Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Banked roads  (Read 30083 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Banked roads
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 03:57:08 pm »

A suggestion I will make is have an option to have the camera jump to the node you are editing while looking down the road and also add a next-previous node button so you could just scoot down the road making the adjustments instead of chasing it manually. Also can you adjust how often a node is placed? is it the transitional option?

also hotkeys for adjustments and node jumping would be faster then using the mouse to select.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Banked roads
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »

The editor will be reworked, that there is just the first basic version.
Jumping to the edited node, that's a good idea. It could preserve the distance and orientation wrt the edited node the same as the one used at the previous one, it would be annoying if it always reset you to a top down view when you are adjusting the slant, for example.

There's a maximum allowed distance between nodes, if you jump too far it will add additional nodes in between. The transitional distance tells the width of area that is used to blend between road sides and the original terrain. Larger values make the corridor wider and the side slopes less steep.

razgriz 53992

Banked roads
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 05:32:14 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
A suggestion I will make is have an option to have the camera jump to the node you are editing while looking down the road and also add a next-previous node button so you could just scoot down the road making the adjustments instead of chasing it manually. Also can you adjust how often a node is placed? is it the transitional option?

also hotkeys for adjustments and node jumping would be faster then using the mouse to select.

With regards to making road placement quicker, what would be cool is if you could select a start and end point for the road and the road is automatically created using the path of least resistant, like IRL, so it curves round hill and mountains. I think having to place and track every node would take a while to build full roads.

Chris M

Banked roads
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 06:23:08 am »

That would be a very hard task to do automatically, as you'd have a few contradicting optimisation targets:
[list=*]
  • Is the straight path the best? Or do you need serpentines as it's getting too steep?[/*]
  • Should you follow the contour of the hill or create a tunnel or a bridge? Where should it start and where should it end?[/*]
  • Should the maximum allowed curvature be limited by the design speed of the road, or is it allowed th have few places where the traffic has to slow down? How many are allowed?[/*]
  • What about water, towns, ... in the way?[/*]
Basically you'd have to create an algorithm that does exactly all the planning that a real road designer has to do...

What I could imaging would be an interactive tool that helps by automatically suggesting an trivial route and where you can interactively refine that route, e.g. by manually telling to to avoid areas, to create serpentines, to build a bride, tunnel, sunken lane, ...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Banked roads
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:28 am »

Or he could hire another player who specializes in road planning :)

Yes, it would be a hard task to do automatically, but maybe there will be someone who'd write a script for that purpose. It won't be trivial because of the complexity Chris mentioned.
But I think many people will enjoy designing the roads by themselves.

razgriz 53992

Banked roads
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05:54 am »

Quote from: cameni

I for one certainly will, I'll be building full on road systems, towns and airports.

Outerra has always given me a vision of finding a remote little island, building a town/airport/road network round it and it'll be MYYYY island :D

Jagerbomber

Banked roads
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 01:18:32 pm »

I know I would.  :D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Banked roads
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 03:17:45 pm »

the question is what happens when you set a node then set one 10 miles away or 100 miles away or on the other side of the globe?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
Banked roads
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »

Quote from: grabacr 31770
Quote from: cameni

I for one certainly will, I'll be building full on road systems, towns and airports.

Outerra has always given me a vision of finding a remote little island, building a town/airport/road network round it and it'll be MYYYY island :D
Until I come to your island with a full army of mechs and take it from you :D lol
I made a pic about it lmao..

Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

razgriz 53992

Banked roads
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
the question is what happens when you set a node then set one 10 miles away or 100 miles away or on the other side of the globe?

The bridge'll be bloody huge :D

You could race across the atlantic... on a pushbike?

ScorpyX

Banked roads
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 12:19:53 am »

I think the auto focus or hotkey focus (camera) will be very useful for
working with individual cells of the road..

and hotkeys for jumping to the next and previous road-cell
Pages: 1 [2]