Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Forest editor  (Read 5910 times)

Avi

Forest editor
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:22:24 am »

I have noticed that in many places, forests are missing where there should be especially in the hills and mountains in places where I am familiar with. Will it be possible later on to have some sort of custom forest maker of sorts to fill in vacant areas with forests or even to remove forests?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Forest editor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:10 am »

It will be possible with vector editor, but we'll also be getting better forest data. Right now it derives only from vegetation index values, which aren't entirely appropriate.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:36:39 am »

It will be possible with vector editor, but we'll also be getting better forest data. Right now it derives only from vegetation index values, which aren't entirely appropriate.

... where would you get such data ? ... or just some forest-border map extract (http://mapy.hiking.sk/) ? Wouldnt be bad, but i have no idea if a global map like that exists (even merging separate ones would be quite the problem for the whole world) ... but they have separately forests and hi-mountain vegetation (kosodreviny in slovakian) ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:20:52 am »

For example here: http://earthenginepartners.appspot.com/science-2013-global-forest
It's in 30m spatial resolution, though it will require just a few bits of resolution for the values. Also, needs to be combined with a species map.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:05 am »

Wow ... didnt notice the forest coverage part, as it had losses highlighted first ... yes, pretty much enough detail. Species can be tricky, but the one presentation you showed (where they presented OT as means of showing off forest-losses of particular regions for the future theoretical global warming progress) were saying something about some data-banks, they're probably not in such a manner, like this coverage map, but im positive, such thing could be doable, if this one is in such good shape .... fingers crossed for ya !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:48:27 pm »

Humans suck
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

josem75

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »

Humans suck

Agree..
Now we are creating a drone technology for plant millions of trees very easy and cheaper than actually is..  At least....