Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra on a Steam Controller  (Read 3127 times)

Spacedog

Outerra on a Steam Controller
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »

I recently bought a Steam Controller and thought Outerra would be the perfect place to test out all of it's functions, but unfortunately things are not going to plan.

To get access to controller configuration during the game you must add outerra (or any non-steam) game to your steam library and launch it in Big Picture mode. I did this and it launches the game fine, but when I look at the controller setup page in Outerra it says "No controllers detected". I can access Steam's controller setup but only button presses and mouse input do anything in game, none of the analogue axis work at all.

It worked perfectly well using my sidewinder joystick and even my PS3 controller emulated as an xbox controller. As I understand it the reason may be that joysitcks tend to be detected as xinput, but the steam controller is seen by windows as a HID. Is there a workaround for this kind of thing?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:05:04 pm by Spacedog »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Outerra on a Steam Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:35 am »

Joysticks in OT are using HID, not xinput. No idea why it would not see a valid HID device .. perhaps it's something non-standard.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10:15 am »

(like touchpads)  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Spacedog

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:35:29 am »

I think maybe I meant DirectInput and not xinput? There is a discussion on reddit that may be relevant here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/418gho/discussion_is_there_any_way_to_have_the_steam/

caterhamandcheese

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 08:18:58 pm »

I am also interested in using the steam controller, especially the gyro functions. Would make an awesome controller for the flight sim portion of the sim.

Do you guys have a steam controller to use for development? I would be willing to let you borrow it, if it would help integrate it in outerra!

-Doug