Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Mans Sky  (Read 12858 times)

HiFlyer

No Mans Sky
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:00:35 pm »

Interesting articles and videos about how it came to be. A look at another teams approach to procedural worlds.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/13/no-mans-sky-from-humble-beginnings
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

zombie00

Re: No Mans Sky
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:11:13 am »

I wonder how many different "algorithms" or random generation set ups they can come up with. I mean, sure, the game gives you randomly generated planets, but without any direct input and/or set of parameters, we are bound to get: Hill planet with lakes, Peaky planet with steep mountains, tentacle-like rock formation planet, desert like planet, island chain planet, etc. Well, at least that's what I can see given what they have shown so far (being following the project for a while, long before the flood ruined their stuff).
The combat looks awful, incredibly stiff and slow, there is no feedback to damage, it doesn't even feel like walking. To my understanding, there is only one weapon that does it all by firing different projectiles for each task, which again seems lazy and takes away one aspect they could have exploited (looking around for weird weapons). They never said anything about gravity either, something that could have brought some variety to the environments.
My hype is gone for good, I'm rather disappointed with what they have shown so far. Will give it a try when it comes out though.
The pop in was rather awful too, but that could be a console limitation, they were showing it on a PS4 apparently.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »

I suspect the player would get bored long before seeing all the possible combinations of planets. especially if the developers are adding new things as time passes. They also say that things get wilder and less recognizable as you head toward the center of the galaxy.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 05:56:17 pm »

Hey, it might not be the game for you, but this is my kind of game.  Hell, I have a ridiculous amount of hours and miles put into just roaming FUEL.  I love that sort of stuff.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

zombie00

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:24:30 pm »

Hey, it might not be the game for you, but this is my kind of game.  Hell, I have a ridiculous amount of hours and miles put into just roaming FUEL.  I love that sort of stuff.

Fuel has good gameplay, I really liked that game, but I don't see the redeeming factor here. I enjoyed roaming around aimlessly on Red Dead Redemption too and a lot of people complained about how barren the desert was (I know, a barren desert, who would have tough that).
Seems like a First person Spore, another game that had a neat premise, but ended up being disappointing and shallow.
Of course I'm a bit shaded with this stuff, have had one too many hyped games turning out to be bad.
We'll have to wait and see, I'll certainly give it a go.

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:12 pm »

I'm also one who loves just roaming, as long as there are new things to find and use, occasionally.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:47:05 pm »

That one game being Destiny?  =D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

Some interesting concepts on how to keep procedurally generated worlds interesting. http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/3/8140343/no-mans-sky-space-probes-gdc-quintillion-worlds

HiFlyer

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 10:45:43 am »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:20:12 pm »

I find it fascinating how well they run the hype machine. A small team targeting the media perfectly. Reminds me of Spore, but that was run by pros ...

HiFlyer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 06:25:26 pm »

I find it fascinating how well they run the hype machine. A small team targeting the media perfectly. Reminds me of Spore, but that was run by pros ...

I've thought so too. They play the game well!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 09:14:03 pm »

Hey, I'm still gonna like it.  It's just the kind of game for me.  Lots and lots of exploration.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 06:28:29 am »

I have the impression that they know really well what are the limitations of their concept are (the parallel with spore is great), but so far they doesn't seem to oversell the concept too much (except by being extremely vague on some details, and not really talking about the limitations). Didn't have the time to watch this video yet.

But Sony secured the exclusivity on consoles for No Man's Sky, and they keep pushing the game as a revolutionary concept with no limitations, and I think it may hurt it when it's ready, because it's more a niche game aimed toward those wanting a relaxing exploration of a randomly generated universe (with a bit of gameplay) than a full fledged space exploration sim. Reminds me of Proteus, for some reason.

The fact that they were able to show their project on national TV is not a result of a hype they created  initially but rather an impressive (and well hidden) communication campaign by Sony.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 06:37:02 am »

... an impressive (and well hidden) communication campaign by Sony.

Ah, so from there the wind blows. I was wondering how one could get to a national TV through the hype alone.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:01:57 am »

Oh... I didn't realize you didn't know that.  :facepalm:

You could try running through the streets naked with an Outerra sign.  Maybe that'll help.  =D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:05:47 am by Jagerbomber »
Pages: [1] 2