Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Podcast about Outerra  (Read 66090 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:28 am »

Quote from: Redrobes
The thing is, if your using OpenCL or CUDA your closer to the core of the card than GL is because, as you say, GLSL was not a card specific language but CUDA is and OpenCL is really close to CUDA. In other words, I think there would be a performance advantage to using OpenCL + GL instead of GLSL alone.
OpenCL or CUDA is indeed a lower level language, closer to the hardware, but I don't think it means that OpenGL would be slower. GLSL is compiled to a hw specific code, probably the same one as OpenCL. It's true that OpenCL comes with a finer control over what you are doing, but that's not necessarily a good thing in the sense that devs are likely to optimize it less than the vendor. In theory OpenGL could be done on top of OpenCL, but it will be certainly much faster when vendor does it than it would be if the devs had to it, IMHO.

Still, there are cases when using OpenCL together with OpenGL would be advantageous, but there's that factor of switching and syncing the contexts - though we don't know exactly how much it will cost us yet. One thing that we are missing in current OpenGL is the lack of in-GLSL synchronization, the instruction that is so common in CUDA that waits for all threads to come to the same point before continuing. For some reason this synchronization is available only from outside, from OpenGL.

One of the advantages of OpenCL over the other two is that it was "supposed" to be a language such that the CPU could run as well. So in theory you could do the compute over the GPU and the CPU concurrently. I would admit that I know of nobody that does it like that tho. The Intel Larabee was supposed to be all over that but it died a death.
Maybe for some tools, but just as a fallback for someone who hasn't got a GPU with the needed capabilities. For example, mapressor requires 64 bit floating point and math on GPU, and if it was written in OpenCL it could fallback to CPU if current graphics card doesn't support 64 bit math. Though, I think there is emulation and it's still faster, so it's probably a wrong example.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 02:53:37 am »

Quote from: Abc94
BTW do you still think there will be a June release?
June? What year? :D
Seriously, I'm not aware we committed to any June anywhere, and it certainly won't be this June. I think we said that we'd very much like to release it in summer. We are spending a considerable portion of our time on the stuff necessary for the alpha release - implementing authentication and autoupdate, fixing data download issues, cleaning the editors and such.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 02:58:43 am »

Think you said two months a month and a half ago. I don't hold anyone to their dates. Duke Nukem....
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Abc94

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »

Quote from: cameni
June? What year?
Seriously, I'm not aware we committed to any June anywhere, and it certainly won't be this June. I think we said that we'd very much like to release it in summer.

Yeah sorry about.  For some reason I was thinking from the Battle.no interview that you said June.

Not to add any more pressure (sorry!) but right now are the chances still good of seeing the demo (or Alpha) this summer?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »

Not to add any more pressure (sorry!) but right now are the chances still good of seeing the demo (or Alpha) this summer?
Yes, summer still holds. Demo and Alpha should come together.

Abc94

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 05:50:37 pm »

Cool!   :cool:  I really can't wait to get my hands on the demo (and Alpha)!

So you're planning on using a pricing model similar to Minecraft's right?  Also, are you planning on alowing people to buy it early or "pre-order" it as well?  I'm ready to pay for it the day as it becomes available.   :D
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:14 am »

It will be certainly very alpha when released, so it's the preorder-and-get-alpha model known from the Minecraft and and that Wolfire game, what'sitsname ...

I think it will be like this - the free demo will allow roaming around the world anywhere, and upon registration (through the in-game browser) people will get access to two prototype vehicles.
People who preorder the alpha will get more vehicles and the ability to build stuff in sandbox mode (locally), and then in the online game mode they will be able to claim their own land anywhere in the world (except game specific forbidden areas) and build their stuff there, following the economic game rules.

How does that sound?

Matt6767

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:55:25 am »

will be able to claim their own land anywhere in the world (except game specific forbidden areas)
How does that sound?
I love it.

