Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Im new to Outerra with lots of questions  (Read 6475 times)

Sciencefiction68

Im new to Outerra with lots of questions
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:59:04 pm »

Hi. i have seen many videos of outerra engine and was fascinated. But i want able to acsess website due to Turkeys internet regulations. Finally managed to find a direct download link in forum. Wile its downloading i would like to ask some questions.

I have game idea for large scale procedural generated persistent universe with realistic sized planets. Players should be able to fly in both planet and outer space. Build space ships and diffrenet types of vehicles , gather resources for building ,reform (dig, flatten rise) their surrounding with tools like shovel and basically to do what they want to :) Can i achieve this in outerra engine? And uh i forgot this is going to be an mmo game. :)

Thanks in advance !:)

necro

• google+ Blog
Re: Im new to Outerra with lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 01:54:46 am »

Hy,

unless there is no sdk (software development kit) you wont be able to create games with OT yet. OT is an earth based universe now. Other celestial bodies are planned, but probably you have to select them before starting OT. I dont know if it will ever become a neatless solar system. Distances are very high, but maybe its possible with switching the reference systems.

The engine could also use procedural generated terrain. But you dont have the possibility to do this now. Nowadays you need terrain files which are parted.

Game mechanics will be developed in the future. Probably this will also include building objects.

Unfortunately i have to say, that your idea is not unique. Others had this idea too. It seems that the first impression of OT is always "wow, how cool would it be to have [insert obvious stuff here like mmo, space fighter, building]!?"

Many idea suppliers dont care about the developers. These people who shall realize the idea. Developers often have their own visions to realize. There is often no need for external ideas. And no time of course;) So actually there are two chances for you, to get this real:
1.) Learn game developing and make this game after OT released a development kit
2.) Wait for game developers who create games similar to your idea

I'm no OT dev, so maybe i'm not right in some facts.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Im new to Outerra with lots of questions
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:54:29 am »

I think necro explained the idea right :)

If you want to do something, start small scale first, and move to the next step when you've mastered the basics. For example, try to see how the model importer work with a simple basic model, or remake the place where you live in Outerra :)
If you have problems downloading terrain data in-game, you can download the full dataset here: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2396.0