Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BISim at I/ITSEC 2015: See the Next Generation VBS Framework  (Read 10632 times)

HiFlyer

BISim at I/ITSEC 2015: See the Next Generation VBS Framework
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:29:42 pm »

Looks a lot like Outerra..............  ??? =| :P

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

Re: BISim at I/ITSEC 2015: See the Next Generation VBS Framework
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:48:25 pm »

Outerra looks a little better though.  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:12:06 am »

Yeah,  I would agree with Jager. This platform misses lots of detail that Outerra already possesses. OSM stuff would be nice to have though.

ddenn

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:47:32 am »

Very interesting how it will affect Titan project, looks like their direct competitor. And it seems their  initial idea of planet-size rendering engine indeed had come from Outerra and Titan. Also looking at the video I think they use directX, probably for compatibility with stuff from old VBS programs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:32:06 am by ddenn »
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

aWac9

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:23:17 am »

unless an industrial spy steal the source code outerra, Bohemia is light years outerra,,,, they have seen the wolf ears and realize that someone is taking part of cake (military) ♦♦♦ 8) ♦♦♦

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:38:04 am »

unless an industrial spy steal the source code outerra, Bohemia is light years outerra,,,, they have seen the wolf ears and realize that someone is taking part of cake (military) ♦♦♦ 8) ♦♦♦

... not sure, but most of the better terrain quality shots seemed from limited area spaces (some world edges to be seen). Question is, how far are they in usabilit - i mean, if its still arma based and has all the moding/scriptst, than theyre pretty cose to do some finished products for it ... OT will still linger for a decade till its baddasseness kicks the market hard.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:21:28 am »

... not sure, but most of the better terrain quality shots seemed from limited area spaces (some world edges to be seen). Question is, how far are they in usabilit - i mean, if its still arma based and has all the moding/scriptst, than theyre pretty cose to do some finished products for it ... OT will still linger for a decade till its baddasseness kicks the market hard.

Changing a framework to a complete different type of content/scale can be extremely dangerous, especially after year of platform expansion. It's called marketing driven development, and I can't think of a single example where it ends well. What I see in this video is something that looks strangely off. Almost no lightning, only a few buildings and a really strange decision: using terrain photography for the ground (when you are using ground units, I don't see that as a good decision).

I don't know, it's just... strange.

zombie00

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:21 pm »

From a graphical fidelity point of view, it looks like something between google earth and Outerra. The trees are nicer for obvious reasons, but the rest looks rather meh.
Bohemia has a track record of poor optimization and issues making use of the hardware, mostly the CPU, so I real can't be all that exited about this.
It is good to know there is some competition for what Outerra is trying to achieve, don't get me wrong, I'm still rooting for Outerra, but competition is always welcomed, it's what pushes people to try harder.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:11:49 pm by zombie00 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:19:25 pm »

Outerra looks a little better though.  :P

A little?  :)
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

M7

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »

Objects, trees and terrain don't cast shadow. It's quite surprising for a new generation game engine.

ddenn

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 12:23:17 am »

It looks more like Outerra 7 years ago

But given that Bohemia is not just a few enthusiasts I think they could catch up with OT team soon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:31:20 am by ddenn »
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 01:48:44 am »

The trees are nicer for obvious reasons

Those trees are also 2d... I really think trees textures in OT looks better...
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

aWac9

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 04:41:42 am »

ohh! ddenn wonderful (great relic), are images to outerra history,
I had many old videos of outerra, but I lost when my hard drive died, it was a shame,,, but I kept a few pieces then did a short video,,
this is the earliest that stuck me outerra,
year 2012

HiFlyer

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 12:00:51 pm »

But given that Bohemia is not just a few enthusiasts I think they could catch up with OT team soon.

Like I said in a recent thread (and have said before) I'm rooting for Outerra, while keeping in mind that there's a definite finite window of opportunity for these types of things.

https://bisimulations.com/content/fri-11202015-1008/building-vbs-blue-conversation-bisim%E2%80%99s-chief-technical-officer

Mark: In mid-2014, we identified the need for a whole-earth terrain representation in VBS. While we extended the possible size of VBS3 terrains to over a million square kilometers and introduced technologies like biotopes to procedurally populate the terrain with vegetation, we were still limited by a flat earth model. So we took a step back and designed a new representation from the ground up, with future-proofing and modularity in mind.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... I wonder what they saw that suddenly lit a fire under their butts?  ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:17:52 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

zombie00

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 04:44:34 pm »

The trees are nicer for obvious reasons

Those trees are also 2d... I really think trees textures in OT looks better...

You sure? It looked like a 3D tree with 2D leaves and branches to me. I obviously could be wrong.
Pages: [1] 2