Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Next big update  (Read 29883 times)

Player1

Next big update
« on: June 12, 2016, 07:33:32 am »

Hi guys,

which features will be included in the next big update and when is it supposed to come? I am really curious since the last one brought rivers, a more precise road system and a lot of other cool stuff with it and I wonder what there is next. You are doing really well! It must be a lot of hard work, but therefore the engine is fantastic. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Next big update
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 01:46:54 pm »

Some of this:

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 05:22:35 pm »

Those developer highlights of what is coming are the best thing ever. I am probably exaggerating a bit, but that's how I feel when I see them after long periods of silence. I wish we had them on a more regular basis. Doing this in video format could be tedious, so even little written updates would suffice. And also blog, I wish it was more active too :(
I am really hyped about upcoming features though!

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 07:29:04 pm »

Those developer highlights of what is coming are the best thing ever. I am probably exaggerating a bit, but that's how I feel when I see them after long periods of silence. I wish we had them on a more regular basis. Doing this in video format could be tedious, so even little written updates would suffice. And also blog, I wish it was more active too :(
I am really hyped about upcoming features though!

Yeah, that's why I mentioned developer diaries a while ago!  :D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56:02 pm »

*Improvedcollisionwillnotimproveyouraim  Pleasedrinkresponsibly  ^-^

??? Aw man, I was kinda thinkin' that was my area for a while.... but I don't think so.  :P

Personally, I'm waiting for improvements to the road markings, particularly the issue with plain sections automatically being thinner than the marked sections with margins outside the white lines.  Can't work with that...  Among other marking issues.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:02:59 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

andfly

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:55:29 pm »

Some of this:   . . .

The realism of these collisions is really impressive !
Huge thumbs up !!!

You wrote: "Box, sphere and capsule shapes supported so far."

Only if you defined as isolated objects or you can apply this "collision ability" even at a meches of a model ?

I think, for example, to a mechanical arm that extends outside of the bounding box and is able to interact with the surrounding environment ...
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 01:20:13 am »

If the model is made up of animated collision shapes, and you animate them, then it will have collisions as well. However, Bullet physics still does some unexpected things so the reaction often isn't what it should be. It could be seen on the mercenary which is made of several such shapes, when he's interacting with the ball. He wouldn't kick it, it just shifts away from the intersection and loses momentum.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 01:28:44 am »

And I think maybe those balls were frictionless and liable to go on forever if not stopped.  :o :)
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 03:44:29 am »

Yep, they do not bounce, do not see the grass, do not react to water ... can of worms.

Player1

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:33 am »

That looks pretty cool. :) What I personally would love very much is the improvement of the ocean. The coastlines are very buggy sometimes, and what matters more to me are the land areas below sea level, which are all flooded in Outerra, for example the Netherlands or parts of Northern Germany. That plus lakes, different realistic biomes and railways would make Outerra perfect in my opinion. :D

josem75

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 06:51:27 am »

Looking great cameni!
first i though was: maybe this will finally change the bad vehicle behaivor during accidents?
As i think actually those crazy bounces are connected with how car chasis collide with the complex terrain outerra has. (normally before bounces, the terrain swallow car as collisions missings, coz i suppouse only tires collide propperly actually)

Yep, they do not bounce, do not see the grass, do not react to water ... can of worms.

But i have hopes in balls. Pills was bouncing good at 3:16
Seriusly. It will be posible ball bounce, or its something that bullet limits somehow at the moment?

PD: Mercenary GREAT ball control at 1:51 xDD    Finally he will be able to play football in the vaaast green outerra areas ))
Time ago i had a weird (and i know imposible) idea. Represent diferent stadiums around the world, then connect some football game where people play against each other. So while you fly around outerra you can see those matches inside the stadiums. xD  (and similar with other things diferent than football, would be the game of games..).
But maybe by the moment we can teach mercenary a bit. Eventually even adding moves in his leg for shot the ball strong :)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:12:35 am by josem75 »

zombie00

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:31 am »

Not sure if everyone noticed that, but the video description there says "Also shown alpha OSM road import", which means that road on the back was automatically made from the OSM database. We might finally get miles and miles of roads? That's pretty fu**ing rad if you ask me. As physics improve, we might also get better ground vehicle simulation, I'm not a plane guy, but I do enjoy cars, so this is good news for me :D.
Also, the collision is looking pretty great as it is, are you guys now working on differentiated surface frictions too? I remember reading that surface friction was on the to-do list not long ago.
A bit of a dumb question here, but, would having spherical (or just round) collision model for the soldier help with the way he interacts with the ball? I know bullet works with collision margins and has different algorithm to calculate the interaction between different shapes, maybe it is viable to play around with that to reduce the unexpected reactions, to get more consistent collisions.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:37:30 pm by zombie00 »

Player1

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 07:52:19 am »

Hi,

I want to "revive" this topic. :D I am always extremely curious about the upcoming features in Outerra and I guess many others are too. Now, it has already been a month since 16.7057. In which time can we expect the next version, what will it bring with it and could you maybe make something like a dev-diary or to-do list which you regularly update? People like me are suffering from the lacking information as you might notice. XD

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 03:26:52 pm »

We don't know which feature will become stable and usable the first, so it's not always easy to tell which ones will show up and when. Here's an incomplete list of stuff being worked on:

• flexible and breakable trees, vehicles able to overcome small ones (this is already mostly done on the physics side, but bending billboards would not be spectacular)
  • new object rendering pipeline allowing easier and more powerful usage by the rest of the engine
  • subsystem for generated-geometry (for railroads, poles, bridges, tunnels but also vegetation clutter), depends on the object rendering pipeline
  • enhanced terrain rendering (support for better materials, multiple terrain types ...), also optimizations in terrain rendering
  • new particle system, support for long smoke trails etc
  • reworking the water rendering
  • enhancing rendering distance for runways and rivers
  • further optimizing the physics subsystem

• networking for player-hosted servers, support for custom models/data
  • framework for game code usable in single and multi-player scenarios (this is a very wide task that includes deeper changes to how characters and vehicles will be handled)

• fixing OSM road/river import
  • working on OSM buildings import
  • working on higher resolution imagery data import (processing terabytes of raw imagery data), forest data
  • incorporating lithology (surface rock) data, support for different erosion patterns
  • support for multiple base terrain types combined procedurally and using lithologic and surface-type data
  • working on global water level data, bringing support for lakes and land below the mean sea level (and handling conflicts with river data)
and finally
  • The Game

Some screens from the imagery import: 30m imagery, no vegetation, compared to the current 500m data for area around Madrid:

2eyed

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 04:20:32 pm »

A lot of tasks to perform as always. Squeezing the world into a PC isn't quite trivial. ;)

Hopefully you only forgot to mention better vr support.

With 30m imagery we will see man made structures (more obviously). How is this compatible with a "Anteworld"?
Pages: [1] 2 3