Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Global Treasure Hunt game  (Read 3371 times)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Global Treasure Hunt game
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:30:00 am »

Ok here's the idea. Imagine a treasure hunt game, set in a 1:1 earth  (check!) where players would team up, choose their starting location and be given some clues about what they are looking for. They would also be given a starting budget.

Then they would set off to find that objective, which would be placed in a random location in the globe, along with some clues that point to it. By using their budget correctly and correctly translating the clues they have, teams gave to get to the objective before others do.

Right use of the budget is critical. Budget allows teams to purchase vehicles and equipment to aid their expedition. For example, imagine that the goal is to find a hidden temple in a jungle. Two teams have both found out that the temple is located somewhere in the Amazon rainforest. A team that had managed their budget correctly and has rented a helicopter is more likely to find the temple than the team that is trekking through the jungle in jeeps.

Getting more ambitious in terms of gameplay design (what,even more?) teams could interact with NPCs to purchase vehicles, equipment and clues.

That all sound good by let's get back to reality. Who would want to play through an expedition in real time? It would take months to complete a game.
Let's try to shrink that down to weeks (what? Persistence is key here. Just because you logged off a server it doesn't mean that other teams can't continue. Think of Minecraft. You start a goal and take months to complete it.)
So, let's see. How can we shave off useless time from the expedition gameplay? Your suggestions are welcome.
We can ignore sleeping for now and any other too survival based gameplay elements to save time but some for of fast travel would be reasonable as well.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
Re: Global Treasure Hunt game
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:38 am »

I believe someone just watched:
Jokes aside, I like the idea. Though I would prefer it to be more of a mad mad mad world style chase.

John514

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:55:38 am »

Never watched that! I bet it would make my idea even more impossible!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:26:32 am »

Has someone played "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego"? Something like your proposal, but must chase a criminal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_in_the_World_Is_Carmen_Sandiego%3F

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

John514

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:36 am »

Or GeoGuessr, where you get dropped in a random place on Google Street View and you need to find out where you are

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:52:59 am »

Or GeoGuessr, where you get dropped in a random place on Google Street View and you need to find out where you are

I saw that.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P