Outerra Engine > News

Titan I/ITSEC 2015

<< < (3/5) > >>

Revolver:
look very nice...

cameni:

--- Quote from: Acetone on December 02, 2015, 04:02:43 pm ---The grey buildings are generated using the OSM data, right?

--- End quote ---

Presumably, though Titan may be using also some other sources.

--- Quote from: DenisJ on December 02, 2015, 04:57:47 pm ---I'm wondering, is the technique of global road and cities generation licensed for/by Titan exclusively or are we, Outerra users, gonna have a chance to try out these features anytime soon?

--- End quote ---

It's not exclusive to Titan. We imported the roads from OSM for them, and are currently working on enhancing and cleaning it up before we can release a preview of them in OT. For Titan the original test was about how the engine will handle a global road network, because in some other engines the amount of roads greatly affects the performance.
However, the alpha import didn't implement road connecting and fixing OSM errors in any way, so their demos (beyond the performance one) had to do lots of manual corrections, or selected camera views.

Cities were imported by Titan from OSM, creating instance data. We are working on our own import process that will also handle the LODs and can be later extended by a procedural building generator or at least a procedural run-time matching of building collections to imported base building info from OSM, instead of relying on hard-wired model matching during the import.

--- Quote from: zombie00 on December 02, 2015, 07:11:43 pm ---Just to be sure, this guys will be working on a game ala ARMA too, right? Because if they have the exclusive use of Outerra as a military simulator and they don't make a game out of this a potential joint-operation game on Outerra could see a complicated start-off doesn't it? Not to mention they would be missing on some money, if ARMA has thought us anything is: Throw some zombies on it and people will buy it like hot bread There is market for complex military simulators on the PC gaming community.
--- End quote ---

I can't comment on their plans, but yes it would be a logical step.
Note that they do not have exclusivity for military simulators, just for the use of OT in software for the military user. A consumer military game/sim can be made by someone else as well.

--- Quote from: Occams Razer on December 03, 2015, 03:48:07 am ---Near the start of the video, one of the soldiers enters a building. Is that purely demonstrative, or is there a more complex (non-convex) collision system in play here?

--- End quote ---

I think one of the Titan partners, Intelligent Decisions, wants to use it for their soldier simulation program where complex interaction is required. It's already possible to create compound collision shapes for objects in OT.

zombie00:

--- Quote from: cameni on December 04, 2015, 06:53:45 am ---I can't comment on their plans, but yes it would be a logical step.
Note that they do not have exclusivity for military simulators, just for the use of OT in software for the military user. A consumer military game/sim can be made by someone else as well.

--- End quote ---

Oh, I thought it was for any military-ish project regardless of it being used by actual forces or just for civilian use. Good to hear, still, strictly from a business point of view, If I was a dev I wouldn't jump into a TITANIC (no pun intended) project to make my own military simulator game with all the work that implies when some professional simulator has everything pre-cooked and ready to jump into my niche market. I really hope you're right and they go for it, ARMA isn't a good game form a technical point of view and they could easily take away their market with the right approach.

Also, I thought the OSM database was a no go, good to see you guys are working on it. Maybe I missed this part too, but anything on train rails? Any data base that could be used for that?
Having a functional train infrastructure could make for a fun gameplay element on future games.

Grind and Click:
Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

Been hoping for an MMO mil-sim type game from this since the beginning. Imagine using the Star Citizen model, where you buy say an Aircraft Carrier for 100 - $200 or abouts, or purchase a base somewhere and launch global missions against other players from vehicles purchased separately just like DCS World, fighting over resources or something. 

cameni:

--- Quote from: zombie00 on December 04, 2015, 04:29:17 pm ---Also, I thought the OSM database was a no go, good to see you guys are working on it. Maybe I missed this part too, but anything on train rails? Any data base that could be used for that?
Having a functional train infrastructure could make for a fun gameplay element on future games.

--- End quote ---

OSM is indeed quite problematic because of many issues and classification versions contained within it, but Pasto is fighting the dragon using some auxiliary data, or simply skipping parts that aren't usable.

There are also rails recorded, and they should be usable to the same degree as the roads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version