Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: future of the game  (Read 26526 times)

fooff

Re: future of the game
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 03:07:09 pm »

And here i am again! After almost 6 months still no game. I wasn't really expecting anything i can really play on, but, come on! At least could you please give use your idea for the game? Have you decided what to do? Are there ANY plans for the future or you are simply going to improve the engines until something happens?

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 02:12:11 am »

How many games were developed in 6 months? Did you? Come back in 6 years if you want to wait for a game. That should be more realistic. The game idea was discussed one the first page of this thread. So reread your own posts to get answers for this particular question. All other questions i cant answer ;)

fooff

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:48 am »

As i said i wasn't expecting a game, but AT LEAST an idea of a game. And no, i'm not waiting since six month, i'm waiting since 2013. One could think 3 years are enough time to think about what type of game this engine is going to power, or not?

zombie00

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 01:42:36 pm »

As i said i wasn't expecting a game, but AT LEAST an idea of a game. And no, i'm not waiting since six month, i'm waiting since 2013. One could think 3 years are enough time to think about what type of game this engine is going to power, or not?

3 years to develop a new engine from scratch with a lot of innovation to it and a game? Do you even know anything about game development? I'm not an expert or anything, but plenty of games from massive studios that merely updated an already existent engine and made a game went through 5 years of development before being done.
You weren't promised a product within a certain time period, feel free to keep waiting. The overall idea for the first game was already expressed by the devs.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »

Hi, guys!

Let's keep things friendly here. Certainly when we see a very promising engine, as OT is, we all would like to see a game running on it in short time... and, certainly too, game development may take a lot of time.

fooff, I know for sure that OT teams is working at full revolutions. You can say that by observing how each new release have new cool stuff.  I'm pretty sure patience will pay...  :)
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

bomber

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 05:20:49 pm »

I think you've got the wrong idea...

I'm creating a wwii bomber crew simulation....  T4T.

The outerra team are creating the base product on which I can do that... one of the many things I have to do is manage the expectations of any that are interested in T4T. ... but you might not be interested in a bomber sim but instead in a space or car or naval sim and that's up to others to communicate their progress.

A platform to build a new online persistent simulation isn't a simple task to create, or to put in place tools to help create content.. but I can assure you that this is just what the outerra team are doing.

They're listen and incorporating all the many varied requirements and we're desperate to showcase the advances made, but it's got to be right, it's got to have the tools that people can use and build on.

A game is simple to create and you'd grow bored with it and move on to the next thing in 6 months..... that's not my goal so give us a little credit and let us work out all the building blocks that are needed to create a really long lasting product.

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

aWac9

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 07:10:42 pm »

well said

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 04:18:08 am »

+1 Simon!  :))

fooff

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 11:36:39 am »

3 years to develop a new engine from scratch with a lot of innovation to it and a game?
You weren't promised a product within a certain time period, feel free to keep waiting. The overall idea for the first game was already expressed by the devs.

As KW71 suggested i'll keep it friendly, but, wtf? Do I have to say for the third time i wasnt expecting a game? I just want to know what the plans are.
And what do you mean by overall idea? Are you referring to that "return to an abandoned earth' idea"?

Bomber, my point is this section of the forum was made in order to suggest what kind of game the developers should focus on. Since i funded the project nothing changed, the ideas are still confused and if you make a post asking what's going on, people attack you cause you have not enough faith. I just wanna know. I'm not pretending a game, i pretend somebody tell me what the plans are, in the exact same way you have done with your T4T.
Is it a bad thing? Am i missing something?

bomber

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 11:55:11 am »

I don't think it's a bad thing...

I'd go as far as to say I'd like see the formation of informal teams to help focus volunteer content development... flight sImming is well represented but I'd like to see more action from other genres.

Another problem you face in your desire to understand what game might be developed within the outerra environment is the inclusion of professional development houses and they're simply not going to spill the beans.

Simon....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

zombie00

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »

3 years to develop a new engine from scratch with a lot of innovation to it and a game?

As KW71 suggested i'll keep it friendly, but, wtf? Do I have to say for the third time i wasnt expecting a game? I just want to know what the plans are.
And what do you mean by overall idea? Are you referring to that "return to an abandoned earth' idea"?

Bomber, my point is this section of the forum was made in order to suggest what kind of game the developers should focus on. Since i funded the project nothing changed, the ideas are still confused and if you make a post asking what's going on, people attack you cause you have not enough faith. I just wanna know. I'm not pretending a game, i pretend somebody tell me what the plans are, in the exact same way you have done with your T4T.
Is it a bad thing? Am i missing something?

Yes, the overall idea is that.
And no, you didn't fund something, this wasn't a kickstarter, you payed for a product and you got it.
I can sympathize with your frustration, I'm not even into flight simulators and we are yet to see anything on Outerra that could be used for the game genres I like (milsims, RPG to name a couple), but I'm under the impression you're mixing up everything here. I'm not attacking you, sorry if I came through a bit "rough", I'm just amazed by how people have been spoiled by half-baked indie games that are built on some already existent engine, released way before they are closed to be done and fooled people into thinking that's the norm. Why would the devs start talking about the game when the tools aren't there to start making it? Just generating more hype? That would be counter-productive if you ask me.
I'm glad with the progress we have got to see with TitanIM, if a Milsim game is born out of that, I'll will be more than satisfied.

I don't think it's a bad thing...

