Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pilatus B4-PC11AF  (Read 42173 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Pilatus B4-PC11AF
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 09:03:18 pm »

Different model apparently!
I looked up the company, seems like thy produce(d) b-4's too. Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it and see if they have anything for me :)

We deliver!  =D

Pilatus Pilots manual PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6m8nougbugwdzu/Flight%20Manual%20Pilatus%20B4-PC11.pdf?dl=0

Pilatus Datasheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/183go0t6u2ja9oc/Pilatus%20B4%20Data%20G25eu.pdf?dl=0

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:22:23 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 09:15:41 pm »

Achtung! Cansel the cancelling of the project!

You are great HiFlyer! These pictures are splendid! They got the cross sections too.
It will also carry me through my Norwegian classes tommorow :P

Thanks alot. I'll go through them and set them up tommorow hopefully.

HiFlyer

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 09:24:07 pm »

Achtung! Cansel the cancelling of the project!

You are great HiFlyer! These pictures are splendid! They got the cross sections too.
It will also carry me through my Norwegian classes tommorow :P

Thanks alot. I'll go through them and set them up tommorow hopefully.

My tertiary jobs skills: Can google my butt off.  =D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:54:59 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 06:28:47 pm »

I tought i'd at least give a quick update for you guys... Many thanks to HiFlyer for the reference photoes, and i have saved them for use in the future but for now the project is on hold..

Over on DCS i have got involved in a modding team, and we are building an A-4. I hope i can at a later date convert the model and cockpit over here. Looks promising as i found an open source A-4 JSBSim FM the other day too.

No promises, but would be fun. Maybe even include some weapon models if Uriah wants to experiment with that. For the time being we are at work to get the textures, systems, flight model and other stuff like ordanance working in dcs though.

Here's our plane with animations.

bomber

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 03:59:59 am »

That's a disappointment I was rather looking forward to doing the flight model.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 04:05:23 am »

Yea, just don't have time to do both.. how's the other flight models coming along anyway? Im interested too see changes :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 04:51:09 am »

That's a disappointment I was rather looking forward to doing the flight model.

And I was looking forward to another glider. Maybe one day we will have one with a propellor as well. I've been doing a lot of playing with Andflys Eagle, and it makes me think wistfully of powered gliders.

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 04:59:25 am »

What really needs to be however is some kind of lift. In Outerra, the only thing i would need right now to enjoy gliding would be ridge lift. I don't know how hard this is to implement, but if you get these things right the flying dynamics for all planes will feel much better. The current wind and turbulence is promising at least :)

bomber

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 06:38:54 am »

Ridge lift would be nice.... and I don't think it'd be very difficult for the outerra guys to implement.

For starters ridge lift is very local, where there's a ridge or prominent hill and the wind hits it at a favourable angle then ridge lift is created without fail and at a consistent value that gliding clubs have it well mapped.  Even ground thermals from local  fields are understood by these clubs so they simply raise themselves up on the ridge lift with a bit of boring soaring then cross country to the nearest predictable ground thermal, gain a bit more height and then cross country to the next thermal...

Gliding thermals and ridge lift isn't guess work.

It's my suggestion that we could create a ridge lift add on using C++ that uses a series of 16bit images with lower left hand upper right hand corner lon lat data to visualise the ridge and thermal lift at various heights... you could throw in a noise map for variation.

The point I'd make is which comes first, gliders or ridge lift add on..... if there's no gliders there no point in having the add on.

I think this community has the knowledge and skills to make this happen now..... it's just a matter of coming together or waiting for NGIS to create it.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 08:41:47 am »

Ridge lift would be nice.... and I don't think it'd be very difficult for the outerra guys to implement.

For starters ridge lift is very local, where there's a ridge or prominent hill and the wind hits it at a favourable angle then ridge lift is created without fail and at a consistent value that gliding clubs have it well mapped.  Even ground thermals from local  fields are understood by these clubs so they simply raise themselves up on the ridge lift with a bit of boring soaring then cross country to the nearest predictable ground thermal, gain a bit more height and then cross country to the next thermal...

Gliding thermals and ridge lift isn't guess work.

It's my suggestion that we could create a ridge lift add on using C++ that uses a series of 16bit images with lower left hand upper right hand corner lon lat data to visualise the ridge and thermal lift at various heights... you could throw in a noise map for variation.

The point I'd make is which comes first, gliders or ridge lift add on..... if there's no gliders there no point in having the add on.

I think this community has the knowledge and skills to make this happen now..... it's just a matter of coming together or waiting for NGIS to create it.

I thought Uriah had some interest in this. Which brought up the subject of hitching the glider to a plane, which brought in Langdon's AI.......

Definitely seems like something that would have to be a group effort.

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 08:48:27 am »

Agree.. A solid way to calculate ridgelift from the elevation data would be awesome. And yes, gliding is not guesswork. Thermals are in some ways more complex because to get a real simulation you'd have to take angle of light on the ground, possibly the type of ground it is, the wind making it go upwards at an angle, how much water the air holds (for determinating somewhat of there will be a cumulus cloud generated etc.. But ridge lift should be quite straight forwards.. X-plane only yas ridge lift, so beating their gliding should not be hard. Their flight models for gliders suck too. Written from a phone, excuse any spelling mistakes :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:50:59 am by FarlanderMiG »

bomber

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:38 am »

Any data on actual ridge lift values/locations for an area would be very helpfull in moving this along and creating a club specific area for training.... kinda like a thermal hotspot map

regards

Simon

HiFlyer

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 07:04:40 pm »

Any data on actual ridge lift values/locations for an area would be very helpfull in moving this along and creating a club specific area for training.... kinda like a thermal hotspot map

regards

Simon

Well I found this paper about an interesting technique for simulating ridge lift...... http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forsterlewis/soaring/sim/fsx/dev/sim_probe/sim_probe_paper.html

And this rather colorful but dubiously useful map. http://www.xcmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Paragliding-Map-Of-Annecy-2012.pdf
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:11:13 pm by HiFlyer »

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »

Nice find! Although did it have any affects of changing wind speeds? That "bubble" of lift will change with wind speed. Too little wind, you have to stay close to the ridge of the slope. Too much wind, and the bubble that gets created on top gets stretched way out. With pretty optimal conditions the best lift/hight will be found just a bit aft of the ridgeline. :) something that also needs to be taken into account is that if the ridge is high, does not automaticly mean it's going to have great lift if the wind can travel more "around" it rather than over it..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4