Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [Released] Cessna 172A  (Read 35764 times)

bomber

[Released] Cessna 172A
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:00:31 pm »

http://target4today.com/_posted_files_/Cesna_172/c172.Levi.otx

New update on the Cessna 172A

Some weight balance corrections to take into account unusable fuel in the tanks....oil usage added
The major news is that it has a new 'fuel system' that models gravity feed and negative 'G' effects.

Guys... for those with joysticks what I really need is for you to spin her, as there are a few ways for which to move on this and I'm not sure if I've got it correct... I need feedback on this.

Need a serious testing regime in Outerra, with genuine passion for the task, a professional approach to documenting the findings and the gumption to call a spade a spade.... no flannel..

Regards

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

josem75

Re: [Released] Cessna 172A
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:29:07 pm »

Nice done.
Now what i see the flying is more real. If i turn all to the right, the plane steer turn fast, but the plane itself take his time to turn. Slowly compared with the previous version of the plane (probably previous was so arcade).

Another nice thing is to see how my poor little Cesna seems to be about to explode vibrating while high speed descending ))) 

Now what we need is a time multiplier, so we can choose x2, x4, x8.. Etc. Coz Cessna is a little bit slow sometimes for long distances
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:56:30 pm by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »

Thanks again for all of your hard work, Simon.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

aWac9

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:56:24 pm »

great .. more realistic, right turns and braking, perhaps missing some power

great job, thank you very much sir.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 06:56:47 pm »

I'm confused. I can't even fly now. Is the steering inverted on purpose?  I push all the throttle, the mixture is at 100, and when I take off I just can't  fly high enough.

I uninstalled (deleted) all previous cessna versions installed, (included OT) to be shure I'm flying the right one.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

bomber

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:24:38 am »

Sorry to hear you're having trouble KW...

I'm sure you know already but here are some things to consider and tips.

1) 145hp isn't a lot
2) 130kts top speed at sea level doesn't set any records
3) allow the speed to build up after takeoff.
4) gentle climbs

Frankly this plane doesn't pull up any trees for me.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:34:36 am »

Nice work :)

- Using keyboard (no joystick ATM) I had to deactivate the wing level autopilot, because the effect is too visible. I guess this will be tied to a on/off switch once we get the extended control scheme, and it's a nice feature once you are in cruise altitude. But for take-off it makes the plane hard to control.

- On this model, the animated elements (flaps, ailerons, rudder, pedals) are not working. These elements are using various JBSIM values in the script file, so I guess these are different in the new fdm. The ones concerned are:

Code: [Select]
    fcs/rudder-pos-rad
    fcs/rudder-pos-rad
    fcs/rudder-pos-rad
    fcs/flap-pos-rad
    fcs/left-aileron-pos-rad
    fcs/right-aileron-pos-rad
    fcs/aileron-cmd-norm
    fcs/elevator-cmd-norm
      As other users noticed, rudder control is inverted. Not sure if it's normal and more close to the real plane.
      Since it's still a WIP, it's not really a problem :)

Here is a better sound pack : it's using your default script file (the wing level autopilot is off on this one). More engine sounds, flaps.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wn1ylll1110lam0/C172_sounds_Bomber_FDM.zip

Just unzip in Outerra/packages/Levi/c172

bomber

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 05:41:31 am »

Arh yes.... My focus is flight model and adding auto pilot did require some property name changes.. Fuel tank gauge is also wrong.

Gonna download the zip cheers

bomber

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 06:06:37 am »

Ok just flown using my joystick for the first time in a while and found both my rudder and elevator inverted, so went to the control panel and changed them round...

apart from shocking fps in this update, which almost make it impossible to fly... and a tendency for the plane to slowing turn right, which I'm not noticing in the FG testing.... and also a large 'deadband' on the ailerons which I don't see in FG... Her performance is about as I expected, safe and boring.

Simon

Acetone

• Youtube channel
      « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 07:40:48 am »

apart from shocking fps in this update, which almost make it impossible to fly

What GPU/CPU are you using? I've noticed a small performance improvement on the latest version, so it seems strange that you get a really bad framerate with this one...

and a tendency for the plane to slowing turn right, which I'm not noticing in the FG testing....

Isn't that a consequence of the P-factor?

I really like the plane handling. Really slow, it's true, but your FM makes the experience really satisfying, you feel the difference. I hope we will have some weather parameters to modify in the engine in the future, would be really interesting to see how this plane reacts to cross winds or pressure variations, thermals,...

bomber

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 08:35:59 am »

Yes that might well be the p-factor...

Well jsbsim comes with wind, turbulence etc it's just that we need to have a js script to adjust properties.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
      « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 08:39:58 am »

Her performance is about as I expected, safe and boring.

... well, being unsafe its the 208´s job.

... or the generic airport obstacle ones:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:42:14 am by PytonPago »
      We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

aWac9

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »

we will 05'42'' flight from Queenstown's airport, and we can appreciate the new features included in the flight model Cessna 172A fellow bomber.
      Maybe I noticed some lack of power (T push), but do not know if it must. and another thing that if I noticed in the tail rudder does not help drifting, avoiding the feeling of depth.

720/1080 phd

bomber

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 07:49:36 am »

As always a very nice video....

We also need a float plane variant if we're to do water landings

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
      « Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 05:42:28 am »

Hi there, and very nice job on the FDM Simon! :)

Here is my version of the Cessna featuring bomber's new FDM and Acetone's sound pack, among other changes and fixes: Download

Changelog:
      - New package folder structure.
      - Bomber's new FDM.
      - Acetone's sound pack (interior and exterior sounds switches according to camera positions and doors state (open/closed)):
          - Wind
          - Avionics
          - Flaps
          - Engine
          - Propeller
      - Wing Level AP (turned On when you leave the pilot's seat. Default key: "V")
      - Fixed FCS (flight control surfaces) animations.
      - Fixed Fuel Quantity gauge.

Note: Due to package folder structure changes, I would recommend you to manually delete the c172 folder in /packages/Levi/ before installing this one.

Simon, apart from the inverted rudder, it seems that I can't steer the plane on ground at low speeds. And even the property to animate the nose gear steering doesn't work anymore. But I guess these issues are easily fixable.
      Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5