Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Targeting pod?  (Read 5185 times)

Hooves

Targeting pod?
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »

How well can outerra support a Target pod view?  That is to say what would a camera on the Mq9 or a Sniper pod  from a modern jet fighter look like in outerra?  Is there a way to Zoom in from a position that is at altitude?  All I have seen is the camera point flying through space.

What id like to see is if the camera can view objects from a distance but zoomed in.  Other engines like ArmA's RV,  have loding issues at distance.  Does outerra? 

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I have most of the parts to my PC and will be getting Internet I stalled at my new place so I can start answeri gmy own questions soon.  Lol. 

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: Targeting pod?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:07:11 pm »

Hi,

I did a basic mockup of this a while back. You can currently attached a view point anywhere on an aircraft. I added the OSD (on screen display) as a flat plane mesh with opacity texture, but a javascript method is needed to call the current camera angle from script in order to set the pod to rotate with the camera view, which would be necessary for many implementations, such as the MQ-9 Targeting Pod. Alternatively you could use 2D overlay for a simple OSD, using HTML/CSS/JS, which would work much better at the moment.

You can currently zoom in/out by going hitting Esc key --> Menu --> Graphics --> FOV angle, but I would like to implement a method to zoom in/out with +/- keys. Outerra has no problem with LOD at various FOVs, if fact it adjusts to the LOD to compensate for angular resolution. :)

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,
Uriah

Hooves

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:12:47 pm »

Yeah sure does!  I'll look into this further starting this weekend.  I'm a noon when it comes to all that stuff.  But I need a hobby!  I hope I can bounce so e questions off you.  Also are you the Uriah from Arma and flight sim forums like il2?

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:56 pm »

What do you have in mind specifically? An aircraft you plan on importing, or a mod of a current one?

In terms of scripting, I learned everything I know since joining OT. Trial and error. ;) Ask anything you need.

Must be a different Uriah.

Regards,
Uriah

Hooves

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 07:37:18 am »

I'd really love to flush out that Mq9 to make it much more realistic.  I have all the reference material in the world to make it work.  You wanna help me on tbis project?

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:38:49 am »

I've already offered bugsblake to help with some scripting, and I'll do what I can given my schedule and the scope of what is currently possible in OT.

Regards,
Uriah

Hooves

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:21:10 am »

Awesome.  I'd be very interested in what OT CAN do.  As far as the rgr pod.  What I'm looking to do as a baseline is have updating symbology in the pod graphics, in a various FOV's  and an IR picture and a DTV picture.  Mayne more when I figure out what else OT is capable of.  So you have a TeamSpeak you hang out on where we can chat?