Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Podcast about Outerra  (Read 67782 times)

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 05:00:45 am »

So tiles are 600ha. I don't know, i might need more space.
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but whats going on with minerals in the ground? Given what little i know of the game backstory, wouldn't most, if not all, minerals be gone? If they're not gone, are we gong to have some kind of way of determining where they are? Additionally, it would be completely awesome to have to smelt/refine minerals yourself (or trade it to someone else to do it).
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 05:29:32 am »

The tiles are just atomic units of land. One player will be given, like, 20 or 100 of them, initially?
Or more precisely, player can claim the number of tiles corresponding to what his economical status allows, those initial 20 or how much is just the basis.

Minerals - there's enough of minerals everywhere, it's just that the profitability of mining becomes lower after you exploit the easy sources. It will need a better tech for it, ore enriching etc. For some materials the technology will be only available at Mothership, that will trade with you.

There should be way of determining the quality of the ore, the percentage of precious stuff contained within it. Technically, if you filter a ton of common dirt you'll still be able to extract some small amount of metals from it, but of course you'll be motivated to find a better source. The distribution of these richer ores will be determined by fractal, and you will have to make measurements and infer the location of deposits from them.
There will be mines that can be built, upgradable by enrichers so that it's possible to reduce the volume needed to be ferried to the base where the separator is stationed ..

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 06:30:32 am »

What about combining the various economic benefits to different types of industry? For example, aluminium refining takes a large amount of electricity. Therefore it would be cheaper if the electricity is cheaper. Also, is pollution going to be in at least in some form (even if not graphical)?
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:58 am »

Quote from: Jak_o_Shadows
What about combining the various economic benefits to different types of industry? For example, aluminium refining takes a large amount of electricity. Therefore it would be cheaper if the electricity is cheaper. Also, is pollution going to be in at least in some form (even if not graphical)?

In most instances, the economy looks like it will be mostly player-driven, although the above scenario will happen as well.

In Star Wars Galaxies, player economy was driven by rarity of resources + quality.  High quality items made for better quality gear and structures ... which came at premium prices when sold on the market.  If there was a glut of high quality resources, prices would inevitably drop because everyone could make similar quality items and had to compete.  If the resource was extremely rare, prices would skyrocket.

Although SWG didn't have a great economy, it worked.  From what I understand though, Eve Online has the best economy of any game ... so much so that economists look at trends there and relate it to real-world phenomena.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

OGREMAN

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 12:51:24 pm »

Quote from: cameni
It will be certainly very alpha when released, so it's the preorder-and-get-alpha model known from the Minecraft and and that Wolfire game, what'sitsname ...

I think it will be like this - the free demo will allow roaming around the world anywhere, and upon registration (through the in-game browser) people will get access to two prototype vehicles.
People who preorder the alpha will get more vehicles and the ability to build stuff in sandbox mode (locally), and then in the online game mode they will be able to claim their own land anywhere in the world (except game specific forbidden areas) and build their stuff there, following the economic game rules.

How does that sound?

Yaa Hoo ... its a plan that gets my vote ;-)
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

corona

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:04 pm »

So, I don't understand this.

I just want to get into vehicles and fly/drive around (anywhere in the world). I don't really want to "claim" any land or anything like that.

I'll be able to do that, right?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 01:49:35 pm »

Quote from: corona
So, I don't understand this.

I just want to get into vehicles and fly/drive around (anywhere in the world). I don't really want to "claim" any land or anything like that.

I'll be able to do that, right?

In the tech demo yes.

BUT, if you want to drive and fly in multiple vehicles then you will be purchasing the Alpha Game where claiming land and updates and awesome will occur.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

corona

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:07 pm »

Hmm, well I don't know. Will there be some sort of offline version of the "Alpha Game". I want to buy it, its just.....well I'm not into the whole strategy stuff or buying things. I've always looked at this as an awesome, tranquile as you like, way to explore the world. Maybe build a few roads here and there, and sure, install other peoples work or even join a server now and then to do stuff together. But when I get home from work I want to relax and fly a heli through some vally in new zealand or something and not log onto a server and manage my land and worry about who build that ugly tower next to me.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »

There will be offline sandbox mode with the game, so you can go anywhere alone and build only your stuff.

But I expect that soon enough there will be a group of people wanting to create their own world together. Online world may become "instanced", let's say a group of flight sim people will see only their own modifications there, and such instance will be likely stripped of any game rules. This is also in line with our plan to allow other developers to create their own games/apps in Outerra world.
But, of course, it will take some time to fulfill it.

corona

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »

Ok then.

Will you take my money now? ;-)

PeterBitt

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:24 pm »

Quote from: cameni
There will be offline sandbox mode with the game, so you can go anywhere alone and build only your stuff.
does this mean completely offline? can we download the whole dataset to our hdds and dont need to be online to enjoy outerra?
i think processors could handle the streaming alot better then my lame 200kb internet connection, or does it have nothing to do with the speed of the internet connection? i have no knowledge about such things.

i dont like to play online often because playing games is my personal "human free time" and i dont like to interact with other people while gaming  ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »

Well, in the first phase you won't be interacting with people, just seeing their creations if you ever happen to their places.

Main load are the terrain data, and they won't be streamed, but rather downloaded and cached on demand. For a single place on the ground level it downloads around 100MB, after that it downloads additional small chunks of data only after some 20km. Actually, after the initial download you won't even notice it downloading further data. Well, with a normal internet connection you won't.

PeterBitt

Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 05:54:55 pm »

ok just to make sure i got this right, outerra will require a internet connection to play?
and what do you mean by "normal internet connection", will my max of ~250kb be enough? loading 100mb at full speed needs around 5 minutes at this "speed" :/

how ever outerra will be worth the few more bucks a month for a faster internet connection, iam sure of that!

btw what is the recomended bandwidth for outerra?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 06:15:04 pm »

If you can download at 250 kilo Bytes which is kB. You would refer to your internet connection as 2 Mega-bit per second. Which should be fine for streaming Outerra's land data under normal circumstances if I understand how it works correctly.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Podcast about Outerra
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 01:24:32 am »

So it's 250kB (kilo bytes), not 250kb (kilo bits, 8x less).
250kB is fine for Outerra. Our current server caps the speed per download to around 250kB, so that's what we are getting too when testing the initial download, except that at the end it spawns more (3) downloads in parallel so it goes higher than that.

For alpha we will be using cloud servers where the speed is much higher so people with better connection can get it faster, though it's not really a problem - only the initial download makes you wait (once), but then, with normal speeds achievable with vehicles in game, you don't have to wait for a download anymore, it gets delivered on the background by the time you need it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6