Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Question about 3D modeling help.  (Read 7156 times)

Pougatchev

Question about 3D modeling help.
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:43:09 pm »

Hi all!

So...

Is outerra interesting by 3D model from people who are not in the outerra team?

Do you need an help in a domain? (for example: cars, planes, buildings, humans...)

I have do some 3D model for video games (buildings for fighter ops, HD pilot for lock on FC2..., some planes for personnal use...)

Thank's for the great work your are doing, i read this forum since few weeks and i can see great ideas and improvment during the time!

Pouga

PS: Sorry for my bad english, i'm french ^^ I talk it better than i write it xD

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:30 am »

Hi
We expect that the demo game will fully open the possibilities of importing models and defining vehicles for Outerra.
But in the meanwhile we could use some models to test the importer and to be pressed to design a vehicle configurator. The importer has got some limitations because of the internal architecture (for performance reasons) and because of the COLLADA library used, that will have to be replaced eventually.

If you are interested to see how some of your models look in Outerra, we can try to import it and test. For aircraft it would be handy if there was also a corresponding JSBSim model for it, for the ground vehicles we'll just set some parameters initially.

Spudly

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:03:22 am »

Quote from: cameni
If you are interested to see how some of your models look in Outerra, we can try to import it and test. For aircraft it would be handy if there was also a corresponding JSBSim model for it, for the ground vehicles we'll just set some parameters initially.

This would be interesting to do... how detailed of a model can it be?

Also, can you just create profiles using something like this?  Or use the higher quality versions(I assume) found here?  Though I didn't see any helicopter models...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:03:30 am »

Quote from: Spudly
This would be interesting to do... how detailed of a model can it be?
I'd say however detailed you want it to be ... when it's primarily about testing the import. For models that could be used in a game there will be limitations for performance reasons. We cannot simply tell a maximum number of triangles to be used, as it depends on many factors: how frequently the model can appear in the scene, the quality of LODs and geometry batching and so on.

But let's say for vehicles 20-50k.

There's a problem with our existing importer, or specifically with the library used - it has been obsoleted and it doesn't support some things. For example it won't import multiple uv channels, complicating matters a bit. We will be swapping the library soon and lifting some restrictions there.

Also, can you just create profiles using something like this?  Or use the higher quality versions(I assume) found here?  Though I didn't see any helicopter models...
I guess so .. we used the existing models too.
Helicopters are a relatively new addition to JSBSim, I think we are actually using ah1s model for Apache.

Pougatchev

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:25 am »

Nice to heard that :)

I work a lot in 3DS max so I need to optimized some of my models, and learn a little about JSBSIM, when all of that was do, I send you some files for test in Outerra in collada and with the appropriate JSBSIM file :)