Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Titan I/ITSEC 2015  (Read 25406 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Titan I/ITSEC 2015
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:40:13 pm »

New video made for I/ITSEC posted by Titan CEO David Lagettie

HiFlyer

Re: Titan I/ITSEC 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:53:45 pm »

Very very nice!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »

Destructible vehicles! Rain! Cities! ... Great!!!  :D
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »

Really nice work :)
The cities at the end of the video are giving a new definition to the word "scale" :D
The grey buildings are generated using the OSM data, right?

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:57:47 pm »

Just. Awesome.
Glad to hear some news after such a long period of silence.
I'm wondering, is the technique of global road and cities generation licensed for/by Titan exclusively or are we, Outerra users, gonna have a chance to try out these features anytime soon?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:18:23 pm by DenisJ »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:58:39 pm »

Hitboxes and ambient life ! :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

zombie00

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 07:11:43 pm »

New video made for I/ITSEC posted by Titan CEO David Lagettie

I'm not sure my body can take all this hype!
Bloody fantastic. Still a way to go for something "playable" and yes, I know that's not necessarily the scope of Titan, but still, very impressive. Just to be sure, this guys will be working on a game ala ARMA too, right? Because if they have the exclusive use of Outerra as a military simulator and they don't make a game out of this a potential joint-operation game on Outerra could see a complicated start-off doesn't it? Not to mention they would be missing on some money, if ARMA has thought us anything is: Throw some zombies on it and people will buy it like hot bread There is market for complex military simulators on the PC gaming community.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and for all the work, things were indeed rather quiet as of late.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:31:09 pm by zombie00 »

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 03:48:07 am »

Well, there's certainly a lot of cool stuff in this video. If even 10% of it makes it into Outerra by June, I'll be satisfied.

Now, quick question: Near the start of the video, one of the soldiers enters a building. Is that purely demonstrative, or is there a more complex (non-convex) collision system in play here?

konaone

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 06:35:12 am »

Sorry, maybe I already widely talked and I gave it a miss.
Outerra use? and you will be sold or not?

zombie00

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:54 am »

Sorry, maybe I already widely talked and I gave it a miss.
Outerra use? and you will be sold or not?

Yes, Titan runs on Outerra engine and for what I understand part of the development is being done along with the Outerra team.
I'm not sure if they are going to sell it to civilians, the main goal of Titan is military use (like VBS simulator). I hope they will go the same route as they did with VBS and end up developing/co-developing a sim-like game for general consumers (like the ARMA series).

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 10:28:19 am »

look very nice...

"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 06:53:45 am »

The grey buildings are generated using the OSM data, right?

Presumably, though Titan may be using also some other sources.

I'm wondering, is the technique of global road and cities generation licensed for/by Titan exclusively or are we, Outerra users, gonna have a chance to try out these features anytime soon?

It's not exclusive to Titan. We imported the roads from OSM for them, and are currently working on enhancing and cleaning it up before we can release a preview of them in OT. For Titan the original test was about how the engine will handle a global road network, because in some other engines the amount of roads greatly affects the performance.
However, the alpha import didn't implement road connecting and fixing OSM errors in any way, so their demos (beyond the performance one) had to do lots of manual corrections, or selected camera views.

Cities were imported by Titan from OSM, creating instance data. We are working on our own import process that will also handle the LODs and can be later extended by a procedural building generator or at least a procedural run-time matching of building collections to imported base building info from OSM, instead of relying on hard-wired model matching during the import.

Just to be sure, this guys will be working on a game ala ARMA too, right? Because if they have the exclusive use of Outerra as a military simulator and they don't make a game out of this a potential joint-operation game on Outerra could see a complicated start-off doesn't it? Not to mention they would be missing on some money, if ARMA has thought us anything is: Throw some zombies on it and people will buy it like hot bread There is market for complex military simulators on the PC gaming community.

I can't comment on their plans, but yes it would be a logical step.
Note that they do not have exclusivity for military simulators, just for the use of OT in software for the military user. A consumer military game/sim can be made by someone else as well.

Near the start of the video, one of the soldiers enters a building. Is that purely demonstrative, or is there a more complex (non-convex) collision system in play here?

I think one of the Titan partners, Intelligent Decisions, wants to use it for their soldier simulation program where complex interaction is required. It's already possible to create compound collision shapes for objects in OT.

zombie00

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 04:29:17 pm »

I can't comment on their plans, but yes it would be a logical step.
Note that they do not have exclusivity for military simulators, just for the use of OT in software for the military user. A consumer military game/sim can be made by someone else as well.

Oh, I thought it was for any military-ish project regardless of it being used by actual forces or just for civilian use. Good to hear, still, strictly from a business point of view, If I was a dev I wouldn't jump into a TITANIC (no pun intended) project to make my own military simulator game with all the work that implies when some professional simulator has everything pre-cooked and ready to jump into my niche market. I really hope you're right and they go for it, ARMA isn't a good game form a technical point of view and they could easily take away their market with the right approach.

Also, I thought the OSM database was a no go, good to see you guys are working on it. Maybe I missed this part too, but anything on train rails? Any data base that could be used for that?
Having a functional train infrastructure could make for a fun gameplay element on future games.

Grind and Click

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 11:27:06 am »

Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

Been hoping for an MMO mil-sim type game from this since the beginning. Imagine using the Star Citizen model, where you buy say an Aircraft Carrier for 100 - $200 or abouts, or purchase a base somewhere and launch global missions against other players from vehicles purchased separately just like DCS World, fighting over resources or something. 

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 04:39:55 am »

Also, I thought the OSM database was a no go, good to see you guys are working on it. Maybe I missed this part too, but anything on train rails? Any data base that could be used for that?
Having a functional train infrastructure could make for a fun gameplay element on future games.

OSM is indeed quite problematic because of many issues and classification versions contained within it, but Pasto is fighting the dragon using some auxiliary data, or simply skipping parts that aren't usable.

There are also rails recorded, and they should be usable to the same degree as the roads.
Pages: [1] 2