Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Vulkan is already among us!  (Read 10641 times)

zombie00

Vulkan is already among us!
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:27:23 pm »

So Vulkan is finally out, took them sometime, but if it delivers what it was promised, it should be more than worth the wait.
https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-vulkan-1-0-specification

I was wondering if you guys (the dev team of Outerra) was going to implement it into the engine. If I'm not wrong, Vulkan was built around Mantle, so implementing Vulkan could come around with an improvement on the performance with AMD drivers (that perform sort of poorly with OpenGL).

HiFlyer

Re: Vulkan is already among us!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 05:28:44 pm »

So Vulkan is finally out, took them sometime, but if it delivers what it was promised, it should be more than worth the wait.
https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-vulkan-1-0-specification

I was wondering if you guys (the dev team of Outerra) was going to implement it into the engine. If I'm not wrong, Vulkan was built around Mantle, so implementing Vulkan could come around with an improvement on the performance with AMD drivers (that perform sort of poorly with OpenGL).

I will be curious as to how this affects their ongoing performance testing.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:41:03 am »

We don't expect big performance gains from switching OT to Vulkan (not CPU bound), and even if we very much liked to switch to a clean modern API, it's hard to justify the switch that would take us several months. For us it's mainly the question if Vulkan can really bring in better quality drivers, so we'll follow it closely and evaluate it.

I will be curious as to how this affects their ongoing performance testing.

Our perf tests aren't struggling on the CPU side at all, it all seems to be on the GPU side. Similarly whole OT is rather GPU bound, and the agreement is that Vulkan won't help much here. However, since it's a simpler and more explicit model, the drivers *might* be better optimized. On the other hand, explicit model is more complex, and if coders start to emit bad code, vendors will likely try to optimize it in their drivers to gain over their competition ... that would be bad.

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:47:04 am »

Interesting.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

ddenn

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:52:26 am »

There's a very interesting post about Vukan from Ben Supnik, Laminar Research lead developer (X-plane).
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:26:15 am »

There's a very interesting post about Vukan from Ben Supnik, Laminar Research lead developer (X-plane).

Hmmmmmmm.