Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Swarms & Flocks  (Read 31973 times)

andfly

Re: Swarms & Flocks
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 01:32:23 pm »

Hi Andfly,

Love your work! It really adds 'life' to Outerra.

It is currently possible via the Plugin API for vehicles to communicate with each other.
It's far too complicated for me to explain here in a text post but in short..

You program a plugin.dll to accept 'registrations' from vehicles.
That is, when a vehicle is instanced it 'checks in' with the dll and is then able to communicate via  the dll with other vehicles.

Next  week I hope to release version 0.000001 (: of my multiplayer plugin.

You'll be able to open up the script on the vehicles I include and see how it works.
As I have it now.. you:

1.) 'Enter' a tower vehicle that I will include in an OTX file..
2.) when you enter that tower it spawns 3 aircraft automatically.
3.) These 3 aircraft pass there direction and position info to the dll
4.) the dll sends the info to a server
5.) the server sends the info to the other connected clients
6.) the dll gets  the info from the server and passes it to the vehicle objects.

So it should be fairly simple to just bypass all the server/client code and have the dll pass data between vehicles.

How are your C++ skills ? :)
L

Hi, Longdon !

This is really good news!
I followed with great interest the course of your job as "Rain Wizard."

I think everyone, at this point, we look forward to the preliminary version !
 (known to you reserved "some small possibility of revision" before coming to vers. 1.0 ...,
 right! Is a sign that the work does not scare you !! )

To communicate the data in order to fly with another "real" person was my first wish when I explored Anteworld the first time.

To realize it is ..... great !!!

Surely I will study with great interest your script, to capture as much as possible!

Unfortunately only ones ... my knowledge of the C language is ... below zero!
(Is the typical limit of learners things "to complete a self-taught": he studied and deepened only what you need and when you need it ...
With Visual Basic (and only Ver. 6) I have always been able to achieve everything I needed ... and, although I would have liked the chance to partake in the "base of computer reasoning", the difficulties and the "no immediate need" they have always held).
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

Krutan

• King Crab
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 05:45:12 am »

This is amazing. Well done! Would be awesome if we had dynamic wildlife in Outerra.

andfly

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 07:12:41 pm »

This is amazing. Well done! Would be awesome if we had dynamic wildlife in Outerra.

Sorry I'm late....
Thanks Krutan!   :) :) :)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

andfly

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 07:22:52 pm »

I "put his hands" on the model of the flock of birds to try to improve it and, above all, because I noticed a flaw of this model (and my other earlier) regarding the execution speed of the animations.
I was always aware of this aspect of the simulations and I always connected the timers, set in the script, the value of "dt", which is the time between one frame and the next.
I had not thought that the intensity of the forces (being exercised in every frame) increases in proportion to the value of the FSP, which is not the same for all computers.
With user-driven models the problem is less obvious: If you over-speed you stop operating the motor and the model slows ...
With fully autonomous models the force of movement is decided by the program and varies considerably if it is exercised 30 times per second or 150 times per second !!!
I noticed only when, recently, I changed the computer ...

So I had to equip the script of a small section which "reads" the FPS value and determines a coefficient which is used every time you run a command that carries a "moving force".
In this way the speed of the simulation should be similar for all the computers and similar to the speed that I thought "right" when I built the model.

To be sure of its operation I used the most gentle of HiFlyer cooperation (to which I am very grateful for the time and patience that has dedicated to Tests, and thank you very much), who has just equipped its computers on a Nvidia Gtx 1080 , and therefore is "the opposite extreme," as computing power, of my modest system.

I apologize to anyone who has seen "squirt fast" my models ... have thought the inexperience of an amateur ...
For it is just that, but ... even the mistakes are useful to learn and progress!
When I have a little time I will devote myself to a "restoration" general ...

Here are the links to download the reworked models:

Flock of birds:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgRXRnWWJ5YmZBTG8/view?usp=sharing
(It is installed in a new folder: BIRDS. You can erase, without regret, the old BIRDS450 folder).

Monarch butterflies:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgcDFyS2hiU2dhdEU/view?usp=sharing

A New Model: Colorful butterflies.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgR0drMC1PNFZqYmM/view?usp=sharing

The swarm of wasps did not present any major problems and has remained the same as before.

andfly

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 08:01:24 pm »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:06:01 pm by andfly »

HiFlyer

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 10:41:30 pm »

Very nice as usual.

I was glad to help!  :)
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 10:51:18 pm »

Testing A.S.A.P. Thanks a lot, andlfy!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

andfly

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2016, 10:31:23 pm »

Very nice as usual.

I was glad to help!  :)

Thanks again,    HiFlyer! :)

andfly

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2016, 10:34:29 pm »

Testing A.S.A.P. Thanks a lot, andlfy!

Let's keep our fingers crossed ...

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 12:10:22 am »

Did something change in the way the birds flock moves? I notice it behaves different... IMHO, the previous feels more natural.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

andfly

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »

Did something change in the way the birds flock moves? I notice it behaves different... IMHO, the previous feels more natural.

Well ... actually ....
In an attempt to control the direction of flight and the angle of the birds I have radically changed the method of calculating positions.
I got the goal ... but the movement within individual flocks, lost its previous pseudo-natural ...
I should probably look for a compromise between the previous method and the current ...

I thank you for the good point.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 06:32:15 pm »

In an attempt to control the direction of flight and the angle of the birds I have radically changed the method of calculating positions.

Sorry! That must have implied a lot of work, but I felt it was better to comment this because I really love this flocks!

andfly

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 06:51:05 pm »

Sorry! That must have implied a lot of work, but I felt it was better to comment this because I really love this flocks!

There is absolutely no reason to apologize !!!
I'm realizing that create completely autonomous animations requires many precautions and can be set in many different ways and all effective (each with its advantages and disadvantages), that would be very nice to receive opinions, recommendations and most importantly, criticism to be able to also evaluate points of view different from mine and, if possible, improve.

You did me a great favor!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:21:35 pm by andfly »
Pages: 1 2 [3]