Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [Released] Cessna 172A  (Read 35757 times)

FarlanderMiG

Re: [Released] Cessna 172A
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2015, 01:55:44 pm »

Alright. lets stick with right roll like you initially stated then :)

So if i were to do a roll to the right, the right wing would be one with most force? wouldn't it be the left one because it creates lift?

Also let's be clear. is it the initial roll, or is it the turn we are talking about?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:13:09 pm by FarlanderMiG »

bomber

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »

Ok to be real clear let's remove the turn out of the equation and do a barrel roll.... pure unadulterated aileron.

Now it's easy to imagine that the left wing as it rises is generating more lift than the right wing as it drops... I spent years thinking along those lines... afterall that's what the books say... But the books also say that the centre of lift doesn't move, and that's where all the confusion arises because if the point at which the force is acting doesn't move then the only way that a wing can rise IS by increasing the force.

Otherwise you could increase the moment generated by the left wing by simply moving the center of lift outwards whilst keeping the force it's generating the same.... and if you moved the centre of lift outwards enough you could actually reduce the force it's generating and still have more moments of turning than the right wing...

Now Farlander, you've already explained that with a lowering of the aileron the outer wing generates more lift and the inner remains the same, under those circumstances the centre of lift has to move, there can be no confusion here.

ok so I've moved the stick to the right, the lift from the left outerwing increases and the center of lift moves outwards, on the right wing the opposite takes place.... and it's easy to imagine, the left wing has more lift and more moments.

But wait ! AND THEN THE PLANE ROTATES.

Now depending upon the forward speed of the plane, the rate of rotation and the distances along the wing at which you're measuring, and as such the speed that this point is rotating at..... the Angle of Attack changes.. it's a Pythagoras thing.

And get this.. the AoA on the lowering wing increases and decreases on the wing rising...

So now we have a reducing of lift by the left wing, but the lift that is being generated is at the outerwing and as such has a greater moment of turning that the greater lift being generated by the droping wing which is being generated closer to the root...

And that's how the right wing generates more lift than the left, yet still the left produces more moments of turning than the right...

And under those circumstances the right wing having a centre of lift behind the centre of gravity, and due soley to the dihedral creates a Y vector pushing leftwards and which yaws the nose to the right....

phew......

Simon

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:44:05 pm by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »

Thanks for the great explanation Simon! now i understand the theory behind your thinking.

But what really put a load on my brain was that... if the left wing is creating more lift than the outside wing, wouldn't the plane want to level out by itself?

Anyways, i have tested your cessna in outerra a bit further now, and there's something that feels weird about the landings, especially the flare-out. the plane seems to stall out very fast at when i flare out.. even with sufficient speed.. i need to have power on to make the flare and touch down smooth. i don't know what's causing it, or if you already know about the problem... but ill look at it further tomorrow.

Is the download on the first page the most updated btw?

Many thanks again for clarifying!

bomber

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2015, 04:22:51 pm »

No as when it comes to rotating it's the moments that are important, and the left wing always has a greater moment than the right wing...

moment = weight x distance

m = 5lbs x 10ft = 50lbsft
m = 10lbs x 5ft = 50lbsft

a small weight a long way away has the same moment of turning as a large weight very close.

yeh I believe it's up to date.... I've broken mine on my machine, working on float plane variant.

Also I wouldn't worry about those flight models as I've new ones in the making...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:25:30 pm by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

aWac9

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2015, 04:28:34 pm »

I remember reading something about it,, but you will not know if it's in Spanish .. .. sorry.
(download the browser)
https://mega.nz/#!MQpwQYYK!E1lrkXkBXvG0sCK_WeBlDD-c83CGfR8NX4Jbg9TfCUI

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:36:12 pm by aWac9 »

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »

Alright thanks Simon. Cant wait to test the new ones, a seaplane would be nice too ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]