Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Honey I shrank the planet  (Read 12702 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Honey I shrank the planet
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:08:15 am »

Recent code changes ultimately aimed at support for multiple planets and moons in solar system allow us to do some experiments with the existing planet Earth. I did a quick test with shrinking the planet by factor of 16, and checking if it would still work. It does, though there are some things that do not adapt yet - like clouds are now in space, atmospheric computations have some glitches, mountains are too steep, preserving their original height (though for artistic purposes they'd probably not be lowered by 16x).

Note this doesn't mean we'd want to degrade the engine or the full-scale world rendering that we've got; the inspiration for the test came when I saw the small No Mans Sky worlds.
Now we just have to paint the grass red :)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Honey I shrank the planet
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:02 am »

Interesting. So smaller bodies can now be made. How about bigger planets and rings?
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:40:53 am »

It would be interesting to generate the dataset for mars and render that with OT. Probably it will look great without doing greater tweaks.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:34:28 am »

Nice!
The clouds may be buggy, but it looks like a global cloud map with a planet of this size :-)

Edit: Even if the other planetary datasets are not ready, when the multi-planetary support will be possible, having a small sized earth orbiting around the normal one could be interesting!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:01:34 am by Acetone »

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:41:27 am »

Now just need to hire some orbital mechanics......
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:47 am »

Interesting. So smaller bodies can now be made. How about bigger planets and rings?

Obviously this would not be used for gas giants, which only need cloudy atmosphere. But I can scale the planet up as well, here 16x:

Hard to assess the size from the screenshots alone, other than from where the haze occurs (at 100km) and the curvature not visible until much higher than usually. It can be felt in motion, even at high altitude it's like you were flying over a huge plane and not a sphere. Its surface is 256 times larger than current Earth's landmass.

Interestingly, the size of this world is now bigger than the surface area of Minecraft up to its usable limit (~30,000km until you hit precision problems).

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 10:35:29 am »

Its surface is 256 times larger than current Earth's landmass.

Interestingly, the size of this world is now bigger than the surface area of Minecraft up to its usable limit (~30,000km until you hit precision problems).

"... Because Jupiter is made of gas, mostly, its surface is considered uniform. As such, it lacks high and low points — mountains and valleys — such as those found on rocky terrestrial planets." - Dont think the height-data would be too much complicated (aside that he´s a oblate spheroid - broather in the equator, thinner from pole to pole), maybe even a 1km resolution would be enough.  =D But if ya ewer make Jupiter, do let us go into the storm atmosphere ... i just like to fly there.

... pff, first man on Mars ... ill be the first on Jupiter 8) .... or on the big yellow guy ...

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:12:44 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.