I'd go as far as to say I'd like see the formation of informal teams to help focus volunteer content development... flight sImming is well represented but I'd like to see more action from other genres.

I'm not a dev, making games is far from my expertise, but for what I can tell, most genres lack the tools to do anything, we need animations and there seems to be something missing when it comes to "terrain collision" (lacking the knowledge to properly articulate this, maybe you will get what I'm talking about). There were also some limitations with the physics if I recall correctly. Again, the latest TitanIM demo showed some of this working, so maybe we will have it in the engine in the near future.

fooff

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 02:02:21 pm »

Yes, the overall idea is that.

But, in this very post, Cameni told he was considering another kind of game, an fps-strategy rather than survival one. This was 6 months ago. So I am a little bit confused.
There have been any progresses toward it? Is there at least a date in which works will begin?
I'd like to know the answers of those questions not only because i bought the engine, but mostly because i'd really like to see something beautiful get out of it.

I'm not a programmer, nor a graphic designer, so i bought it mostly to show support, and probably there are many like me. By not sharing the devs plans for the future, they only make us disappointed

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 04:28:27 pm »

But, in this very post, Cameni told he was considering another kind of game, an fps-strategy rather than survival one.

From the main page of the tech demo:

Anteworld is a world-building game on a massive true-to-life scale of our planet. Returning aboard an interstellar colonizer ship built in the Golden Age of Mankind, players arrive on the planet earth to discover civilization and humanity vanished. They will have to rebuild the civilization - exploring, fighting, and competing for resources while searching for clues to the disappearance of humanity.

The game will contain several modes, the basic one will be a single-player game but with player-built locations being synchronized and replicated between clients. That means player can settle in a free location of his choice where he can build and play, and when he goes exploring he'll be able to observe and visit other sites where other players are building their world.

There's going to be also a multiplayer mode for gaming in the existing world.
Sim-connect mode should allow to use Anteworld as an image generator for another simulation program.
In fact, Anteworld is meant to create the basis for an Outerra game/sim platform, allowing to create mods and new game modules that would run on the existing backend.

From the start, Anteworld was never really supposed to be a survival game, but a world scale building game with competitive or cooperative multiplayer.

I see you are on the forums since 2013, you probably bought the game at the same time (2012 myself), so I can understand you may be frustrated, I think everybody is (even if some respond harshly to this kind of question), especially the devs. Fact is, developing from scratch an engine is really hard, making one capable of rendering planets to a high level of precision with real data is even harder.
I think it will be difficult for the team to start working on a full scale game with an engine still in active development. Everything you change in the pipeline may broke several things. It's like starting painting you walls when the roof isn't even built. That's one of the reason why the more active users right now are modders: more limited projects in scale, taking advantage of the existing capabilities.
Everyone would like to see things evolve faster, curious observers who heard about Outerra, Alpha demo supporters, active users, modders and especially the dev team.

I know they don't communicate a lot, but I can tell you (with my limited insight of what is happening inside the box) it's because they are working really, really hard on the engine. Not just in general, working right now.

I'd like to know the answers of those questions not only because i bought the engine, but mostly because i'd really like to see something beautiful get out of it.

As we all do, and it's a very good thing :)

Here is my advice: you can test some creative things the engine allow you to do, for many of us this was a good opportunity to learn how to code, how to create models or do texturing, create scenery. Just looking at the vehicles javascript code and try to understand how things are done is interesting.

If you don't have any interest into modding, my advice would be to try to keep Outerra away from your mind. Not that you should forget it, but waiting will just be frustrating. Content will come out, from modders and from the developers, but rather than wait, just come back in a few month to check all the boards (mods and dev announcement). If Outerra was one of these doomed projects where a dev sell wonders and disappear in the dark, the project would have stalled several years ago. But no, it's just slow, because it's really complex and because a lot of things are involved (small team, commercial partners, state of OGL drivers, Uriah asking for new methods, ...)

Once again, the best solution is to change this frustration into creativity (and we can already do a lot!) or just let things evolve. Life is short, after all, and it's better using our time to do interesting things :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:31:36 pm by Acetone »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 06:46:48 pm »

There are multiple game concepts and types in consideration and some even in the prototyping stage. We aren't very happy that current situation doesn't allow us to fully focus on the game development, because of two main things that consume most of our time. The first and the biggest is the engine development itself, lots of work that needs to go into this type of engine specifically but also in general into any 3D engine before a game can be done on it (only special simulation apps can be done now).
Second is the commercial support we are obliged to provide, since it provides the funding that allows us to continue working on this.

There's an effort underway to launch a separate dev team working on games in parallel and in close cooperation with the core engine team, but we still need to resolve several issues accompanying it, including funding and staffing.

As for what game/sim to go with it, we believe that to fully utilize the potential of the engine, the game will have to be novel as well. That means there will be a lot of prototyping before we can say it's going to be this and that game, a lot of testing what works and what doesn't so much in the world scale we've got. I mentioned a FPS/strategy combination before, but that doesn't entirely go against having a survival element there as well. I think a single style won't be able to cover the whole range of detail there is anyway.

fooff

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 06:43:58 am »

Acetone and Cameni, finally thank you for the complete answers, i feel better now XD So i'll simply wait, i would love to help in some way, but sadly i have no skill in those fields. I'll come back in a few months to see if something moved, so people, please do not attack me again! I'm just asking :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3