Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 3D Trees WIP  (Read 48660 times)

angrypig

3D Trees WIP
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:44:16 am »

Partially integrated 3D trees into our terrain rendering pipeline. There are no variations in trees yet  and a few other things that will make it looking better.

Currently our old billboards are replaced by 3D trees if they are closer than 250 meters.

At the moment 3D trees are using 5 LODs where the first one has 81600 faces and the last one has 660 triangles. Trees are already placed on correct positions, aligned with the billboards.

TankBo

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:18 am »

Looks fantastic. Am I right that shadows are already applied? (at least proper lighting)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
3D Trees WIP
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 05:25:10 am »

Quote from: TankBo
Looks fantastic. Am I right that shadows are already applied? (at least proper lighting)
Actually no, what you see is an approximate ambient light computed for forests, that is applied to the trees and ground to simulate the reduction of light in woods. Shadows will be applied atop of it

sniperwolfpk5

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:41:35 am »

The trees looks very nice, but when i click on image for zooming it open another image http://www.outerra.com/shots/slant1.jpg  :P

Can you upload more 3d tree images?

u3z05en

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:41:53 am »

I'm going to keep it surfacey and say that forest  screenshot is abso-frickin-lootly awesome!!! Thanks for making my day with that. :)

angrypig

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:43:35 am »

Quote from: sniperwolfpk5
The trees looks very nice, but when i click on image for zooming it open another image

Solved :)

sniperwolfpk5

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:46:16 am »

lol You fix it with the speed of light

TankBo

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:53:10 am »

Quote from: cameni
Actually no, what you see is an approximate ambient light computed for forests, that is applied to the trees and ground to simulate the reduction of light in woods. Shadows will be applied atop of it
That was quite what I meant, bad wording of mine. ;) Thanks for the hint, it already looks quite good. Do you plan something for sun effects, i.e. the sun shining through the crowns like that:

Also would you mind showing a screenshot next to a forest (e.g. left part of view covered by trees, right part open view into the far)? Just wondering how neat that looked.

angrypig

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:18:14 am »

would you mind showing a screenshot next to a forest (e.g. left part of view covered by trees, right part open view into the far)? Just wondering how neat that looked.

There will be more in a few days. This one was quite nice in current stage so I wanted to share it with you, because there was no update about trees for some time.

PeterBitt

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 07:06:35 am »

looking nice so far, are those trees still wip?
i think the leaves could use some color variations, its a little monotone green now.
but maybe the shadows will solve this.

angrypig

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 07:28:31 am »

Quote from: PeterBitt
looking nice so far, are those trees still wip?
i think the leaves could use some color variations, its a little monotone green now.
but maybe the shadows will solve this.

Everything about trees is work in progress.

monks

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 08:17:49 am »

Awesome guys!!  :cool: It's gonna be so cool to get lost in those...

monks

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
3D Trees WIP
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 08:24:24 am »

It looks quite good. But 81600 polys per tree will kill most computers. Even if there is lod. How long did it take the engine to stop shuddering enough for you to take that pic? lol.. :) The most you need per tree is around 3k to 5k poly. And use lod.

If yall are in bad need of trees I can point you to a site where you can get some great trees with lod levels that look just as good as that. And very low poly.

http://www.dexsoft-games.com/models/vegetation.html

http://shop.pure3d.de/

Also pure3D pine trees. which I have and they look great in my own game.
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

Blockaderunner

3D Trees WIP
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37:37 am »

Where are my rails, huh? If I have no rails, I won't need the trees 'round them.  :|

BTW: nice shot :D
Core: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition / Motherboard: Asus M4A78E /
Graphics: ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX260 / RAM: DDR2 Kingston HyperX 2 x 2Gb [1066Mhz] /
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
3D Trees WIP
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:15 am »

Quote from: AKNightHawk
It looks quite good. But 81600 polys per tree will kill most computers. Even if there is lod. How long did it take the engine to stop shuddering enough for you to take that pic? lol.. :) The most you need per tree is around 3k to 5k poly. And use lod.
It uses LOD.
81600 triangles are for the most detailed trees.
It renders 755 3D trees with varying level of detail in 3.66ms (on GTX 460).
Trees are coming from procedural tree generator that can produce all LODs and integrates well with the way of rendering distant forests.

If you think your computer shudders from rendering that, you can still reduce the quality, and it will use less, it won't have detailed branches, and all. You probably don't need the detail when you stare from a high seat in a mech thingy, but you don't have to use it, do you? But when you fall off the thing and end up hanging on a tree branch, you'll be able to appreciate the detail.

And the noises of leaves rustling in the wind, chirping of the birds ... and rusting of the metal :D
Pages: [1] 2 3