Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Released] Monterrey extended  (Read 17144 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
[Released] Monterrey extended
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »

Monterrey extended v1  |  /!\ Requires World2Xplane models library
[otx package - 3Mo]    |[otx package - 52.4Mo]
The original scenery for Monterrey is nice, but there were not enough buildings to get an idea of the area scale. I started to create this add-on, expanding the existing are with more roads and a ton of World2Xplane buildings. It's mainly flight oriented, since these models are low quality and not very well placed (more content, less details).

v1:
  • Added roads, following the local grid network
  • Added buildings, semi-realistic placement
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:22:57 pm by Acetone »

HiFlyer

Re: Monterrey extended
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 05:36:50 pm »

Looks pretty nice! I didn't even know w2xp buildings came in those colors!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

andfly

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:14:52 pm »

Always excellent work.
Thanks !
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 05:17:49 am »

And a video :)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 10:51:52 am »

Cool! Great diversity!    :)

Thanks, Acetone!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:53:33 am »

Interesting you got more trees over a basically desert texture area. And lots of houses. as always amazed at your patience. I wish houses automatically blocked trees from appearing in the same spot without painstakingly flattening each footprint.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:15 am »

Interesting you got more trees over a basically desert texture area. And lots of houses. as always amazed at your patience. I wish houses automatically blocked trees from appearing in the same spot without painstakingly flattening each footprint.

Actually it was quickly done, a lot of houses copy and paste, then slightly adjusted to not be on the roads. You don't have to create levelling for all houses too, you just need to copy it with the house. However, since some of the W2Xplane models have extended base, the levelling is broken after you copy the house, so I don't use this for these models.

In fact, since trees placement is mostly a matter of rules + vegetation data, I'm wondering if buildings could have the same type of effect the roads have on trees : removing those.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 12:01:20 pm »

Actually it was quickly done, a lot of houses copy and paste, then slightly adjusted to not be on the roads. You don't have to create levelling for all houses too, you just need to copy it with the house. However, since some of the W2Xplane models have extended base, the levelling is broken after you copy the house, so I don't use this for these models.

In fact, since trees placement is mostly a matter of rules + vegetation data, I'm wondering if buildings could have the same type of effect the roads have on trees : removing those.

That's what I meant, actually. It would look great and also be very helpful, especially in covering large areas. Aerofly Fs 2 is very pretty, but I notice the trees appear absolutely everywhere. Parking lots, on roads, in the middle of buildings.........

A shame.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »

Hmm, would an automatic leveling (and tree removal) for buildings be desired in all cases?

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »

Hmm, would an automatic leveling (and tree removal) for buildings be desired in all cases?

Probably not the levelling, because I see a lot of cases where it could create problems (buildings models with extended underground walls, large structures, conflict with other roads in some areas...). Plus it shouldn't be applied to all objects, and there is no real difference between simple static models and buildings outside the keywords in metadata.
But right now it's the only way to remove trees, right?
One solution would be to remove (or hide) any trees inside the bounding box of a static object, but I have no idea if it's possible.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 03:04:36 pm »

It would be possible to perform some terrain modifications using static object footprints. Removing trees, or some height filtering (limited to the procedural terrain areas to avoid modifying roads).

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 04:28:06 pm »

It would be possible to perform some terrain modifications using static object footprints. Removing trees, or some height filtering (limited to the procedural terrain areas to avoid modifying roads).

Sounds good!

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:52 pm »

And remember folks, you should start adding roads before cloning buildings blocks, or you will end up having to move thousands of houses to fit the urban grid :(

This advice was brought to you by Acetone™. Acetone™:  "it's never too late to realise you are an idiot"™

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 02:54:17 am »

This advice was brought to you by Acetone™. Acetone™:  "it's never too late to realise you are an idiot"™

Putting that quote right above my monitor ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »

Pages: [1] 2