Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: River Terrain issue thread.  (Read 4255 times)

HiFlyer

River Terrain issue thread.
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:38:04 pm »

With the new global rivers Outerra has reached a new level of realism. Nothings perfect, however and here and there people are going to find glitches, mostly to do with faulty OSM data.

For myself, when I see anything particularly weird, I'm going to mention it here, in case the dev's want to take a look.

I've already mentioned the hudson river near new york.

My second mention is at the location of the Hoover Dam, where Outerra seems to be trying to place two separate rivers with different elevations in the same spot. Also some major terrain deformation at the dam itself.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Re: River Terrain issue thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:04:18 pm »

My second mention is at the location of the Hoover Dam, where Outerra seems to be trying to place two separate rivers with different elevations in the same spot. Also some major terrain deformation at the dam itself.

Mmmhh there seems to be what could be a mess for the importer. They have lead the river to the intakes and they have drawn all the exits to the lower stream. I don't tink we should alter this much, because could make sense for the one who did it... I think this problematic areas should be fixed manually inside OT at some point and kept in the cache which, as far as I know, have priority over the main data.

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »

The place is just as big a mess in default X-plane 10. I tried to place a model of the hoover dam I found online there (in x-plane) but it was just an exercise in frustration.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

StrakanXJ

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:18:54 pm »

Im sure there are many issues regarding rivers and lakes but as the first post mentioned keeping a tally of them I thought I would add my list (I'll edit this list in the future to keep things neat). Ought I write whats wrong with each of them?

Niagara Falls - The rivers dont meet up, the higher elevation river seems to be cut off at either end.
Loch Ness - The river is there (probably an issue with all rivers but it doesnt meet with the sea very well) but the Loch is sadly not.
The Amazon/Negro Rivers - They look awesome but at the same time, the water types do not mix so there are major visible differences from shoreline to middle of river. Not well mapped either, at least not in line with 'G' map.

Pics on request, I dont want to flood the topic.