Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Riva Tuner Statistic Server/MSI Afterburner cause crazy bugs  (Read 8147 times)

Planets

Riva Tuner Statistic Server/MSI Afterburner cause crazy bugs
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:11:12 pm »

I just wanted to share this info I found out just now after not playing the game for awhile and starting it up and immediately getting crazy graphical glitches, I never experienced these in game before and I couldn't figure out what they were, they weren't the driver issue that was going around earlier because I have an AMD card.

I only recently downloaded MSI Afterburner and the Riva tuner hook with it needed to display FPS and temps/resource usage on OSD and I remembered the last time Outerra worked normally was before I had those programs installed and running so I quit MSI Afterburner and I quit RTSS.exe process since its set to execute on startup and then tried Outerra and all the graphical bugs were gone.

I can't believe even just running RTSS alone was able to cause this, also the OSD never showed up ingame either. I'm fine with playing without both since I have Steam's FPS counter in the overlay anyways, but man that was some trippy experience I thought my videocard had shit itself.

And after quitting Msi afterburner and RTSS.exe in processes-

Jagerbomber

Re: Riva Tuner Statistic Server/MSI Afterburner cause crazy bugs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:01:18 am »

Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but hasn't Rivatuner not been updated in like... 7 years?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:54 am »

These overlays were breaking OT since beginning. They hook onto the wglSwapBuffers call and inject their own code, however being written for old OpenGL they do not work and somehow they manage to corrupt the contexts too.

We blocked them from attaching a long time ago though, so this must be a new attack vector in one of them, or the combination?

Planets

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »

We blocked them from attaching a long time ago though, so this must be a new attack vector in one of them, or the combination?

I'm not sure, I was running Riva Tuner alone for the first screenshot, and then the other two had MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner both running after I suspected the programs. I didn't suspect RTSS right away because I was playing GTAV with it and MSI Afterburner earlier and with no problems so I had no idea it could do this.