Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Topography - 3D mapping 5m  (Read 8836 times)

aWac9

Topography - 3D mapping 5m
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:34:39 pm »

Relief maps to this resolution are intended for infrastructure, digital maps are very detailed in three dimensions and are extra, although it may have interesting facts that are free .. :)
AW3DTM
http://aw3d.jp/en/index.html
The map AW3DTM uses a digital elevation model (DEM) with a resolution of five meters and uses some three million images taken by the ALOS satellite Japan Aerospace Agency (JAXA), manufactured by Daichi.

Tenerife -Islas Canarias

So far we had projects ranging from 90, 70 to 30 m. among others as the ASTE Gdem project.
https://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/gdem.asp

The promoters of the project, NTT DATA
http://www.nttdata.com/global/en/news-center/pressrelease/2016/042600.html
and the Center for Remote Sensing Technology Japan (RESTEC)
https://www.restec.or.jp/en/
 They have now announced that they have completed coverage of this 3D mapping service, which now covers even Antarctica (albeit partially).
They are financed by selling maps, and leaves about 200 yen (1.50 €) The km2 although it can reach 40 euros per square kilometer recreations also included in vector format map of buildings and structures in 3D with resolutions between 2 and 0.5 meters.
Price list
http://www.aw3d.jp/en/public/AW3Dprice_en.pdf#zoom=100

Tokyo is very detailed and has a different price € 120 km2

source: the Spanish daily
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:49:12 pm by aWac9 »

HiFlyer

Re: Topography - 3D mapping 5m
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:45:45 pm »

On a related subject, I've been hoping that in the future it becomes relatively easy to merge higher resolution data-sets into Outerra for selected points of interest, or maybe for commercial products. I know it can be done, but the easier the better......

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

josem75

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:37:01 pm »

On a related subject, I've been hoping that in the future it becomes relatively easy to merge higher resolution data-sets into Outerra for selected points of interest, or maybe for commercial products. I know it can be done, but the easier the better......

This is the quid of the question. Coz we have lots of places covered with high detailed DEM, and many are free.
For example, i remember playing in MSFS 2002 with Andalucía 5m DEM (my place in Spain), and it was great.
Some countries make detailed DEM and serve for free. So if we can merge data we can enjoy them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:44:53 pm by josem75 »

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:05:23 am »

I remember having discussed this (importing parts of high res. DTM or DEM) with cameni years ago
and I agree with you that it could be quite nice for specific commercial applications in OT.
Of course there is the problem of how to stitch together the edges of the different res. terrains, and how render the new high res. area
( BTW Airbus geo can provide, at a high cost though, resolution of 1 meter acquired from Pléiades Panchromatic Stereopairs )
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:01 am »

I guess the simplest solution for merging higher and lower res data is just smoothing them around the edges
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:20 am »

I am not sure and think that, depending on the application and needs, leaving vertical cliffs at the edges would be enough, as a starting point
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

zombie00

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »

I am not sure and think that, depending on the application and needs, leaving vertical cliffs at the edges would be enough, as a starting point

I think a cliff in the middle of nowhere shouldn't be so noticeable, unless you personally now the area very well in real life. The problem here would be getting the roads to match without some absurd construction (huge ramps or oddly inclined bridges). After all, roads are supposed to be procedurally  generated too.