SpaceFlight

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 01:13:03 pm »

It will be certainly very alpha when released, so it's the preorder-and-get-alpha model known from the Minecraft and and that Wolfire game, what'sitsname ...

I think it will be like this - the free demo will allow roaming around the world anywhere, and upon registration (through the in-game browser) people will get access to two prototype vehicles.
People who preorder the alpha will get more vehicles and the ability to build stuff in sandbox mode (locally), and then in the online game mode they will be able to claim their own land anywhere in the world (except game specific forbidden areas) and build their stuff there, following the economic game rules.

How does that sound?

Great news.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »

Very good idea.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 03:03:22 pm »

and that Wolfire game, what'sitsname ...

Lugaru :)

Just checked that game out, and watched the videos on their YouTube channel for the sequel, Overgrowth.  Now THAT is an interesting editor they created, and would be an eventual nice addition to Outerra.  Looks very mod-friendly.  May have to fork over some cash to check it out.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »

will be able to claim their own land anywhere in the world (except game specific forbidden areas)

So I am to assume the summit of Mt Everest would be off limits? I can only imagine the difficulty of getting there if the flying vehicles were limited to a certain realistic altitude. That's where I would build my retro 80's gaming bar.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Abc94

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:45 pm »

How does that sound?

Sounds great!

the free demo will allow roaming around the world anywhere

So you decided to open up the whole world for the demo?  That's great news!  :D  :D  :cool:

claim their own land anywhere in the world (except game specific forbidden areas)

Why are you planning on making certain areas unavailable?  Is it just because they are landmarks?

Also how big of an area do you think players will be able to choose from the start?  What will new players do when the entire Earth has been claimed, even though I would imagine that would take a VERY long time anyways.  Maybe then you could add in the moon and Mars to be colonised?  :P

And any hints on what the prototype vehicles are going to be?

Sam 36

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 08:04:13 pm »

How does that sound?

That sounds fantastic!  If the money is allocable, you can count me in!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 04:32:47 am »

Why are you planning on making certain areas unavailable?  Is it just because they are landmarks?
Because we want to use them later in game for special areas. For example, once we make the city generator, we want to have the large cities from the past present as ruins, with high concentration of things-that-want-to-kill-ya. One could choose the difficulty by how far from these one settles.
But that's for the final released game, and maybe for the alpha period we should just allow the whole world, and reset it or create a new realm for the release, though not everyone will like it so I guess.

Also how big of an area do you think players will be able to choose from the start?  What will new players do when the entire Earth has been claimed, even though I would imagine that would take a VERY long time anyways.  Maybe then you could add in the moon and Mars to be colonised?  :P
That's open to consideration. The world is divided to tiles, and the usual tile we are using for various purposes in the engine is L12 which is roughly 2446m by the side. That is close to 6km².
Earth's land surface is 148,940,000 km², out of which the agricultural land is 48,836,976 km², making it 8,162,738 tiles where one can gather food, or 24,894,215 tiles total.

Now how much one can get? If we take the maximum number of players there could be, we could proportionally divide the area and get some limit. But more logical is to assume it will not be proportionally divided. Every player should get a certain starting number of tiles, and by growing economically he should be able to capture additional chunks, or, if he doesn't play, the chunks will be freed.
But since we don't have the numbers, we can only find it through the alpha/beta stage. So I guess for alpha we set the initial number somewhat higher, and adjust later.

Anyway, it's quite unlikely that the land would run out. Adding Moon and Mars is more likely to happen because of the "because we can" effect :cool:

And any hints on what the prototype vehicles are going to be?
The prototype vehicles are for the freely registered users to experience some driving/piloting in addition to free ufo-style flying around. There should be two - probably the truck and an aircraft.
They are called prototype because, you know, our engineers had to fit various instruments there and consequently the gas tank had to be shrunk, you know, so you'll have to fill it from a canister every 15min or so. Sorry about that :D
People who bought the game will get normal, non-prototype vehicles, and a wider variety of them.

As always, everything is subject to change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6