Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: The 8th Generation  (Read 12083 times)

Seth

The 8th Generation
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:25:07 pm »

It's not as far off as many may think.
Sony and MSFT are in for a shock, whats new...

Nintendo has already identified the cause for this paradigm shift in the way we game.

Guessed yet?

Apple Inc!

The Apple Gaming Console (AGC) will blow all other current systems out of the water, that's a given.

What can we expect? Now that would be telling....

All I am allowed to say is to expect technology that you have never seen, heard or even thought of.

Source: Me ;)
I know what it does, not how it does it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
The 8th Generation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:44 am »

Outerra on a console would be like driving a Ferrari FXX on a go-kart track. Do-able but just so much lost Potential.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Cole Walker

The 8th Generation
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:36:47 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Outerra on a console would be like driving a Ferrari FXX on a go-kart track. Do-able but just so much lost Potential.

I couldn't have said that better myself.

Ian

The 8th Generation
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »

I'd personally love to see this engine on next generation systems. It would be great to see Outerra used on all sorts of games and programs. Don't see why it needs to be limited to PC.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire

SpaceFlight

The 8th Generation
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:38:34 am »

Quote from: ignolan
I'd personally love to see this engine on next generation systems. It would be great to see Outerra used on all sorts of games and programs. Don't see why it needs to be limited to PC.

I second that.
I would say make the PC the leading plattform for this and maybe later a version of OT for the next generation of consoles, when they come out. But who knows when that will be and how much computing power they will have.
Right now, PC games are obviously almost always superior to their console counterparts and I guess the PC is the only option for this engine at the moment.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

Edding3000

The 8th Generation
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:00 pm »

I would not focus on consoles at the moment. It may be wise to keep it in the back of your head though. Focussing on porting a game to a console will lead to the fact that you have to make sacrifices on the graphics side. Not wise in my opinion as outerra is leading in graphics on planetary level.

tknudsen

The 8th Generation
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:16:38 pm »

My answer was no, note that I am for marketing and sales, but for personal interest I would rather love to see an flight "simulator" based on this extreemly smooth and genious technology.

SpaceFlight

The 8th Generation
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:57:44 am »

I suppose a next generation console will be revealed on E3 this year, by Nintendo:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/15/rumor-roundup-nintendo-39-s-new-hd-console.aspx

The rumor says hardware wise, it will be similar or better than the current 360 and PS3.
Release date sometime 2012.

I guess PCs will rule with regards to horsepower for the foreseeable future.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
The 8th Generation
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:30:20 pm »

Quote from: SpaceFlight
I guess PCs will rule with regards to horsepower for the foreseeable future.

...and storage, and resolution, and upgrade-ability, and ease of use(mouse), and display options(triplehead)
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SpaceFlight

The 8th Generation
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

Nintendo revealed their next console today at E3 called "Wii U".
No info about the specifications of it untill now but it is going to output 1080p and does not support Blu-Ray.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wii-u/715111

More importantly, the planed software lineup for the "Wii U" looks interesting IMO:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wii-u/715109

If this thing is any good, I might actually buy it. I skipped the 360 and PS3.
Zapp Brannigan