Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Ability to export 3D terrain  (Read 2478 times)

patmarrnc

Ability to export 3D terrain
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:58:09 am »

Hi Dev team.... you have an amazing product here... it's so over the top that you must be struggling to figure out how to capitalize on your potential!

One thing that would be useful to me as an animator would be the ability to export 3D scenes of defined size. That way I could import/use your actual 3d scenery in my animation software, and I wouldn't have to just use a screen capture on a layer. It would enable my characters to walk among the trees and swim across the rivers.

Just a thought.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Ability to export 3D terrain
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:02:12 am »

We are receiving similar requests surprisingly often, but there are a few technical problems with the export, in addition to relatively poor gain/effort ratio in current state of things.

How would the size to export be defined? Right now the mesh resolution stops at few centimeters, but you'd probably need a whole area in full detail, surrounded by a progressively reduced resolution terrain. I also expect it to be difficult once proper procedural or semi-procedural trees arrive; basically the export would have to expand everything procedural into separate objects.

A large portion of how the terrain looks is also due to the atmospheric and ambient lighting used, so results of the export may vary a lot from what is seen in OT. Also we'd need to match the material definitions, although it may becoming less of a problem with physical lighting being used more nowadays.

I'd actually love to make a world creator based on the engine, with ability to create and fully modify the world and use it for production, but unfortunately right now there's not much space for it.