Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Swarms & Flocks  (Read 31972 times)

andfly

Swarms & Flocks
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:35:48 pm »

New version of the models (August 2016):

Flock of birds:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgRXRnWWJ5YmZBTG8/view?usp=sharing
(It is installed in a new folder: BIRDS. It can completely erase, without regret, the old BIRDS450 folder).

Monarch butterflies:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgcDFyS2hiU2dhdEU/view?usp=sharing

A NEW model: Colorful butterflies.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgR0drMC1PNFZqYmM/view?usp=sharing

The swarm of wasps did not present any major problems and has remained the same as before.

P.S.
I forgot an important indication:
These models are published in the "Aircraft" section of the forum because concern "flying" models, however, use the Bullet Phisics, typical of the vehicles, and then appear in the menu Anteworld, including land-based vehicles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

It's all because of KW71 !!!    :-)   :-)   :-)

About a couple of months ago, in his post, he has published a beautiful movie about the flocks of birds that fill the skies of the evening and draw fantastic effects.
It seemed to perceive an implicit invitation to try to reproduce the same effect in the Anteworld sky ... but I immediately thought that the difficulties were too large and that perhaps only the developers could solve it.
Set a large number of birds, each with its own characteristics in JsbSim or Bullet Phisics, all of which must be calculated aerodynamic component and determined (and drawn) the flight path, I figured it would be too burdensome for any computer.
And then draw a large number of instances of the same model would require a wait of several minutes before starting the simulation!
Encoding instead, in C language, the dark clouds of birds, such as Anteworld clouds were created (... using the dynamic particle?), It could play a similar effect to that of the flocks.

Then... 
I had an idea that could afford to build like something , only using conventional tools provided by Outerra and controlled by the usually file in Javascript.
Nothing great ... just a little trick ... and nothing secret!
But I think it's more fun to propose a little game ...
Anyone who can identify the operating principle of the model just snooping in his command file?

However, to get to fly the higher number of birds at the same time, I had to reduce as much as possible the amount of calculations and the complexity of the rendering.

* I drew a highly stylized bird with the minimum number of vertices.
* I gave up to manage the movement of the wings and I set as fixed.
* I gave up the calculations that would determine the "real emergent behavior" of a real flock because they are too heavy (compared with the position and the attitude of all the other birds, or with those closest, to determine the position and attitude of each element).
* I tried to find a method for calculating the positions and velocities based solely on the previous position and the distance from the center of the movement.
A system that would take the flock compact and simultaneously allow a certain freedom of motion enough to be aesthetically similar to reality.

The "aesthetic" outcome is still far from reality (which remains unsurpassed), but I considered this model "publishable" for "numerical" results achieved.
I was able to fly 9000 birds at the same time, by calculating, for each, the coordinates of position, speed and rotation of the three-dimensional space, and ... without reducing exaggerated FPS ... and making them look "individual objects" (which instead "individual" they are not ).

A nice result of this study was the consideration that, using the same method and with small variations in the coefficients of the algorithm of movement, it is possible to simulate the groups of living beings that move in a pseudo-random as the shoals of fish or the insect swarms.

So I also built a swarm of butterflies:
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgcDFyS2hiU2dhdEU/view?usp=sharing
and a swarm of wasps:
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgQkV1SGZfRnFiWHM/view?usp=sharing
They can serve to animate some corner of Anteworld ...

To download the Flock of Birds:
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgSnNfekQ4VHdTNTQ/view?usp=sharing

Note: The basic flock is composed of 9000 elements.
There is also a 4500 version elements for computers under-performing and a version from 18000 items to just try for the most powerful computer (it is clearly exaggerated).

A little video:
(I used the magnificent scenery Talkeetna of Acetone, giving me a little freedom: perhaps in Alaska have never reached monarch butterflies... But we Anteworld ....)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:13:32 pm by andfly »
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
Re: Swarms & Flocks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:27:03 pm »

wOw... :o  you've done well ... congratulations !

So, at my PC still flying 2x18000 without problems (~ 65 fps)...  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:41:55 pm by AH-DG »
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 10:41:44 pm »

Amazing!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:51:20 am »

Interesting results !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 04:20:58 am »

Just wow...

2eyed

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 07:21:13 am »

Really innovative!

Like the wasps most! I almost feel the fear of being stung by them inside the rift. :D
Funny, two of them dont move at all.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:47:24 am by 2eyed »

pstuddy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:29:50 am »

Really innovative!

Like the wasps most! I almost feel the fear of being stung by them inside the rift. :D

how do you make them move?  i spawned them but they are just static and are arranged in a cube formation

2eyed

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 12:07:12 pm »

Really innovative!

how do you make them move?  i spawned them but they are just static and are arranged in a cube formation

Maybe you paused the simulation?

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 12:21:35 pm »

Just... speechless!!! Drop jaw!!!

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

andfly

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »

wOw... :o  you've done well ... congratulations !

So, at my PC still flying 2x18000 without problems (~ 65 fps)...  :)

Thanks AH-DG.
Here is the striking difference between a 940M Mobile, and a "serious" GTX 980 for fixed systems.
I get 31-32 FPS when, without any model running, I stay far enough away from the trees.
With the flock from 9000 elements go down to 21-23 FPS and everything works fine again.
With the model from 18000 birds go down to 11 FPS, and, apart from the most obvious slowness, which, however, would not be a problem, begin to become evident of the annoying flicker that make the simulation "not enjoyable".
I created the version from 18000 items just out of curiosity, as a test ....
Know that it can work without inconveniences makes me happy.

I only hope that, with so many flocks, do not encounter too many collisions that the program do hard work to manage ... (it is a version that, with my computer, I could not test for a long time!).
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

andfly

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 08:13:04 pm »

Amazing!

Thanks Hiflyer.
In fact it was your suggestion to stimulate the attempt to create "small forms of movement" that animate the static landscape of Anteworld.

I'll try to build the other for the sky and the sea.

andfly

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »

Interesting results !

Thanks Python Pago.
I like the idea of entering Anteworld as the discovery of a new and wonderful world ...
I hope to contribute to this feeling.

andfly

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 08:21:28 pm »

Just wow...

Hey...!!!
I thought I saw a great plain full of prehistoric animals !
( How nice it would take her on Anteworld ... )

Although it is not the same thing .... thank you so much!

andfly

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »

Really innovative!
Ah, ah ...
I could not enter into the model also necessary "insect repellent", and then .... careful !!!

Yes, it's true.
One does not move because it is the central element of the swarm and everything revolves around him.
The second ... I have not found out why it does not move!
Probably it is a little bug hidden somewhere in the definition and the use of arrays of position or movement.
An inaccurate index, undercounting, an inverted sign ... an error that, when you find him, you call yourself stupid enough not only to have seen him before!
I thought I'd fix it "later" and I have dedicated myself to tests to determine the overall movement of the swarm and then ... I forgot!
Thank you for reminding me.

pstuddy

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 08:36:17 pm »

Maybe you paused the simulation?

how do you un-pause?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:38:52 pm by pstuddy »
Pages: [1] 2 3