Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Evaluation of 30m elevation data in Outerra

<< < (7/8) > >>

HiFlyer:
A question I would ask is how much does the increased resolution affect framerate, if at all?

cameni:
I haven't measured it precisely (needs to be a dynamic perf measurement), but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. It's just that one terrain level is now loaded instead of being generated, but there isn't a big difference, performance-wise.

John514:
Just a thought... if FSX, a sim made in 2006 can use 10m DEM the size of North America (FTX PNW) , why can't  Outerra?

cameni:
PNW isn' t the size of North America, and it's not a 10m mesh. It's LOD10, meaning a 38m mesh.

I see even ORBX is advertising it as 10m, even though the mesh author himself wondered where that misinformation came from.

John514:

--- Quote from: cameni on September 08, 2015, 11:29:36 am ---PNW isn' t the size of North America, and it's not a 10m mesh. It's LOD10, meaning a 38m mesh.

I see even ORBX is advertising it as 10m, even though the mesh author himself wondered where that misinformation came from.

--- End quote ---
Now that is interesting! Anyway, whatever orbx uses, it look very good. If it is 38m then things are even better. I think a big part of how orbx scenery looks is due to textures. Is there a way to base the textures in Outerra to satellite photos? I'm not saying to overlay the photos on the terrain but color it based on them instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version