Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: How do I stop the bullets?  (Read 9275 times)

patmarrnc

How do I stop the bullets?
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:31:58 am »

I just discovered Outerra/Anteworld and I am totally excited about the potential to create virtually any navigable landscape for my 3D video animations . That's powerful, and well worth the 15 bucks to me. But I'm not so excited about the bullets that keep whizzing past me every few minutes. I don't have any interest in it as a game engine, only as a terrain generator.  Is there a way to opt out of the game and use the engine to create my terrain without getting attacked?

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
Re: How do I stop the bullets?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:23:31 am »

I wasn't sure how you can be attacked by someone in Outerra, but then I realized that you could be talking about environmental sounds at fast speeds. They are not bullets though :)
I think there isn't a simple solution for that, are you planning to organize your 3D video animations in a more or less static manner? If so, "bullets" shouldn't be a problem.

Again, I hope that I correctly recognized the subject of your complaint!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 03:05:51 am »

Haha, but it's not even multiplayer yet...  We're not even sure what is going to become of it yet exactly.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

patmarrnc

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:04 am »

I wasn't sure how you can be attacked by someone in Outerra, but then I realized that you could be talking about environmental sounds at fast speeds. They are not bullets though :)
I think there isn't a simple solution for that, are you planning to organize your 3D video animations in a more or less static manner? If so, "bullets" shouldn't be a problem.

Again, I hope that I correctly recognized the subject of your complaint!

Denis, thanks for taking time to respond! It wasn't a noise... what I experienced was like the rocket flares in the demo about how craters are formed in real time... they were zooming over my head and sometimes hitting the ground near me, exactly like someone was shooting at me in a multiplayer game.  In retrospect, I think I must have been doing the shooting myself accidentally as I mindlessly worked the mouse and keyboard, with my attention focused on the amazing panorama that kept unfolding before me.

And that's good news, since it means there's no problem to solve at all! 

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:49:59 am »

Denis, thanks for taking time to respond! It wasn't a noise... what I experienced was like the rocket flares in the demo about how craters are formed in real time... they were zooming over my head and sometimes hitting the ground near me, exactly like someone was shooting at me in a multiplayer game.  In retrospect, I think I must have been doing the shooting myself accidentally as I mindlessly worked the mouse and keyboard, with my attention focused on the amazing panorama that kept unfolding before me.

Left mouse button is used for the "crater gun" in free flight mode, this may be the reason why you've been a target, if you are moving forward and press this mouse button, the "bullet" will follow your trajectory path with pretty much equal velocity, so a soon as you get close to the ground, boom, a crater :)
You can change that in the key config menu.

patmarrnc

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:58 am »

Haha, but it's not even multiplayer yet...  We're not even sure what is going to become of it yet exactly.
Hi Jagerbomber! Thanks for taking time to respond!  See my previous comment for a possible explanation of what I experienced.

Since I'm new here, I don't know if you are a developer or user... but I assume the developers watch the forum, so I'll speak to you as a developer.   

You have an amazing product here! With regards to how it will develop in the future, you might consider some kind of separate license for animators. There is a boom in animation right now for all the same reasons that there is a boom in gaming, and lots of people like me can use this product to generate terrain for video sets.  Your current policy allows only personal use of scenes derived from your product... but surely you already realize there is potential for people to make money, and so you may as well decide what that license should cost because you will get requests for such a license.

You might also consider collaborations with the 3D animation companies like DAZ, POSER, iCLONE, 3dS MAX, MAYA,  MUVIZU and even the 2D animation software since most of them are really 3D engines that can import and use 3D content.  I'm sure you're already well aware that your potential market goes well beyond the world of gaming.

Speaking as an animator, it would be VERY cool to access your engine as a plugin from within my main animation software, and work seamlessly in one environment instead of having to export blue screen backgrounds and merge everything later.

Anyway... major KUDOS to the development team for making such an AMAZING resource available at such a reasonable price! I am totally blown away!

patmarrnc

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:07:12 am »

Left mouse button is used for the "crater gun" in free flight mode, this may be the reason why you've been a target, if you are moving forward and press this mouse button, the "bullet" will follow your trajectory path with pretty much equal velocity, so a soon as you get close to the ground, boom, a crater :)
You can change that in the key config menu.

Thanks for verifying my suspicions, Acetone! I appreciate your help!   Yes, no doubt I pressed the left button a few times as I fumbled around! I'm glad that turned out to be that case, because it would be really annoying to keep getting attacked while I'm building sets for my animations! Now that I know NOT to press the left mouse button, this may end up being the best $16.25 USD I've spent all year!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 01:10:57 pm »

Ahh, so it was that...    :))  Wasn't sure if it was that, or if you were being vague about where the game was going in general.  =D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:44:12 am »

MP doesnt matter. You could still be hit by an autonomous killing robot !

Go minions ! Take ower the world !

... remember someone did some spaceship-guns that could follow a targed some time back ? Would be nice to scare someone in OT by some turrets, watching you, pointing guns around. :D

Your current policy allows only personal use of scenes derived from your product... but surely you already realize there is potential for people to make money, and so you may as well decide what that license should cost because you will get requests for such a license.

... devs can be contacted in the matter of commercial use directly (not a forum thing anyway). But they will add some stuff white progressing time, making it for sceneries even more interesting latter. I think there be a tonn of options to shape licencing, as for this scenery-oriented "market", both video and snap-shot sceneries (lets say for architects to present work, etc.) are probably great in variety (+ all other possible usses that wont use OT in its full potential as an engine). Cameny could have some ideas alredy, but as I write, something to discuss personally white him, especially at this point of OTs development.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:02:22 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.