done in Zbrush, complete with Displacement mappings.  I'll probably have to export to OBJ, considering Zbrush likes that best anyway, so I can save out a copy for you guys.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

monks

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 05:20:22 pm »

Just exteriors will do us for now. Maybe I can pick up a few tips from you on the way. I've used ZBrush before to create bump maps- but you can easily forget how to do things if you don't repeat the process.
 I think our render targets will be OuTerra obviously, and Terragen- possibly 3DS Max later (I may be starting a course in September). I don't see me using Sketchup... for rendering anyway, though it's great for architectural modelling. Terragen supports .obj.

monks

monks

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:15 pm »

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 08:21:10 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Btw do you know if there is someone doing something similar with the lands of Songs of Ice and Fire novels?

I don't know of anything in 3D either but Tear made a FAB map out of it on the guild.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?6549-Westeros-made-with-Pasis-tutorial

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 02:58:13 am »

Hmm, cartographersguild.com rejects my login. I have chosen a password that may be too long. But I don't see there an option to reset password, is it there somewhere?

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 06:26:43 am »

Can you email me some details (minus the password...) about what happened and ill chat to the leaders on there. If the site is rejecting lots of members that's not good. There's a couple of simple anti bot questions to set correct or else it will reject you tho. Since it was made a 'choice' map then this image was made a no login one...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/feature/WesterosMap.jpg

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 06:33:27 am »

Looks very good :)

I was registered there and logged in (just after the registration). Just now I've found out that I cannot log in back. I'll send you the details.

monks

Re: Images from ME-DEM project
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »

The ME-DEM project has been given kind permission by Cameni and AngryPig to post some development shots of our terrain within Outerra.

We recently moved over to an entirely new workflow in ME-DEM for building the terrain. We've been testing whether that would be feasable of itself and also testing the specifics of getting it into Outerra and how Outerra renders it with its procedural fractals at the sub 90m scale.

We got our initial terrain into Outerra which was built on our old workflow using procedural terrain generators. After viewing it from orbit and having seen  the real earth data in Outerra (SRTM v4 at 90m), it was pretty obvious that it didn't stand up very well to scrutiny from high orbit.  :P
 While procedurals terrain generators are great are small scale (sub planetary- Outerra is BIIIIIG!!) terrain modelling, they don't currently have tools for creating convincing large scale structures like continental mountain ranges. So we decided to use real earth data instead...

We're currently using two methods: a more traditional manual modelling approach using real terrain from SRTM sources in Photoshop, Leveller, and World Machine and procedural tile blending of tiles from the same data. We use Global Mapper to select and export the tiles.

The manual modelling of the mountain ranges is the long term goal- but it will be longer term. the procedural approach will be handled by Robes' texturer and take care of any terrain I've not modelled manually in the meantime.

First up was Mordor. Bear in mind that in the future the texturer will be set up to incorporate user defined textures. We're still with the default Earth texture settings here.

The highest point on the terrain is at around 16,000 ft. Not sure where that is exactly...but everything looks good. We've used artistic license and extended the height of the Mordor mountains. We're probably going to roughly double the height of the mountains in Middle Earth over our previous estimates.
 I used the Carpathians as the basis for Mordor- sorry to people who live there, no offence  ;D. The problem with that was that they are not young mountains like say the Himalayas with all of those sharp glaciated ridges, so I had to apply ridge sharpening in World Machine. The Photoshop processing removed some of the high frequency detail from the terrain so I had to replace that procedutally while preserving the flatness of the valleys.

These are all shots of just the lower right quad of the ME-DEM terrain. I'll post some shots later with the entire map.

Valleys

Ridges

Another problem we had was creating a good transition from mountains to lowlands. This turned out to be not too difficult to solve.

One of the spooky mountains- this is really cool when you travel across the Udun crater- it's huge and very evil looking up close  8) Just to get an idea of the scale of this, it takes about 20 minutes to travel across the crater of Udun "running" along the ground.

I added a sea of mist and took some pics- you get an almost tropical feel.

In this one the mist fills the caldera of Udun. The Morannon Gate (the location of the battle at the end of The Return of the King) is at the south at the gap in the crater. To get a sense of the scale of this, the arrow in the pic points to the summit of the tower in the previous pic just poking its head above the mist!

Here's Mt Doom

I was playing around in World Machine with Voronoi noise and came up with the beginning of a surface for the plains of Mordor.

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Phase2/Terrain_1.0/NASARun/2011/RW_Terrain/Test/Mordor/11_09_11/Mordor_surface.png

It'd be really sweet to be able to add to this plain the occasional displacements like these: http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/art/Terragen-2-Shear-163303491
Terragen 2 has a workflow which can export displacements as meshes to 3Ds Max. That's one possibility, Outerra will no doubt have procedural solutions too.  ;)

monks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:00:20 pm by monks »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4