Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: RDT textures  (Read 7247 times)

mikemayday

RDT textures
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:26 am »

Hello, I've found this little bit of gold over here.
What do you guys think? Any possibility of implementing it in Outerra?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: RDT textures
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 12:31:15 pm »

Good find, I was wondering some time ago if someone was making game textures from 3D scans, and these seem to be quite good.

To fully utilize them in OT would require some extra work, as currently terrain compresses computed textures and omits some info that's needed for full material rendering, but we have some ideas how to enhance it for better GPUs.

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:54 pm »

Looks very interesting. Brano, is possible to implement something like the OT and how large the strain on HW will be...now let's say as an experiment?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:13:15 pm by AH-DG »
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

sniperwolfpk5

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:14:23 pm »

I would like to see it in OT asap

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:44 am »

Looks very interesting. Brano, is possible to implement something like the OT and how large the strain on HW will be...now let's say as an experiment?

It's possible, but we need to solve a few technical issues with terrain rendering first. Main problem is that we got some optimizations there to cut down the GPU memory consumption for terrain, as it takes a large part of the available memory space. Using more detailed ground textures with multiple additional channels in current setup would cause serious memory and perf issues. We need to do a few tests to verify a new scheme that could allow us enabling these high quality textures on more powerful GPUs.

Also, we have to process the textures into a special format that allows them to be recolorized from biome color data, and I'm not sure how the overall quality will be affected by that. Additionally, while these textures look great, there may be a tiling issue when they are applied over large terrains in OT, and not all of them are going to be usable.

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:30:33 am »

Thank you for your answer, Brano. ;)
I have however still a question. What do you appreciate how long they need
to be completely finished with the biomes, and you will still have to revise the
clouds because so "unlovely edge" they have at the moment?
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

M7

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:12:19 pm »

There's also the megascans from quixel which should be 2X2 meters scans  http://quixel.se/megascansintro  it should be available in 6months

As for the tiling effect, would it make sense to use at least two textures and mask them the same way as dirt and grass, so to not have a too big surface with one tiling texture?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »

What do you appreciate how long they need to be completely finished with the biomes, and you will still have to revise the clouds because so "unlovely edge" they have at the moment?

I don't think anything in OT will ever be finished. It's in perpetual state of planning to be enhanced :)

As for the tiling effect, would it make sense to use at least two textures and mask them the same way as dirt and grass, so to not have a too big surface with one tiling texture?

It doesn't work, tiling patterns from individual textures eventually show up however you fractal mix them as a pattern superposition. It was one of the things I tried way back. We ended up combining several things, from applying an adaptive low-pass filter to texture mip-maps so that the disruptive low frequency patterns vanish with distance and angle, to adding multi-resolution fractal modulation.

M7

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 06:55:40 pm »

That sounds like  a nice trick to edit the mipmap. I wish i could make sense of  multi-resolution fractal modulation  :)