Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flock of birds  (Read 22944 times)

bomber

Re: Flock of birds
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 05:54:07 am »

"Emergent behavior" as defined thus...

Emergent behavior is behavior of a system that does not depend on its individual parts, but on their relationships to one another.

The starling example posted above is a good example... of course it's not the only example of emergent behavior and isn't limited to lower forms for intelligent life... a simple set of rules could be developed for NASCAR racing... (although there's some bebate about if it's not a lower form of intelligence)

A convoy of ships sailing across the Atlantic have one set of rules to behave too... yet upon sighting of a U-boat another set of rules for a limited period before adhering yet again to the previous set.

In star-trek this would be called 'defense pattern Delta'.

A submarine would do a 'crazy Ivan' a Lancaster bomber a 'corkscrew'.... it's not AI just very basic rule based behavior.

Be great if this could be worked out.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 07:25:19 am »

First of all: Thank you for the appreciation !  :)

Then take advantage of your post for a clarification ...
When I spoke of "the little artificial intelligence" I did not mean to refer to "REAL AI" of the computer world that regards, if I remember correctly, all the software that has the ability to self-planning during its execution, forever refining of more algorithms responsible for solution of events to process.
My few lines of script has certainly not this claim and respond programmatically to events without learning anything from the mistakes.

The approaching of the flock with a "too small form of AI", however, makes me very proud, and I thank you ... :)

The vast majority of AI in games are really simple, reacting to a limited amount of information/parameters, so by definition, it's an AI, even if the word "Intelligence" is obviously a wrong choice, but again, deep learning AI is not something we will see soon in real time engines :)

bomber

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 07:59:57 am »

Exactly Acetone, all too often I hear people wanting AI this and that when in reality all they're after is a set of rule based procedures to be applied.... take a bombers turret gunner for example.

1) scan sky
a) nearest plane is it enemy, yes/no
b) if no move onto next nearest if yes align guns with plane
c) track target

2) track target
a) align guns with target
b) is target within range yes/no
c) if no track target is yes fire guns
d) after 15 seconds of tracking scan sky

3) fire guns
a) align guns with target
b) when in range fire guns for 3 seconds 5 seconds gap
c) taking damage in last 3 seconds yes/no
d) if yes continuous fire
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

andfly

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:27:12 am »

I wonder if things like this can be used for ambiance....... Smaller (life-sized) birds located in random locations, fished in the oceans based on your Orca program, sea traffic (boats) etc.

I firmly believe that Outerra is capable of all this!
Using simpler models, animations pre-built 3D graphics programs, the power and the optimization of the engine should be able to safely handle a large number of "environmental life representations" to be performed only when you get closer ...

It has already started importing the rivers ...
Then importing the streets ... then the cities ...
Natural will devise the best systems to insert a little life and movement ....

We remain confident ...    :)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

andfly

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 08:31:56 am »

Chasing eagles with the Corby Starlet is fun (and slightly queasy with the rift :D ).

Aaaaaaaargh !!!!!
I was attacked by a shameful but irrepressible feeling of envy!

Flying with the jewel of the "Maison Levi's" in the mountains and valleys of Anteworld, chasing a flock of birds, approach, see and hear the beating of their wings,......
and all this with the oculus rift !!!

You're a lucky guy!

Too bad for a little nauseous ....
But ... thinking deeply .... I think with some aerial acrobatics ... in the real world would be much worse!

Using just a few words and a "mental image" have demonstrated what can be Outerra better than any long speech full of majestic and uplifting words!
Thank you.   :) :)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

andfly

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:47 am »

I read once about bird flocking... birds aren't rocket scientists so they behave simply with no leader and all have the same command which creates the typically seen effects.

1) maintain min max distance to nearest bird.
2) maintain min max height above ground.

This isn't a racing pigeon flock which must have.

1) if no bird in front fly circular path around co-order x y z
2) maintain min max distance to bird in front .

It's a wwii  bomber formation type set of simple requirements

Regards

Simon.

This goes under the heading of "Emergent behavior"

It's true !

All the birds in the flock using exactly the same command script.

It is fascinating to see how even an extremely small difference in the initial placement or in guidance, causing, in time, enormous changes in the route and flight behavior!

andfly

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 08:46:59 am »

This may be the foundation to have something like this!

Althoug for that, perhaps would be beter use particles.

It would be a really cool effect!  8)

We have already seen something that uses particles Outerra: the smoke tests (long ago) and recently its use, by Uriah, to give realism to start rocket under the Typhoon  wings ....
Increase the particle size and shape into small birds (also not moving) .... well ... if you can ...
Programming of movement rules that reproduce situations that are seen in the movie ...

It seems a good idea to pass the developers ...

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 09:21:07 am »

We have already seen something that uses particles Outerra: the smoke tests (long ago)

Haven't you shoot the ground lately? We have smoke now!  :D
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

andfly

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 02:19:45 pm »

Haven't you shoot the ground lately? We have smoke now!  :D

Wow !!!    :D
I had not yet happened to touch the left mouse button ....
it was a surprise!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:06:01 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

andfly

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 07:24:09 am »

I included the function that identifies the obstacles on the route of flight (who kindly informed me Cameni) in the command script of the flock of birds.
Now, from my tests, even flying in the narrow gorges between the mountains, you will not lose any more bird.
This, however, is not assured "absolutely"!
For a purely "aesthetic" factor I have commanded the change of course "the last moment" because I really like to see the eagles that graze the cliffs ...
Since the flight of birds is very "random", it could happen that one set of unfavorable combinations fail to prevent a collision with the ground ...
In my tests it never happened but I only tried it for about half an hour .... and it is not enough to offer guarantees!

Here is the link to download the new script replaces the old EAGLE_Flock.js
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgR2MyajU2MExIZXM/view?usp=sharing

Still .... good flight!

DSCHILDMEIJER

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 03:05:58 am »

Hi!

You must love this to see too! check the young eaglts feeded by there parents click on one of the cams A or B for perfect views. Watch them growing up they are still young you can follow them 24/7 Daylight is color cam!

http://dceaglecam.org/

In 2014, a pair of mated Bald Eagles chose the most idyllic of nest sites within the United States’ National Capital (Washington, DC), nestled high in a Tulip Poplar tree amongst the Azalea Collection at the U.S. National Arboretum.

http://dceaglecam.org/

Danny

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 12:59:07 pm »

Nice, DSCHILDMEIJER!!! Thanks for sharing!

andfly

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 02:44:39 pm »

I agree !!!
An excellent opportunity to share an exciting experience!

Thank you.   :) :)

patmarrnc

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »

wow, Andfly!

This is awesome! The contributions you've made to this forum and to Outerra in general are amazing! Thanks for the help and inspiration you offer to all of us!
Pages: 1 [2]