Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Evaluation of 30m elevation data in Outerra

<< < (5/8) > >>

KW71:
For example, just a small adjust in Gimp (render in Blender, exactly same settings for both):
NOTE: It is just a picture from internet, not data used in OT.

ORIGINAL / CONTRAST ENHANCED:

ORIGINAL:

ENHANCED:

EDIT: ENHANCED LESS CONTRAST

HiFlyer:
The question is, does that make it more realistic? Or just artificially more irregular?

KW71:

--- Quote from: HiFlyer on May 28, 2015, 12:52:55 pm ---The question is, does that make it more realistic? Or just artificially more irregular?

--- End quote ---

Is just a bit of contrast in the image. The adjust could be even smaller (see edited images), and, of course, this renders lack the fractal detail.

HiFlyer:
I think the less contrast images look better, but other peoples milage may vary. Outerra straddles a fine dividing line. I'm just worried that things don't become too "fractally" and cross the line into over-detail.

2eyed:
Well, I'm a bit dissapointed with the outcome from socalled 30m data. Had higher hopes regarding this. Sharpness of cliffs and ridgelines and more detailed erosive patterns would help to make terrain look more realistic.
Mabe there is a way to refine your procedural/fractal engine without extra data input (at the expense of world fidelity).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version