Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 64 Bit Outerra  (Read 23388 times)

Allan Davidson

Re: 64 Bit Outerra
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:54 am »

If Outerra/Anteworld, somehow, have some differents caracterists (like a worse physx, less terrain details), could the Server situation be more viable in reality? Or, no matter what, it will aways be as hard as you said?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:26:37 am »

One can always do some tricks, reducing the parameters and such, but as long as there is supposed to be the whole planet replica accessible at the ground-level detail, it will be always more complicated than conventional games with a limited area (levels). Just as the rendering of the whole world at this detail, the other aspects here require some non-conventional approaches as well.

For example, the servers would have to have a powerful GPU with lots of on-GPU memory.

Allan Davidson

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 10:25:10 am »

I tought it would be just like a dedicated server for games like GTA IV or Minecraft, but with just some more HDD and RAM.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 01:01:45 pm »

I always imagined a different physics/render instance for every 40x40 mile square. There really isn't a need for Australia to have it's physics events waiting and ready if I am farming in Nebraska. The key would be activating those chunks and how well the chunks could hold 200 players should a city arise.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Allan Davidson

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »

Maybe the development way for a dedicated server would be totally different from the way of a single user situation. Maybe they'll have to undone a LOT of thing in order to make that work different.  :(

Moonkey

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:37 pm »

I always imagined a different physics/render instance for every 40x40 mile square. There really isn't a need for Australia to have it's physics events waiting and ready if I am farming in Nebraska. The key would be activating those chunks and how well the chunks could hold 200 players should a city arise.
The problem is what if there were people in Australia and in Nebraska. Both sides would have to render on the server using lots of resources. Though, if you wanted to play a game in a restricted area, servers could set boundaries for out-of-bounds areas. So instead of loading the whole world and people being all over it, you could set it to say... Alaska only or something.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 10:32:56 pm »

The problem is what if there were people in Australia and in Nebraska. Both sides would have to render on the server using lots of resources. Though, if you wanted to play a game in a restricted area, servers could set boundaries for out-of-bounds areas. So instead of loading the whole world and people being all over it, you could set it to say... Alaska only or something.

Well I don't see the same physical server setup a counterstrike or garrysmod or Arma2 server would use. There will need to be a CLUSTER of servers.. Hundreds of individual servers in the cluster each responsible for a set area based on population. 5000 people in a city.. 50 servers dedicated to that area.. Nebraska, Oklahoma and the entire mid-west with 60 players.. One server. And the crazy coding it will take to do that...  One cluster per simulation instance or per continent..

Cameni and AngryPig GO!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Moonkey

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:28 am »

Well I don't see the same physical server setup a counterstrike or garrysmod or Arma2 server would use. There will need to be a CLUSTER of servers.. Hundreds of individual servers in the cluster each responsible for a set area based on population. 5000 people in a city.. 50 servers dedicated to that area.. Nebraska, Oklahoma and the entire mid-west with 60 players.. One server. And the crazy coding it will take to do that...  One cluster per simulation instance or per continent..

Cameni and AngryPig GO!
Planet-side 2 is also able to hold a large amount of players (2000 players max per server (half full most of the time))

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:39:56 am »

Planet-side 2 is also able to hold a large amount of players (2000 players max per server (half full most of the time))

Not sure how their server hardware is setup.. The view distance is low enough that players 500 meters apart could all be on difference instances or boxes completely.. Only when 300 players are all attacking the same installation would several servers need to combine or communicate positional information rapidly.. Would love to know the technical specs of those PS2 server farms

Moonkey

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »

Not sure how their server hardware is setup.. The view distance is low enough that players 500 meters apart could all be on difference instances or boxes completely.. Only when 300 players are all attacking the same installation would several servers need to combine or communicate positional information rapidly.. Would love to know the technical specs of those PS2 server farms
Hehe. The flaw in combining servers is that it would loop. If one server had to help another, THAT server would need help too. And have a domino effect. Though, a nearly empty/not very active server helping another server is possible without such effect.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:32:47 pm »

How is this even remotely related to a 64 bit version of Outerra?

HiFlyer

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 06:24:10 am »

I know that in traditional Flight sims, (and maybe some other types of programs/games) switching to 64 bits can cause issues with pre-existing content. I wonder if Outerra will face those types of issues?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 08:41:28 am »

There should not be any, our content formats aren't storing any platform size specific data types (AFAIK).

HiFlyer

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 09:48:31 am »

There should not be any, our content formats aren't storing any platform size specific data types (AFAIK).

Good, I suspected not, but wasn't sure.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro
Pages: 1 [2]