Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [WIP] Apollo Lunar Module  (Read 27061 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
[WIP] Apollo Lunar Module
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:03:58 am »

Houston, tranquility base... the Eagle has landed!

Apollo Lunar Module.... coming soon to Outerra!

Regards,
Uriah

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:23:48 pm by Uriah »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: [WIP] Apollo Lunar Module
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:49:34 am »

Ohmahgad, it's not the moon's color, look! It's Stanley Kubrick's studio! We never went to the moon, it's a conspiracy! This is the proof!

Nice lander Uriah :)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:02:08 am »

Ohmahgad, it's not the moon's color, look! It's Stanley Kubrick's studio! We never went to the moon, it's a conspiracy! This is the proof!

You make Startroopers cry ...

... nice model there ! Now, we need a Moon to land it somewhere ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:28:00 am »

Of course, it wasn't my opinion, but I saw Room 237 a few days ago (great documentary about Stanley Kubrick's movie The Shining) and there is a guy they interview at one point who just see the movie as a way for Kubrick to "tell to the world" he was in charge of the first "fake" (according to him) Apollo footage. He just spend a few minutes trying to prove his theory with a few crappy "obvious proofs", it was by far the less interesting part of the documentary but it's sticking in my head since then, and when I saw the picture, I just remembered his bullshit theories  =D

That being said, it's a good documentary, if you have already saw the movie and want to know a bit more about it :)

PytonPago

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:44:56 am »

Of course, it wasn't my opinion, but I saw Room 237 a few days ago (great documentary about Stanley Kubrick's movie The Shining) and there is a guy they interview at one point who just see the movie as a way for Kubrick to "tell to the world" he was in charge of the first "fake" (according to him) Apollo footage. He just spend a few minutes trying to prove his theory with a few crappy "obvious proofs", it was by far the less interesting part of the documentary but it's sticking in my head since then, and when I saw the picture, I just remembered his bullshit theories  =D

That being said, it's a good documentary, if you have already saw the movie and want to know a bit more about it :)

Yeah ... i meant mine as a funny response also.  =D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:19:52 am »

Oh, looks nice!!!! How we will operate it? Should we spawn it in space and then try to land? Will it be just external view?

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:24 am »

The model is a free NASA model, and I have been on the Reaction Control System and flight computer.

You'll be able to take off from the ground and land. Or you could start in space, although you wouldn't be in orbit and would fall to the Earth at a very high speed. Without a virtual cockpit, it will be 3d person camera for sure.

The great thing about the Apollo LM is I have tons of technical data to build the FDM and engines from, unlike Orion which has only flown one unmanned mission.

Quite busy for the next couple weeks, but maybe I'll have some time to get it working and release a demo.

Best regards,
Uriah

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »

Doesnt seem to be much more complex than an cesna cockpit ... but i found this little project - lunar module Spider :

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28266

Maybe the guys would give away the model and some code for Outerra. It would be good to contact them.

aWac9

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:54:14 pm »

need a garage for this vehicle
Where is my moon?
I want my moon ... to that already!   
 :) :) :)

forgiveness on behalf google translator  =D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:58:39 pm by aWac9 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »

In 1999, explosions at a nuclear waste storage depot propelled the moon and its permanent human outpost (Moonbase Alpha) out of orbit and out of the solar system, never to be seen again.

Yep. Thats my story, and I'm sticking too it.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

bomber

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »

How does middle earth get created?

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 07:35:40 pm »

How does middle earth get created?

I've always thought the mountains of Middle earth always looked somehow more natural than in just Outerra earth. But I'm not sure how or why.

http://www.me-dem.me.uk/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:40:48 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »

Thanks for finding that Pyton! I'll contact Hlynkacg to determine if it is possible to do a conversion for Outerra. There are some roadblocks to using his code, but it could be made into a plugin or I'll have to re-write it.

Good point Simon  ;), the Moon, and all the planets for that matter, have data available which can be used to create worlds for OT.

Outerra worked on Mars at one point, but the problem was the projection system of the Digital Elevation Model (DEM) and the Viking color imagery is out of alignment. Also, the Viking imagery and isn't diffuse albedo so shadows on craters, mountains and cliffs are baked into the texture.

I attempted to fix the alignment using co-registration software, and get terrible results no matter how many register tracking points I use. It seems I need to find software to convert the Viking imagery raw data into the same projection as the DEM. The moon DEM and color imagery are in the same projection system so there are no such problems, but the shadows are just as bad, if not worse than Mars. I'll save this discussion for another thread in the near future.

Regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:33:12 pm by Uriah »

HiFlyer

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:30 pm »

People use Photoscenery in flightsims with shadows conflicting with the actual sun position all the time and just live with it. Is it really that much more noticeable, in Outerra?

M7

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 09:08:16 am »

Oh, looks nice!!!! How we will operate it? Should we spawn it in space and then try to land? Will it be just external view?

I loved that game.  On the version i played the gravity was inverted though.  and yeah flying the lunar with realistic control ... 8) has it ever been made?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:10:23 am by M7 »
Pages: [1] 2