Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: weapons  (Read 7796 times)

zzz

weapons
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »

So how far down the list are weapons in the to-do list? For me and a lot of the vehicle releases, they would be the next big thing in having something to "play" in Outerra. Considering the UFO has had weapons for ages it seems like the base functionality is already working.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:32:52 am »

UFO-like weapons can be added easily, but they are basically just tracers that produce explosion when they hit terrain. If that's enough, initially. Smoke trails will be added later when the particle system gets its final shape.
Things like damage modeling will require yet more effort, not even sure if there's one fit for all possible types of damage in OT.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:37:24 am »

UFO-like weapons can be added easily, but they are basically just tracers that produce explosion when they hit terrain. If that's enough, initially. Smoke trails will be added later when the particle system gets its final shape.
Things like damage modeling will require yet more effort, not even sure if there's one fit for all possible types of damage in OT.

... id say, if there will be support for "damage-meshes" and a way of defining and differentiating between them in OT, it will be okay. Best for each one in script of the vehicle/character to be able to do even WoT-like realistic (to some extent, but they did a good job at this - doe, i dont like that too fast pace of that game and armor mixing) damage surfaces. Yet for simple ones, its just setting the same values all over. 

Problems would be more for characters, but i can imagine just pre-processing, what items it has on himself and based on their individual values, compute the damage done for the body-part it hit (would be interesting to have also internal organs there, then some serious medic-modification would be possible too).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:39:54 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

josem75

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:47:09 am »

That was in my suggestion list,as something very simple and the easiest way to do for quit less time posible.
Initially can be more than enough make a easy way gun system related with Ufo Gun. I will explain my idea.

Just being programable by script with the position of the gun for initial shot, and the power of the shot, maybe even being posible increasing the power by releasing button some seconds like in Ufo, or changing button like if you have diferent weapons.
Just would be necesary begining from a smaller damage, because the less damage shot with Ufo gun is still huge for a mercenary shot for example, or even plane canyon. Smallest damage, can be just a sign in Terrain (1/20 of the smallest actual ufo gun).
For a plane or tank we can increase canyon damage, even you can add again the old smoke just for fun.

Then the posibility of adding customized sound for the final terrain shot and we are done! I dont know if is there the posibility in the actual status, to determine if shot is against asphalt/rocks or green/clay, for change this sound.

Just something simple and easy.

PD: I dont know if we play and shot just for fun, would be good idea if the terrain can be deformed during the game, but if reset game all will be good again. Or make the option (well, the option actually i use when messing up with craters is finishing the game with task manager in windows).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:55:34 am by josem75 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 02:57:25 am »

PD: I dont know if we play and shot just for fun, would be good idea if the terrain can be deformed during the game, but if reset game all will be good again. Or make the option (well, the option actually i use when messing up with craters is finishing the game with task manager in windows).

Craters aren't persistent, you can exit the app normally ;)

josem75

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:05:41 am »

Craters aren't persistent, you can exit the app normally ;)

My mistake. Normally when i am messing up with objects and roads i use that way.. xD

josem75

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:34 am »

I didnt read Pyton before my last coment. I dont know how complex can be damage in meshes. Maybe with the added colision, is posible to shot a house and even make a sound for it (animate the shot against the wall or damage, would require more job i suppouse).
Same way for shot a car or a plane.
My idea was a simple way for a simple begining while the more complex system can be implemented and improved.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:24:26 am by josem75 »

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:42:05 am »

Well, damaging is very complex. So many games just let them burn and explode after a while. That might be the shortest approach. GTA is doing much more and i guess you have to separate the parts of your vehicle to make them deform-/destructable.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 06:27:16 am »

I didnt read Pyton before my last coment. I dont know how complex can be damage in meshes. Maybe with the added colision, is posible to shot a house and even make a sound for it (animate the shot against the wall or damage, would require more job i suppouse).
Same way for shot a car or a plane.
My idea was a simple way for a simple begining while the more complex system can be implemented and improved.

... well ... it depends on what one needs - still, you have to look back at the MAFIA I game as for the father of basic shape-destruction. I guess, for a military and aerial plane, its much more hardcore - DCS itself has aircrafts split corectly after shapes of internals, with some damage-textures and random meshes as debree flying around - not sure if that kind ewer gets to vehicles at all, as you cant use that approach for all posible penetrations (aircrafts are quite delicate, so damage by 30 mm cannon can still ripp off part of the plane, if not even the 12.7 mm caliber (like Kord machinegun on most soviet-design armor)). All small-arms are then just the slapped textures of gun-shot holes. But armor has a much more variety of destructive end-effect, thats why even ARMA has just the normal model and a destroyed model, witch switches after a big boom, no mather what __

EXAMPLE :

-- normally flames or HEAT munition - hull is actually there, but all flamable stuff burned and some hull-breaches due to massive oxidation and fire corrosion effect on metal parts of not much width.

-- cumulative warheads - basically munitios in the tank explode, lifting the turret away - but the main-frame doesnt have to be burned like this, but look from the exterior quite ok ...

-- Heawy mines or really powerfull munition (hell-cats etc.) - basically ripping the texch appart at the place it hits - and you cant simulate such destruction in a PC - no way, when the model isnt on maybe vertex base and with complete internals like that.

Yet, some parts are breachable or bendable with no problem, like anti-RPG barriers, or some really thin metal parts (normally track-cowers, if they arent armored) ... yet less stable tech, like BTRs are much more worse, as there even a 12.7 can shoot a hole trough and by intensive fire, you can make an circle with that part falling off no problem. such destruction is impossible to make (and its basically the heawy mine/munition thing, but on far less width-armor tech). ... I dont think anything new in this will be done in the next 20-30 years, till computing power and a lot of other stuff gets much much better in PC sphere ...

Also, all variations of damage of each separate part has to be a separate mesh in the model ... no-buddy would spend 2 years + on a single tech model just from the modeling part to cover such a variety of influences ... id like that, but, its a full-time job time-frame, so 3 decades for a home-modding effort ...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:29:49 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

zzz

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:51 am »

UFO-like weapons can be added easily, but they are basically just tracers that produce explosion when they hit terrain. If that's enough, initially.

That would be enough for a fun start.

I don't know how difficult it'd be for a function that returns 1 when a tracer overlaps with the bounding box of a vehicle. We could do HP bars then, but atm I don't think Outerra allows objects to be aware of each other.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:50:07 pm »

We need to play with the BULLET physics engine more. Have velocity of projectile, Mass of projectile, aerodynamic drag of the projectile all come into play. Especially when you hit a 10000kg tank with a 0.05 kg bullet. That way when it calculates damage for one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h6sAUHwTP4A#t=16
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

bomber

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:55:15 am »

I need to read up on the bullet physics being used here..... Can someone point me in the right direction please
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:00 am »

I need to read up on the bullet physics being used here..... Can someone point me in the right direction please

http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo