Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The NASA 3D Resources Project  (Read 22640 times)

Planets

Re: The NASA 3D Resources Project
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 04:40:36 pm »

Here is the .fbx

http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/crawler

I know I meant the one that I saved and used to import into Outerra, with the proper reduced vertices count, and all the subdivision done on all the tracks which has unnecessary polygons.

Importing the base .fbx to Outerra will give you that "mesh cannot contain more than 65,000 vertices error" otherwise.

Edit: Or rather I just remembered that you can split the model up into separate meshes and as long as each mesh does not go over that limit it will import properly, damn it's hard to remember I basically gave up on using Blender and 3D modelling after my last attempt but now I kind of want to get back to it again.... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:29:18 pm by Planets »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 05:25:40 pm »

Crawler in front of Launch Pad 39B (Saturn/Shuttle).

Some perspective shots in front of the VAB:

:)

Planets

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »

Oh that is looking good, I'm just sad that the Crawler model is missing so many things when you get up close to it, it looks fine at a distance though.

I might give a go at some other smaller object importing from this resource list as a way to get back into doing this again now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:31:09 pm by Planets »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »

Hi, if you are considering importing for models that would be awesome!!! :) There have been a ton of new models posted to the NASA 3d website since this thread was posted, including more FBX submissions and higher quality work. If it is a complex model, like a rocket or something that has animation, start a new thread for it and I will link it to it in the top post. Now that there are more in FBX format, I will be able to import a number myself. I am working on the ISS and a couple others currently.

Regards,
Uriah

Planets

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 06:47:16 pm »

Thanks, yeah I would certainly like to try my hand at this again, and help out with this project of yours if I can. Right now I'm just trying to get the lowres HDU model imported but I ran into the same snags that I usually do when I import things to Outerra, mainly missing textures, despite all the textures showing up correctly in Blender (for once)  :(

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 07:11:24 pm »

I am not sure about the import process with Blender, although I should familiarize myself. When you import an FBX from Max, the textures should be imported automatically. Check of there are any DDS files in the package folder. If not, just import them manually and add them to the .mtl file under the correct material/channel. If you don't have any luck start a thread in the Modding Importer board and someone will help you out.

Regards,
Uriah

Planets

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 07:15:21 pm »

This seems to be a problem with Outerra's FBX importer, or maybe I'm exporting it to .fbx wrong with Blender. I converted the original textures to .dds and they showed up fine in Blender and Autodesk FBX Review but don't show up in game despite the file name structure for the texture files being correct.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 07:19:39 pm »

Blender handles two set of textures for the object: those in the material, and the one in the uv layout, and this is exported as a second material for the object. Enter in edit mode, select all the faces and remove any texture asociated in the UV layout (pressing the "x" in the right side).

If you export using collada you don't have to make this, because there is an option "include UV textures" wich is unselected by defautl, but would be good to get used to .fbx, because, as far as I know, it will be the only format in the future.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Planets

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 08:14:05 pm »

Blender handles two set of textures for the object: those in the material, and the one in the uv layout, and this is exported as a second material for the object. Enter in edit mode, select all the faces and remove any texture asociated in the UV layout (pressing the "x" in the right side).

Sometimes I wish Blender wasn't so godamn confusing lol

I'll be honest it took me awhile to figure out what you meant, is it that I should delete the .dds file from the texture, or the material tab in Blender?

Also it occurred to me that all my previous imports have the texture files in the package folder and mine were missing, but adding them manually fixed the problem thankfully, I think I had to do this for my DSN dish imports as well come to think of it.

I'm going to still try what you said in Blender though since normally the textures should be importing along with the model into Outerra but as long as this method works as well that's fine too. I tested it by deleting my package folder and installing it through the .otx I made when I exported and it all worked, thankfully.

So here you go if anyone wants it, hence the name it is low res up close but I don't find it all that bad, I'm going to get started with one model from the list that isn't being worked on and see what I can do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilkk38rwsy5uio7/hdu.Planets.otx.zip?dl=0

Pages: 1 [2]