Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra webpage concept/mockup - FEEDBACK?  (Read 3637 times)

peterkrull

• Technology nerd
Outerra webpage concept/mockup - FEEDBACK?
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:14:04 pm »

Before you get your hopes up; I'm not a developer or designer associated with the Outerra project in any way. I'm simply just a student who likes to take some things in his own hands.

What do you think?

I know a pretty webpage wont exactly improve the game/engine, but having a nice and welcoming face can really help sell; and to be honest, I find the current front page to be kinda bleh looking. I find it kinda frustrating that with the current webpage, you cannot hover over (or click on) the little screenshots to get a look at the full resolution one. I'd really like if it was possible to expand the image to really be able to appreciate the true beauty that is this engine.

I tried to de-clutter the page as much as possible, without removing anything important. Some of you might miss the webm video on the front page. I also really like how it give an idea of scale. It just does not look good.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: Outerra webpage concept/mockup - FEEDBACK?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »

Hi Peter!

Honestly, I really like it! :D Like... a lot! Very clean and refined. Nice job!

My first question is, what is your intent with this? Are you offering for Outerra to use it? I would agree with you, the current webpage does seem a little outdated, and a "face lift" might be really nice.

Secondly, what framework, if any, did you use? Or is this a static mockup?

A couple points of feedback. It would be good to include the Outerra logomark somewhere in the banner, maybe semi-transparent over the background image, or in blue next to the Outerra Anteworld text.

Also, would it be possible to make the thumbnail bar a scrolling image slider, possibly with left/right slider navigation, and hover-over for the full size image?

Regards,
Uriah

peterkrull

• Technology nerd
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »

Hi Peter!

Honestly, I really like it! :D Like... a lot! Very clean and refined. Nice job!

My first question is, what is your intent with this? Are you offering for Outerra to use it? I would agree with you, the current webpage does seem a little outdated, and a "face lift" might be really nice.

Secondly, what framework, if any, did you use? Or is this a static mockup?

A couple points of feedback. It would be good to include the Outerra logomark somewhere in the banner, maybe semi-transparent over the background image, or in blue next to the Outerra Anteworld text.

Also, would it be possible to make the thumbnail bar a scrolling image slider, possibly with left/right slider navigation, and hover-over for the full size image?

Regards,
Uriah

Hi Uriah, thanks.

No real intent. The jawdropping scenery in the game just inspired me to see what I could do with the webpage. I have done some similarly free graphics projects for some threads over at xda.developers. The Outerra guys can do whatever they like with this, I need no credit. :D

Well, it is made in Photoshop, because that is what I'm familiar with. Eventhough its not really designed for this kind of work.

It's currently 4 AM where I live, so I better look at this some other time. Thanks for the input though!  :))
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:26:37 pm by peterkrull »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 04:44:23 am »

Nice concept :)

Roboto thin? Seems so. It works well with the header, but should probably be avoided for normal text because of rendering problems on some type of displays (not the font, the thin version). Would probably be nice to use an other font for the plain text, even a serif one but I'm not sure if it works well in the case of Outerra.

Bullet items lists don't work well when not in a text, they looks like a "in your face" argument. You could simply use a paragraph, left centered, with this text from example :)

I guess your idea was a parallax scrolling website, right? It's a good idea but I often find these using too much the concept resulting in a website so much focused on the design it forgets the content, and even sometimes so overloaded it can trigger vestibular disorders. Titan website is a good case for that, the idea was interesting, but they tried to keep the video visible between each text block section and the result is... disorienting...

Anyway, in this case it can work well if only the menu bar (about | features...) is kept visible when the users scrolls down. I would even suggest a different color for the "tech demo" text, in order to make the download page more obvious :)

CaptTrego

• Target 4 Today!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:12:24 pm »

Don't look too bad!  Simple and informative is always a good thing...   8)
"Will it ever fly...??"

<CaptTrego!>